Disney Details "Star Wars" Live-Action TV Series "The Mandalorian"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Disney has released new details on the upcoming live-action “Star Wars” TV series, which will play exclusively on its as-of-yet-untitled streaming service: written and produced by Jon Favreau (“Iron Man”), “The Mandalorian” will tell the tales of, well, a Mandalorian, following “the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order.” Both Jango Fett and Boba Fett wore the armor of these legendary warriors, who fought against the Jedi.

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe,” read his post, in the style of a “Star Wars” opening crawl. “The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”

My fingers are crossed. Hopefully the "Fett" can be redeemed. I really hated how they killed off Boba Fett in the ROTJ. C'mon - this guy was a bad ass and presumably can't get out of the monsters pit?
I'd love to see something gritty like Rogue Squadron. It had rebel assassins, very grey characters, and did not seem to cater to children like many of the other Star Wars movies.

Started hearing bits about this thru out the week. Kind of excited. Has some serious potential. I think after Rogue One they finally saw everything doesn't have to be jedicentric in order to have an audience to enjoy. One of my most favorite games ever was Star Wars Bounty Hunter and that shares a number of similarities to this.

too bad it's exclusive to that new Disney streaming platform...even DC recently launched their own subscription platform...is the future going to be subscribing to dozens of platforms to watch all the content you want?

I agree. The entity that puts together a package with Disney, DC, CBS at say, $15-20 per month less than the normal prices combined gets my money. Otherwise not giving in to this selective crap. I'll just wait for the complete season boxes of the shows I like until then.

My fingers are crossed. Hopefully the "Fett" can be redeemed. I really hated how they killed off Boba Fett in the ROTJ. C'mon - this guy was a bad ass and presumably can't get out of the monsters pit?
I'd love to see something gritty like Rogue Squadron. It had rebel assassins, very grey characters, and did not seem to cater to children like many of the other Star Wars movies.
Fett didn't die, he survived the Sarlacc pit. Dengar nursed him back to health.

Please no SJW antics. Please no SJW antics...

I regret to inform you that there is a high likelihood of non straight white males in the series. I know this is horrible and signals the death knell of Star Wars and modern science fiction as a whole, but I just wanted to be realistic with you.

:rolleyes:

I regret to inform you that there is a high likelihood of non straight white males in the series. I know this is horrible and signals the death knell of Star Wars and modern science fiction as a whole, but I just wanted to be realistic with you.

I regret to inform you, that SJW antics are not what you apparently believe they are.

Changing established characters for the sake of diversity = SJW antics
Introducing new well written and diverse characters without the diversity of that character being their only defining trait = GOOD

Having the sexual preference of characters be the main focus of a story, in a setting where that was never even an issue = SJW antics
Writing side stories for characters that further explore their background regardless of what those preferences might be = GOOD

Going out of your way to flip an entire set of leadership to be a single sex just because "the other ones had their turn" = SJW antics
Including well written and diverse characters into leadership positions = GOOD

Hell, I'll even give you examples from TLJ since this is a star wars thread.

Apparently Poe is supposed to be gay. Fine, whatever, it's not relevant to the story and hasn't attempted to make itself relevant in the story(since there's been more pressing issues, usually combat).

Rey, terrible character. Not because she's female, not because of how she dresses. She's a terrible character because she managed to advance in her first movie as much as Luke did in 3 movies while receiving at least something resembling training by TWO Jedi masters, yet can inexplicably compete with Kylo Ren who was presumably trained by Luke himself for at least months and as explained in exposition undergoes training from Snoke.

Killing the entire rebel command staff and conveniently only leaving women in charge. Poe is apparently the highest ranking male officer in the rebellion now? Apparently all of the male command staff was on the bridge at the time it got blown up, yet Vice Admiral Holdo wasn't?

Vice Admiral Holdo. Vice Admiral, wear a damn uniform on a ship in combat. Not a silly looking dress that extends so far past your feet you have trouble getting your feet onto the foot rest of a chair on the bridge of a ship(not sure how many bridges the Raddus had, but whatever). Even ignoring the foot rest on that chair, how the hell did her stupid dress not get ripped to shreds getting caught on every bulkhead, floor grate, edge of a console, etc. walking through that ship? Holdo is a moron and could have prevent an obviously about to occur mutiny simply by informing a trusted officer(Poe, regardless of how much of a dickhead he had been earlier) of her plans regarding the shuttles and nearby planet, and instead making herself look like an idiot who didn't know what she was doing. Why? Not because Holdo is a woman, because Holdo is a poorly written character. Even Mon Mothma, who was previously the leader of the rebellion, and a woman, that no one complained about, and wore a dress(that wasn't some revealing evening gown)... was not in the middle of a combat zone walking around a ship in that dress AND didn't wear a dress that was so long it dragged on the floor 3 feet behind her impeding her ability to walk or sit down, AND actually conducted meetings with the other ranking officers in the rebellion to discuss plans instead of keeping people in the dark. Speaking of female characters in dresses, what the hell happened to Leia's reasonable attire from episode 7? Hell, why not just put Rose in a dress while they were at it?

Rose. It's funny, at first I thought she might have been in a relationship with the girl who got killed in the bombing run, turned out to just be her sister. Frankly, I'd have been fine with either. Oh well. OK character for the most part, except almost killing Finn while ignoring the miniature deathstar laser shooting at all of their friends in the base, and almost killing herself in the process, because Finn sacrificing himself would have been bad, but Rose sacrificing herself to stop him(or kill him in the process) was fine? WTF kind of logic is that?

When agendas come before good writing, that is when it's "SJW antics" and it's annoying.

Thank you so much for that!
No problem. I just wanted to point out that agendas(frankly from either side, I'm sick of politics in my entertainment) are annoying when they come before everything else in the movie, which is what TLJ(and 7 to an extent) did. They seem to have put more thought in TLJ into making female characters, without realizing how absolutely idiotic it is to have them walking around in evening gowns on ships in combat which is ironically backwards if you think about it.

I regret to inform you, that SJW antics are not what you apparently believe they are.

Introducing new well written and diverse characters without the diversity of that character being their only defining trait = GOOD

Having the sexual preference of characters be the main focus of a story, in a setting where that was never even an issue = SJW antics
Writing side stories for characters that further explore their background regardless of what those preferences might be = GOOD

Going out of your way to flip an entire set of leadership to be a single sex just because "the other ones had their turn" = SJW antics

Apparently Poe is supposed to be gay. Fine, whatever, it's not relevant to the story and hasn't attempted to make itself relevant in the story(since there's been more pressing issues, usually combat).

Rey, terrible character. Not because she's female, not because of how she dresses. She's a terrible character because she managed to advance in her first movie as much as Luke did in 3 movies while receiving at least something resembling training by TWO Jedi masters, yet can inexplicably compete with Kylo Ren who was presumably trained by Luke himself for at least months and as explained in exposition undergoes training from Snoke.

Killing the entire rebel command staff and conveniently only leaving women in charge. Poe is apparently the highest ranking male officer in the rebellion now? Apparently all of the male command staff was on the bridge at the time it got blown up, yet Vice Admiral Holdo wasn't?

Vice Admiral Holdo. Vice Admiral, wear a damn uniform on a ship in combat. Not a silly looking dress that extends so far past your feet you have trouble getting your feet onto the foot rest of a chair on the bridge of a ship(not sure how many bridges the Raddus had, but whatever). Even ignoring the foot rest on that chair, how the hell did her stupid dress not get ripped to shreds getting caught on every bulkhead, floor grate, edge of a console, etc. walking through that ship? Holdo is a moron and could have prevent an obviously about to occur mutiny simply by informing a trusted officer(Poe, regardless of how much of a dickhead he had been earlier) of her plans regarding the shuttles and nearby planet, and instead making herself look like an idiot who didn't know what she was doing. Why? Not because Holdo is a woman, because Holdo is a poorly written character. Even Mon Mothma, who was previously the leader of the rebellion, and a woman, that no one complained about, and wore a dress(that wasn't some revealing evening gown)... was not in the middle of a combat zone walking around a ship in that dress AND didn't wear a dress that was so long it dragged on the floor 3 feet behind her impeding her ability to walk or sit down, AND actually conducted meetings with the other ranking officers in the rebellion to discuss plans instead of keeping people in the dark. Speaking of female characters in dresses, what the hell happened to Leia's reasonable attire from episode 7? Hell, why not just put Rose in a dress while they were at it?

Rose. It's funny, at first I thought she might have been in a relationship with the girl who got killed in the bombing run, turned out to just be her sister. Frankly, I'd have been fine with either. Oh well. OK character for the most part, except almost killing Finn while ignoring the miniature deathstar laser shooting at all of their friends in the base, and almost killing herself in the process, because Finn sacrificing himself would have been bad, but Rose sacrificing herself to stop him(or kill him in the process) was fine? WTF kind of logic is that?

When agendas come before good writing, that is when it's "SJW antics" and it's annoying.

Well stated. One of the best non-biased analytical assessments I've seen on any thread about these points.

As long as their character description isn't "token minority" it's all good.

It's a pretty good indicator of bad writing as priorities are askew from entertainment to virtue signalling and preaching.

If they actually followed the EU books this would be about how Boba actually escaped the Sarlac. Being that it is Disney and all they will come up with some lame story, Soloesque.
One can only hope they get the right director to do the movie justice.

I read that the bounty hunter would be female. Not sure if it is true though.
There was a female bounty hunter in AToC as well....whats your point? She got offed by another BH.....as long as its a good character development and not just there for the sake of argument and terrible story why does it matter?

I hate streaming exclusive. But I don't mind if they release all episodes at once. Knowing them it probably won't be so you gotta shell out every month. I really don't torrent shit anymore but when I gotta have 20 gazillion membership to watch a show I am like WTF! lol

Fett didn't die, he survived the Sarlacc pit. Dengar nursed him back to health.

That's no longer canon as it's Legends-canon (pre-disney). With the current canon he's still in the sarlacc's stomach being digested for a thousand years

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Boba_Fett

Star Wars Rebels had Sabine who was a female Mandalorian and Rebels is canon. I hope this brings her back.

If this is about Sabine that'd be amazing. Only good character in the Rebels show; besides Ahsoka Tano who really does need a full movie

Last edited:
After TLJ and Solo I can no longer feel excited about live action Star Wars projects from Disney or just Star Wars in general. I think I have reached max saturation of SW and it now has become toxic to me.

Knowing Disney, they'll have Boba Fett have a long talk with the Sarlacc, discuss their differences and become lifelong friends. (Maybe even join him on adventures, but they'll probably saddle him with a young kid Cause it's Disney) :ROFLMAO:

Even worse, both Star Wars and Star Trek have accused fans of being discriminatory, racist, and intolerant as a smokescreen! It's bullshit. Just because we point out SERIOUS flaws with the storytelling doesn't mean we are intolerant racist asshats! I refuse to buy into their gaslighting, so should everyone else.

This will have absolutely nothing to do with Fett. It's going to be an unrelated character.

Knowing Disney, they'll have Boba Fett have a long talk with the Sarlacc, discuss their differences and become lifelong friends. (Maybe even join him on adventures, but they'll probably saddle him with a young kid Cause it's Disney) :ROFLMAO:

Naa, he is secretly a transgender woman and upon accepting that becomes a good gurl.

I read that the bounty hunter would be female. Not sure if it is true though.
Which is perfectly fine, assuming it's not a one dimensional "GIRL POWER!" character.
If it is your bag, I guess it is fine. Just doesn't do it for me.
Ok, but it's not as if there's ever been anything about mandalorian women being unable to be bounty hunters. I'd rather have a decently written female lead, than another lame Fett clone(figuratively, literally would also be lame).

Back