Disney Demonstrates Efficient Rendering Of Sugar And Sand

HardOCP News

[H] News
Most people don't put much thought into what it takes to realistically render stuff like sugar and sand but the folks at Disney sure do. Watch the video we've embedded below and tell me that's not pretty damn impressive.

And this will help them make a better Star Wars movie, how? Back to Tatooine but now all CGI sand?

That's not pretty damn impressive. :-|

Hah, no it's amazing what these teams do, and best of all it eventually trickles down into other fields and games. I thought I read something about the translucence stuff Pixar did on A Bugs Life eventually lead to shaders we saw in games years later.

You know someone is gonna copy that and we'll have a mass invasion sandworks in yore next game soon.

If I could keep those two straight when I make cookies, maybe they would taste better. The video isn't helping. #SandCookiesAreBad

gonna need 4 1080's dedicated to Phys-X when this makes it to gaming.

It never ceases to amaze me what developers can conjure at times. I wish I was smart enough to contribute to the world in this way.

Bring it into my games, that would be sweet and probably murder my GPU.

"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

You don't say, Ani. Well do we have a surprise for you in the next movie! Sand! And lots of it!

6ee2b2a7e7252b5a81109b36340e8df3.jpg

The sugar looked pretty good, but that blade that was stirring it looked too fake, way too reflective.

The sugar looked pretty good, but that blade that was stirring it looked too fake, way too reflective.

A stainless blade that is constantly used to stir something that is slightly abrasive like sugar will eventually become just as shiny as the one in the video. (but not on the trailing edge, that part is unrealistic)

The next Disney movie is going to have to do with a gingerbread cookie going on an epic quest across the desert.

Back