Disney + increases price by $1

I love how they timed the first yearly subscriptions to expire when Season 2 of the Mandalorian was just starting up.

I'm fine with that. I get a lot of use out of it and with the new marvel shows coming, still worth it to me.

Price creep, Netflix successfully been doing this. Sell you their 4K for extra and then reduce quality during the pandemic and not reduce your cost. For me it is $18/month, about ready to dump them. I get better and more entertainment from HardOCP. These streaming services have ravaged, lol, cable networks. You now see the same movies over and over and over on multiple channels even playing the same movie at the same time on a different network. Comcast I will be dumping their TV and just be using their internet services, will save me about $150 a month which I am nowhere getting that amount in content from them. Have to do an entertainment reset.

Price creep, Netflix successfully been doing this. Sell you their 4K for extra and then reduce quality during the pandemic and not reduce your cost. For me it is $18/month, about ready to dump them. I get better and more entertainment from HardOCP. These streaming services have ravaged, lol, cable networks. You now see the same movies over and over and over on multiple channels even playing the same movie at the same time on a different network. Comcast I will be dumping their TV and just be using their internet services, will save me about $150 a month which I am nowhere getting that amount in content from them. Have to do an entertainment reset.
You have to from time to time. Just cancel everything and then you find out what you really miss the most and then get that back or you find you miss none of them.

At least it's only a buck. Still, more and more companies are splintering off with their own services. Everyone only wanted "just pay for what I watch!" Now you can do that...only when you factor in the cost of internet and dozens of services with intentionally splintered content we're back to paying more than cable. Enjoy!

At least it's only a buck. Still, more and more companies are splintering off with their own services. Everyone only wanted "just pay for what I watch!" Now you can do that...only when you factor in the cost of internet and dozens of services with intentionally splintered content we're back to paying more than cable. Enjoy!
Good job to the ala carte whiners indeed.

Netflix has been doing it year after year and people keep buying it. Disney will do the same.

Thankfully for me, Disney+, ESPN, Hulu all come included at no charge with my insanely overpriced Verizon wireless plan!
Same but my job pays for my plan. ;)

Did we go to the completely opposite, do not pay just for what you watch, buy complete streaming access for a giant library you watch less than 1% of the content, same price if you watch 0 hours or 40 hours that month.

Netflix disconnected us quite a lot of the pay for what you rent at the video store/itunes/cable box VOD.

They're still a few dollars cheaper than Netflix, which gives them PLENTY of time to raise the prices and play catch up :rolleyes:

everything increases in price. you used to be able to buy a cheese burger for $0.50... get upset if there are multiple increases every year or massive jumps.

I showed them. I paid $350 for a 5 year plan. I've now saved $60 versus you "sign up today" suckers!
Depending on your payment structure, say for an extreme case of $350 all in advance for 5 year's

https://www.calculatestuff.com/financial/npv-calculator

If you use a low %4 amortization rate, that the equivalent of $78.65 a year in cashflow (near $400 in total) + how much value to have a for sure customer that cannot leave during that time

Just think, had Disney not done this you could have taken that saved dollar a month and paid off an RTX3090 in 124 years and 11 months

This also becomes exponentially worse with the new era of streaming of new release movies like WonderWoman 1984 has started with HBOMax. Once that goes wild prices will dramatically increase across the board and movie theaters become amazon warehouses.

ATT TV and Redbox is the only entertainment space I use besides Youtube.

Ah the old Frog in the boiling water bit...

Never have and never will pay for a subscription service like Disney or Netflix. I just don't watch enough TV to justify it.

Netflix has been doing it year after year and people keep buying it. Disney will do the same.

Thankfully for me, Disney+, ESPN, Hulu all come included at no charge with my insanely overpriced Verizon wireless plan!

I think the Verizon offer is expiring soon. Mine did.

I showed them. I paid $350 for a 5 year plan. I've now saved $60 versus you "sign up today" suckers!

Same! Mine was the 3yr plan though.

with all the new Star Wars and Marvel content they announced yesterday a $1 price increase is nothing...much better then HBO Max's $14.99...

So Disney recently announces at their stock holders meetings that the 60+M subscribers that the anticipated having after 4 years has been destroyed in less than 1 year with over 80M subscribers, and their new goal is 250M in 4 years... so they basically made way more money, way more quickly than they had thought they would and... they're increasing prices. Yeah...

Yo ho ho ho... a pirates life for me.

So Disney recently announces at their stock holders meetings that the 60+M subscribers that the anticipated having after 4 years has been destroyed in less than 1 year with over 80M subscribers, and their new goal is 250M in 4 years... so they basically made way more money, way more quickly than they had thought they would and... they're increasing prices. Yeah...
It is a double edged sword, Disney biggest source of revenues was by a big amount television in that space, the success of Disney+ tend to correlate to the destruction of Disney television revenues and Disney physical home entertainment division (that was a really well managed value wise with their volt system and all that jazz).

Imagine if Apple would have launched a very cheap Iphone and would have been a giant success, for many of those sales it would have mean not selling a regular priced one, that why they waited so long to release an Ipad Mini. Now take that example back, Apple launch a new $200 Iphone it is a giant success vampirising the regular Iphone faster than expected and they announce they rise the price of the more popular than expected new smaller Iphone to their investor. But in Disney case, they didn't made more money than expected in general, their park, movie production, hotel business has been completely destroyed all around the word by a world pandemy:

Disney Q3 2020:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1028537/quarterly-revenue-walt-disney-company-by-segment/

Is not down by half of Q1 2020, but not that far either.

It Begins.gif

You have to from time to time. Just cancel everything and then you find out what you really miss the most and then get that back or you find you miss none of them.
Yep, I can see me in the near future looking in the Walmart bargain bin of $1 scattered DVDs/Blu-Rays looking for a treasure that wont be.

I dropped netflix at $8, haven't subbed to a streaming service since (aside from prime, but only as a consequence, and I've dropped that now, too).

I'll rent or buy if I really want to watch something. I'm tired of being wrung for something I spend a couple hours a day watching (if that). I guess I understand the draw if you have others who watch when you aren't, or if you just have that much free time, though.

I thought all the dorks did that PLEX thing.

XD
Hey, I do that PLEX thing as well as pay for Disney+
That's right! I pay for the Mandalorian and watch it on Disney+ the same night that I download a 4k disneyplus atmos rip to add to my library for the future!

Hey, I do that PLEX thing as well as pay for Disney+
That's right! I pay for the Mandalorian and watch it on Disney+ the same night that I download a 4k disneyplus atmos rip to add to my library for the future!

I hate streaming. Always do local copy. Sorry.

I think the Verizon offer is expiring soon. Mine did.

This is false. You may be possibly thinking about the initial free 12 month offer they had for a while. If you have the "Play More" or "Get More" unlimited plans, you get Disney +, Hulu, and ESPN and that 12 months for free rolls over to being free and included for as long as you keep that plan.

Having kids, I think my cut-off point is going to be probably around 30$ a month. Seriously. The amount of content for the under 10 crowd is no joke

All these streaming services are garbage. None of them have the classic movies or programs that I want to watch. All shifting you to SJW garbage. Where can I watch old movies and series from the 80's / 90's?

I liked Stranger Things, The Mandalorian, the first episode of Picard and ESPN + CBS for sports, 80s + 90s movies. I might be willing to pay a buck or two for each. I'm not willing to pay ($14 + $13 + $6) x 12 = $400 / year for that crap. None of that will give you any decent movies or shows, either.

You can buy the entire Marvel catalog on Blu-Ray for 23 x $10 = ~$230 (eBay). I only cared to watch about half of those movies and I already saw them in the theaters. What's my incentive to pay for any of this?

Back