Disney Ditching Netflix Keeps Piracy Relevant

<snip>

This will be the first time a new Star Trek show airs and I dont see it as it airs. CBS has killed the show before it even started by locking it down to their service only. Disney will have the same issue with shows they put on there.

I only hope it wont take them long, or many destroyed shows, to realise this is a bad idea...monumentally bad idea.

I'll watch Star Trek Discovery the evening it airs, they just won't be getting money for it. /shrug

I'll watch Star Trek Discovery the evening it airs, they just won't be getting money for it. /shrug

I will wait for it to come out on some torrent site which isnt watching it as it airs. But the fact that many of us will do this...is what will kill the show. They will point and say its not popular and not even stop to think it was their restrictive distribution method that caused the problem.

Not sure a lot of people would really consider getting prime solely for the streaming they have. To me its just a bonus that comes along with what is effectively pre-paying for shipping costs I know I'd end up paying otherwise.

yeah prime for me is all about the shipping. the video and music streaming side rarely gets used.

I will wait for it to come out on some torrent site which isnt watching it as it airs. But the fact that many of us will do this...is what will kill the show. They will point and say its not popular and not even stop to think it was their restrictive distribution method that caused the problem.

Oh yeah, me too... but an HD torrent will be up that evening. I'll just watch it at 10 - 11, instead of air time.

Reactions: kju1
like this
Cable is going to become appealing again. This is like getting beat to death with feathers.

Yes, because I want to have to open a separate slow/shitty/buggy app for every service, on top of paying for each one individually..... It's painfull enough just switching between prime and netflix on the wii u/xbox. But my htpc connected to my fileserver running usenet powers on instantly with the content immediately available.... Makes the decision pretty easy....

Legal paid services will never give us what we truly want. A one stop place, where the streaming service has all the movies in the world in one large database. We don't want to pay multiple streaming services, we want to pay one time fee and access everything. Too many services, competition and country restrictions exist, so weak. For once, stand up and work together companies.

Each service is like a network now, and the internet is the new TV. At some point when costs equal that of cable, it'll fail.

Each service is like a network now, and the internet is the new TV. At some point when costs equal that of cable, it'll fail.

My internet already costs more than my cable TV bill did ;)

Nah

Streaming has come a LONG way in the last couple years. They have even introduced Dolby Atmos on Vudu.

Between streaming and redbox I barely buy a movie anymore.

It sure has, but for instance Netflix has also reduced video bitrate over the years as well. They have HDR and all this but IMHO, who cares without having high quality video? This kind of reminds me of the way consoles are going to 4K and they couldn't even do proper 1080p. With streaming I would have preferred very high quality 1080p stream to crappy 4K. However right now both streams are crappy. Personally I'd deal with inconvenience of BD to have a substantially higher quality video. If stream quality and content selection was good, I'd go for it (put gigabit FIOS to good use maybe).

Cable will start to make sense again because of cost. Its only a matter of time before every major studio "cuts off the middle man" and have their own streaming service.
I don't think the cable model will ever make sense again. Why pay for content you don't consume, at times you don't choose, and pay to be forcefed ads on top of that?

Reactions: Gavv
like this
But but but pirates always wanted a la carte consumption options!!!

Apparently they just wanted everything for $15 / month.

Not quite. People didn't want to pay +$20 on their cable bill for one or two channels they'll actually watch and 18 they won't. The content providers force these bundles on the TV providers who have to force them on the consumers.
For example, when I had Dish, there are few channels I'd watch on Dish (one is Science channel). Yet they have it in their upper tier package so it's +$30 a month for those channels.

They've essentially cut out the TV providers in the process and are still shoveling the same model.

A la carte isn't "we want access to your entire library and to be billed accordingly." Continued below the quote ...

Cable will start to make sense again because of cost. Its only a matter of time before every major studio "cuts off the middle man" and have their own streaming service.

Some of these streamers would be better off adopting an a la carte model with an established provider. Hulu is in the position to be that provider. For example, if you want Science Channel shows, you add $X/mo to the Hulu sub. These mini-subs would serve the people who want specific channels (and their shows), but don't want the entire catalog. I'd rather pay $25/mo for a curated catalog selection over $50 for a hodgepodge of shit I won't watch.

Instead they're fragmenting the user base by making everyone buy their whole catalog, so if you like a few shows from each major provider you'll end up paying the same amount as cable.

Tldr;
They need to get out of their own asses and separate content from company. Just because I want Science Channel shows doesn't mean I want the entire Discovery Networks catalog.

So much easier to just torrent everything. Who can even keep track of all of these streaming services anymore?

Reactions: Gavv
like this
Yes, everything I am interested in. My Tivo has worked just fine for me forever practically.

I like my tivo, but cable isn't going to last in the same form it's been in.

Put it this way.. I pay $136 just for cable, the ability to DVR it, and the ability to watch it in some from between 720p and 1080p. That can pay for a shitload of streaming services. To the point people will leave. I know I don't like paying it when streaming already has better resolution and time shifting built in for free. Which is why the latest gen of TIVO boxes have been improving OTA support and streaming app support. Streaming network vericle integration is, more or less, how we arrive at ala carte like we asked for. Don't buy the services you don't want. It's jsut pricier than we wanted it per "unit".

The real problem is professional sports. That's a lot of high dollar multi-year deals based on legacy technology and how it was organized to unravel. I suspect the interim answer to that is you will be paying more for sports if you are a sports fan.

I definitely see piracy increase and Disney losing money. Disney has some good things. Not good enough to warrant me purchasing their subscription service.

They still won't release the original Star wars trilogy. Disney doesn't understand that if they offer their good and services across many different platforms they stand to make more money.

I subscribe to 2 services (well 3 if you count Amazon Prime, but I use that for the shipping perk, the video is an added bonus that I rarely use). I'm not going to pay for another one. Even if it is Disney.

Netflix has a huge catalog. Disney will need to get others to join them to get me interested. I'm not going to subscribe for just Disney owned franchises (Marvel, Star Wars, etc.).

I subscribe to 4 services: Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBONOW, and SlingTV. I suppose Disney will have to pull their channel and the streamable content off of SlingTV to make their own service viable.

disney's retarded as hell if they think they'll make more money with their own service than what netflix has to pay them just to put their content on netflix..

There paid professional business men disagree with some random on the internet.

If Disney pulls their streaming from SlingTV, then I can upgrade to get NFL network without the kids griping.

Then again, sad that no more star wars movies on netflix. Hell no, not buying disney streaming.

I honestly wouldn't mind this, if they took the Amazon approach. Starz, HBO, Showtime, etc. all are add-on subscriptions. I understand if a company wants money. And maybe that's an approach Netflix needs to go. Netflix with the Disney add-on. But if you expect me to have Netflix, Amazon, and Disney, think again.

Judging by the way television progressed over the years, I'd wager the internet will more likely to emulate it, not vice versa.

Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that in the future everything will be about wringing every last penny from consumers - functionality of the product or service be damned.

Judging by the way television progressed over the years, I'd wager the internet will more likely to emulate it, not vice versa.

Call me crazy, but I have a hunch that in the future everything will be about wringing every last penny from consumers - functionality of the product or service be damned.

This is the current model and I don't see that changing.

Everyone has a budget for entertainment. Mine peaked at 70 a month when I was with dish. My new limit is 25. OTA provides me TV service, Netflix and Prime provide additional. The only reason for prime is shipping and I wouldn't be disappointed to not have the video service.

But I would not purchase Disney or for that matter any streaming service besides one. Mainly because I despise this nickel and dime approach... though it's not nickel and dimes. Before to long it's back to this huge monthly bill for garbage TV/entertainment.

Disney can do what it wants but they won't get money from me and to me that's okay. I understand they want Our money and it's their job to get it...some will use their service some won't. We will eventually see the same thing with these services we see with TV.. people will say enough and use other avenues.

They create their own problems in that respect.

I have to agree with most on this thread. I also have to emphasize that we're seeing the continual progression that started with OTA tv>cable>satelite>internet streaming. First individual networks, then packages of containing networks, then networks/brands wanting to individualize their services again, and likely at some point another entity will broker a package deal again combining some networks. It's really just a matter of when, not if. Honestly, whether cable or satellite we are already getting a form of digital streaming coming from the providers CO's in an enclosed ecosystem. The internet streaming phenomenon that occurred in the last 5-10 years just briefly broke that chain and now its going back until the next cycle.

Back