Disney Is Resetting the Star Wars Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While some parties continue to insist that Star Wars was derailed by “a loud movement of racist, misogynist” fans, Disney and Lucasfilm have reportedly accepted the fact that they were the ones who destroyed the franchise. Amid LEGO Star Wars Days’ cancellation, a major fan event, one inside source told Rebelscum.com the company is limiting Star Wars exposure to “reset the franchise and allow fans to heal.”

In the wake of The Last Jedi's failure, which subsequently saw the Han Solo movie as the worst performing Star Wars movie ever, Disney CEO Bob Iger said the Star Wars movies will be slowed down, and it is also known a new movie or franchise, thought to be from Rian Johnson, has been placed on the backburner or canceled.

Everything they've done is unfortunately canon now. I seriously doubt they will hard reboot the franchise.

IMO, Disney is incapable of creating a Star Wars movie I'd want to watch. I doubt they'd do anything like Rogue One again, and that was the only thing they've made that wasn't utter crap. Prove me wrong, Disney... if you can.

Their only hope is to go MCU type movies and throw the timeline back to the Old Republic with tons of Jedi and all sorts of wild stuff.

Reactions: mct
like this
I love the idea that your shitty movies with some of the worst canned writing were killed off by a few howling retreads on the internet.

Anyone remember when Luke beat the bad guys by refusing to fight?

How does that compare to the new protagonist having to be yet another John Rambo type ass-kicker?

I'm not that much of a Star Wars fan, but I know a canned plot when I see one.

a lot of people complained that SW never had anything new just relied on the same old shit. When they actually do something new it's piss poor and people hate it. Even the God awful prequels did something new. People fucking hated it. It's a lose lose situation. Do you want George to make another SW film? Fuck no. Make one more movie rap it up and be done with it for another 20 years.

Fox owns the unedited movie rights so once the Disney acquisition of Fox is completed then they'll release them on 4K UHD disc.

Once Disney acquires the full rights to all Star Wars films, a UHD re-release of everything is a given. The important part question is, will they give us the theatrical versions? Giving die-hard fans the version they have been asking for for 20 years would be monumental for regaining their trust, showing that maybe Disney actually is listening.

And FFS they need to re-watch the battle sequences of Rogue One and make them at least as good as that. That should be the baseline.

That movie was surprisingly good for a Star Wars film. None of the odd Jedi crap and a plot line that was very central to the main story of the series. Can't say I cared much for the model ships (CGI looks better) but the combat scenes in general were great because you got a nice sense of scale of it all. They certainly need to emulate that in whatever else they do.

Fox owns the unedited movie rights so once the Disney acquisition of Fox is completed then they'll release them on 4K UHD disc.

Don't count on it. Even assuming they're able to find prints of the originals in good enough condition to be usable (something fan projects have issues with as well) it would be a huge time and cost investment to remaster them. Beyond that they have also already stated that they are not going to touch Lucas' films. Lucas considers the blu-ray releases to be the definitive versions of his movies and that's that. And even going beyond that, just last year Pablo Hidalgo, part of the Lucasfilm Story Group, put rumors of the Fox purchase allowing Disney to release them to bed. As long as Kathleen Kennedy is calling the shots the unedited trilogy will never see a rerelease.

Solo was alright, but TLJ was crap! if a 8yo and an 11yo come out going "that wasn't really starwars" something is wrong ...

Solo got hit because why should people take a chance when that tripe was rammed down our throats. TFA and RogueOne were good.

What disney needs todo if they want to reset it is launch a 30min movie where you see yoda in a force vision seeing kylo and rey fighting... Yodo goes "no no, all wrong it is, must stop this". He comes out of the trance to walk into the Jedi council chamber where Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi are presenting a young Anakin and Yoda just cuts him to pieces

" Brought Balance to the force young Anakin did, by killing all Jedi until just there was just two to be"

I grew up with the originals. I hate Episodes 1-3 and always will (they were kids' movies). I deeply dislike the "enhanced" versions of the originals (sure, fix some things, but don't add or change shit).

I actually like The Force Awakens, love Rogue One, and love Solo. All three were wonderful. I liked The Last Jedi, but it has some serious problems, and it was super unfortunate that Solo came out so quickly after. I really think it was as good a movie will ever be for Solo's backstory.

I'm still game for all of this, but I would hope whoever wrote, directed, and greenlit the major ideas in The Last Jedi would not be involved in the third movie or in any others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back