Disney CEO Apologizes for "Star Wars": "You Can Expect Some Slowdown"

Yeah, I'd have to say that all these recent Star Wars movies have had a scent of greed in it. Making movies just for the sake of making money. Whatever happened to making movies for the love of the craft?

On Disney's side, 'love of the craft' has been gone for decades.

Rogue One was a mixed experience. I liked some of it, but the story line felt overly simplified at times, like I was watching some sort of kids film. Overall I don't regret watching it.

I also enjoyed The Force Awakens. I thought it was a great. I don't know what people hate about The Last Jedi. It certainly didn't stand out as one of Star Wars best, but it also wasn't bad. It was watchable.

I haven't yet seen Solo, but I'm not sure how I am going to like it. Anyone other than Harrison Ford in that role is just wrong.

They took a train robbery western and set it in space. It was unoriginal and cliched and generally trash. Ron Howard polished the turd of a film as much as he could. But as we all know what happens when you polish a turd, you just get shitty.

I fully disagree. I think the prequels were far better films than Solo and TLJ. Yes the prequels were full of bad writing, bad acting and general WTF moments. However they weren't full of agenda pushing bad writing, characters who act in complete contradiction to everything they were for decades, bullshit powers, nonsensical deaths and systematic destruction of certain characters. I can sit through the prequels, I'll never sit through TLJ again.

Back on topic. He is doing exactly what a CEO does. Fans may want Kathleen to come out and apologize, but frankly that isn't her job. However I can honestly state that I will absolutely not give another film out of them a chance unless her and everyone she hired are fired.

Ok good, I would prefer "fans" like you leave the SW fandom entirely. Just promise you won't come back, thanks.

They had to push something out - they gave Lucas 4 BILLION. They have made their money back but still...its a money thing.

View attachment 106007

I don't see it this way at all. 4 Billion was cheap for star wars. Lucas was just trying to get out of the responsibility of dealing with something that had grown bigger than he was capable of dealing with while simultaneously handing off his legacy. He felt Disnep was his best option and took way less money than it was worth. For Disney it is absolutely a money thing but they were not at all concerned about the 4 billion.

The problems with movies today is they don't feel like movies anymore. They are all about special effects and less characterization like in old AMC movies that made them memorable.

I haven't watched it but it looks good

It's....Okay. If you watch it, do not go in expecting a Star Wars movie or a good Han Solo origin. If this had been just some random sci-fi western heist film, and not forced to be tied to Star Wars, it probably could have been good. Being a "cannon" history for Han really makes it worse. If you can ignore the greater context of the Star Wars universe and take it as something separate you will probably have a better time. Most of the acting is decent to good, the effects are pretty good, and the movie is wonderfully shot, but there will be zero surprises with the plot. It's a bad Star Wars movie, but a decent heist flick.

Ok good, I would prefer "fans" like you leave the SW fandom entirely. Just promise you won't come back, thanks.
Ah there is that toxic elitist nonsense that gives star wars fans a bad name. I was wondering you when one of you would show up.

Last edited:
These Star Wars threads are always fun. One thing always gets left out though.

The OT weren't that great of movies to begin with. It had groundbreaking special effects, lightsabers, and Darth Vader.

You may not have liked TLJ but I am still trying to figure out how the story didn't make sense.

I have to say, I actually liked Revenge of the Sith a lot. I watched it before I watched the TPM and CW, mainly because I did my best to avoid watching any of the prequels due to their perception. I did go back and watch the other two, and I can understand why they were lambasted, and I can understand why ROTS is still a bit nonsensical when tied up with the other two (along with some flaws within its own specific arc). However, I think ROTS is a good watch as a stand-alone flick.

That scene with Windu though...could've definitely gone without that.

You may not have liked TLJ but I am still trying to figure out how the story didn't make sense.

Well to start, Luke wasn't a pussy in any of the OT. Stood his ground. Even Mark Hamill admitted that in multiple interviews that this "wasn't his Luke". By the time RoTJ came out, he had mastered both sides of the force. Remember, he force choked the guards at Jabba's temple. (dark side) Luke never gave up on Vader, period. You think he is going to run away from his only nephew? Hide on a freakin island while his sister and the rebels he helped to establish as a force for good, all get wiped out?

Also, instead of developing a story behind Snoke, turd boy director took the easy way out. Kylo would have been better off just being an exact copy of Vader emotionally. Not Captain Emo and the conflicting thoughts.

No instead of standing behind people like me who wanted a stronger Luke, a better story, and a better bad guy, we have SJW's/internet trolls telling us to "get over it". God, if it wasn't for General Hux there wouldn't be anyone to like on the First Order. A lot of us wanted Hux to kill that Emo bastard when he had the chance.

Nope, everything is super female heroine movies now. Bullshit. Not my Star Wars. (Leia is the only real badass female, she hid from Vader in plain site!)

By the time RoTJ came out, he had mastered both sides of the force.

Well, I'd say, ROTJ was the Dark Side test for Luke. Which, is the whole point of the ending and how he was able to turn Vader. He had his "conflict" and if anything was going to break him at that point, it would have been that. Not a nephew feeling confused. That's just dumb and anti-enlightened Luke.

I say this to almost anyone defending TLJ that I'm kinda fine with how Luke was...but I didn't care for the reason for why he was. It wasn't good enough. It wasn't well written. Honestly, it would have been more intriguing to use the "enlightenment" of Luke against him. Break him by his own rule set. Basically, Ned Stark him. However, that would require a well written script. Not just a concept sheet written over the weekend.

There's a lot to admire about TLJ and what it was going for. It's execution however is awful. And, just felt like they didn't bother to do some basic rewrites.

All politics aside - I liked Rogue One, didn't mind Force Awakens, hated The Last Jedi and didn't mind Solo.

The reason for my TLJ hate was so many little things but boiled down to:
1) Too many characters without much to do and
2) Adding even more new characters for no reason (Asian space janitor suddenly joining the A Team, spare space hacker conveniently just hanging around)
3) Bad plot (free the space horsies, fleeing space ships until they ran out of gas - WTF? Snoke going down like a bitch without any explanation).
4) Luke not showing any force awesome he was supposed to have / should have had and Leia the flying space nun ...

How can we not mention the best line Rose had:

"We don't win by destroying what we hate but by saving what we love....."

Well to start, Luke wasn't a pussy in any of the OT. Stood his ground. Even Mark Hamill admitted that in multiple interviews that this "wasn't his Luke". By the time RoTJ came out, he had mastered both sides of the force. Remember, he force choked the guards at Jabba's temple. (dark side) Luke never gave up on Vader, period. You think he is going to run away from his only nephew? Hide on a freakin island while his sister and the rebels he helped to establish as a force for good, all get wiped out?

I do think that. Both Obi-Wan and Yoda did the same thing. They turned into hermits and seemingly hid from the force and the responsibilities of a Jedi.

I don't think frequency was the issue, just look at the MCU. We are up getting three MCU movies a year now, and critical and commercial reception for those has been staggering. It's not as if these movies are at the peak of plot or character development either, they are just well made action flicks with characters people enjoy seeing on the big screen. It seems like they can't make them fast enough, and it's pretty easy to see why they would want to apply the cinematic universe concept to Star Wars. Unlike many, I also don't necessarily blame the material either. I've enjoyed all of the new Star Wars titles. Some much more than others, but I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch. I haven't seen Solo yet, but only because I'm waiting for the 4K release, so that'll change very soon. I think the problem is the audience. Nobody seems to hate Star Wars more than fans of Star Wars. The expectations have been set so fucking high that these movies get eviscerated by their target audience over every little thing. The original trilogy was great, but it was absolutely not without flaws. The prequel trilogy is abysmal and gets every ounce of hate it deserves. The writing was cringe worthy, the acting was terrible, and Georgie boy put way to much faith into the capabilities of CGI at that time. The overall plot really wasn't terrible, but there was so much shit that made it very difficult to enjoy.

As for the current crop of movies, I really don't think they suffer from any of the failures of the prequel trilogy. The characters are (mostly) likable, they are well acted, and there is certainly no shortage of production value. They are better made than the prequels in every way, and yet somehow TLJ's user RT score is lower than TPM, with Solo only barely above it? The fact that there are hundred of thousands of star wars fans that rank TPM above TLJ says a lot. Every single part of these movies got dissected and people have decided that TLJ is the worst because of an awkward milk scene, or a stupid shirtless Ren scene, or a stupid plot point. Yeah, those things were awkward and out of place, but in the entire prequel trilogy, every god damn line was awkward and out of place... so how's that better? The plot of TLJ is weak by comparison to some of the other movies, but it's not abysmal. Furthermore, everyone's main bitch about TFA was that they played it too safe and basically just rebooted A New Hope. So then they take risks with TLJ or Solo and everyone bitches that they don't follow the Star Wars mold enough. Well, which is it then?

I truly believe Disney is fighting to make movies for an audience that just wants to bitch about all the things wrong in their "favorite" franchise. I'd rather relax, enjoy a high-budget space action flick, and not worry about how every tiny detail fits into the universe or the theme of the series. Life is a lot more fun when you don't give a damn.

Last edited:
Ironically I've thought the spin offs are better movies than the core trilogy. The Solo movie was fun and enjoyable, and Rogue One was one of my favorite Star Wars movies I've seen.

The Mary Fucking Poppins scene with Leia made Jar Jar scenes seem like Citizen Kane.

Travesty of a movie and it was actually lol bad.

TLJ was the worst movie I ever experienced. Describing why would take hours and this guy has already done it for me: (highly recommended if you want to see why people hate TLJ so much).

Some people like TLJ, and that's fine, because everyone has different tastes and expectations. Some people aren't too distracted by plot holes or people acting out of character, and think that good visuals make up for inconsistencies in story. The main problem with TLJ is that it focused primarily on the visuals and scenes, while pulling its script and story from bad fan fiction. It's too bad that half of Star Wars fan base really care about intelligently-told stories. TLJ isn't intelligent in any way. it's a "turn your brain" off movie, which is a first for Star Wars.

I just watch TLJ for the hyper-jump right through the 'star destroyer' scene.

Related

Attachments

• deTN3RP_d.jpg
    deTN3RP_d.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
So they can put out 2-4 Marvel movies a year and it's not a problem, but 1 Star Wars movie a year is too much? Seems like it's the quality of the content, not the frequency. I would gladly welcome 2-4 Star Wars movies a year if they were actually good.

The problem is that superhero movies are about superheroes. Marvel has worked up to having an overarching meta story. Even now, it doesn't (for the most part) weigh down the individual films with too much of that overarching story line. It's a movie with characters and they are more or less genre movies featuring super hero movies.

Star wars started with the overarching story line from day one. Jedi/sith, rebels/empire, good/evil. It's about the world and who is fighting that fight. The list of relevant characters introduced has been very short, and due to age they had to kill them. The star wars universe doesn't have much depth outside of that dichotomy. Rogue one was the right kind of thing. It was between meh and good, but it was very MCU-esque. It was the dirty dozen done for star wars and fleshed out a distinct and notable detail of the story.

To jump straight into MCU strategies, they all pretty much have to be prequels or parallel oddities until you work something out. The problem with solo is, content aside, once you hit that "I love you"... "I know" scene, you knew everything about the character you ever needed or wanted to know.

The problem with the main arc is you are by definition going to have to upset some people because you can't build something the scale, frequency, and duration of the MCU on a bunch of 60-70 year olds. They had to go, and that meant you have very little left but the universe. Then you start radically changing the rules on that, well....

The other problem is volume. MCU + SW as they were releasing them, assuming you want a minimum of a 30 day span between films, AND you don't want to turn february or back to school time into the new hot cinematic release windows, They were only a couple of scheduled films away from advertising against themselves and pushing their own films out of theaters. They were well past competing with themselves for visits to the theater by the movie going public by at least two films a year.

So they can put out 2-4 Marvel movies a year and it's not a problem, but 1 Star Wars movie a year is too much?

The problem is that superhero movies are about superheroes. Marvel has worked up to having an overarching meta story. Even now, it doesn't (for the most part) weigh down the individual films with too much of that overarching story line. It's a movie with characters and they are more or less genre movies featuring super hero movies.

Most of the Marvel movies are origin stories, it seems to be much easier to tell a good superhero/team origin story than a good middle chapter. Outside of The Winter Soldier and Thor: Ragnarok their secondary stories haven't been as well received; look at Iron Man 2/3, Thor: The Dark World, Civil War, and Age of Ultron. Even GotG 2 had a more subdued reception.

Last edited:
I don't think frequency was the issue, just look at the MCU. We are up getting three MCU movies a year now, and critical and commercial reception for those has been staggering. It's not as if these movies are at the peak of plot or character development either, they are just well made action flicks with characters people enjoy seeing on the big screen. It seems like they can't make them fast enough, and it's pretty easy to see why they would want to apply the cinematic universe concept to Star Wars. Unlike many, I also don't necessarily blame the material either. I've enjoyed all of the new Star Wars titles. Some much more than others, but I don't think there is a bad one in the bunch. I haven't seen Solo yet, but only because I'm waiting for the 4K release, so that'll change very soon. I think the problem is the audience. Nobody seems to hate Star Wars more than fans of Star Wars. The expectations have been set so fucking high that these movies get eviscerated by their target audience over every little thing. The original trilogy was great, but it was absolutely not without flaws. The prequel trilogy is abysmal and gets every ounce of hate it deserves. The writing was cringe worthy, the acting was terrible, and Georgie boy put way to much faith into the capabilities of CGI at that time. The overall plot really wasn't terrible, but there was so much shit that made it very difficult to enjoy.

As for the current crop of movies, I really don't think they suffer from any of the failures of the prequel trilogy. The characters are (mostly) likable, they are well acted, and there is certainly no shortage of production value. They are better made than the prequels in every way, and yet somehow TLJ's user RT score is lower than TPM, with Solo only barely above it? The fact that there are hundred of thousands of star wars fans that rank TPM above TLJ says a lot. Every single part of these movies got dissected and people have decided that TLJ is the worst because of an awkward milk scene, or a stupid shirtless Ren scene, or a stupid plot point. Yeah, those things were awkward and out of place, but in the entire prequel trilogy, every god damn line was awkward and out of place... so how's that better? The plot of TLJ is weak by comparison to some of the other movies, but it's not abysmal. Furthermore, everyone's main bitch about TFA was that they played it too safe and basically just rebooted A New Hope. So then they take risks with TLJ or Solo and everyone bitches that they don't follow the Star Wars mold enough. Well, which is it then?

I truly believe Disney is fighting to make movies for an audience that just wants to bitch about all the things wrong in their "favorite" franchise. I'd rather relax, enjoy a high-budget space action flick, and not worry about how every tiny detail fits into the universe or the theme of the series. Life is a lot more fun when you don't give a damn.

Telling a good Star Wars universe story doesn't require screwing up Star Wars physics and science (more than it already is with the prequels). That is my number one issue with JJ Abrams. Enterprise going from the moon to Earth in 30 seconds? That's almost 3% the speed of light. The fastest rocket we've ever made reached 0.03% the speed of light.

We are asking for a different, well written story. Not this shoddy, poorly written story with more emphasis on explosions than character development. Oh wait, that's Michael Bay... hard to keep them straight.

Telling a good Star Wars universe story doesn't require screwing up Star Wars physics and science (more than it already is with the prequels). That is my number one issue with JJ Abrams. Enterprise going from the moon to Earth in 30 seconds? That's almost 3% the speed of light. The fastest rocket we've ever made reached 0.03% the speed of light.

An antimatter rocket can achieve upwards of 10% the speed of light. We don't know how fast Enterprise was moving after coming out of warp/being disabled at the battle of Luna, how fast it was moving after it was struck multiple times by the USS Vengeance, or after the explosion of the antimatter warheads, or how the sci-fi inertial dampeners and shields would move the ship in such a situation. Seems like a pretty silly thing to get upset over. He did have Saturn's moon Titan positioned wrong in Star Trek 2009. I guess there's that.

Same thing with people complaining about stuff 'falling wrong' in space in TLJ (or in the opening battle of Episode III, for that matter). Gravity doesn't magically go away when you get above the atmosphere, astronauts on the ISS experience weightlessness because they're literally falling around the Earth at 5 miles per second. This is why rockets turn nearly horizontal as soon as they get above the troposphere during ascent, they need to put most of that energy into reaching orbital velocity. A ship hovering at the same altitude as the ISS would experience nearly the same gravity you feel on the surface.

There have been 3 good Star Wars movies and 7 movies that run the gambit from okay to terrible.

If ever there was a series that needed better quality control it’s this one.

An antimatter rocket can achieve upwards of 10% the speed of light. We don't know how fast Enterprise was moving after coming out of warp/being disabled at the battle of Luna, how fast it was moving after it was struck multiple times by the USS Vengeance, or after the explosion of the antimatter warheads, or how the sci-fi inertial dampeners and shields would move the ship in such a situation. Seems like a pretty silly thing to get upset over. He did have Saturn's moon Titan positioned wrong in Star Trek 2009. I guess there's that.

Same thing with people complaining about stuff 'falling wrong' in space in TLJ (or in the opening battle of Episode III, for that matter). Gravity doesn't magically go away when you get above the atmosphere, astronauts on the ISS experience weightlessness because they're literally falling around the Earth at 5 miles per second. This is why rockets turn nearly horizontal as soon as they get above the troposphere during ascent, they need to put most of that energy into reaching orbital velocity. A ship hovering at the same altitude as the ISS would experience nearly the same gravity you feel on the surface.

The whole traversing between ships sequence showed them literally stationary next to the moon. It only began falling towards earth after losing power. Realistically, it should've started falling towards the moon.

But hey, keep defending a director's lack of science knowledge and willingness to forsake plot and character development for CGI explosion sequences if you want.

The whole traversing between ships sequence showed them literally stationary next to the moon. It only began falling towards earth after losing power. Realistically, it should've started falling towards the moon.

The planet Mars looks 'literally stationary' in the sky at a given moment even though it can be moving up to ~60 km/sec relative to the Earth. The Moon looks nearly stationary in the sky even though it's orbiting the Earth at 1km/sec.

They come out of warp 233,000 km away from Earth, by the time the ship is disabled the Moon has moved quite a bit further away, so we know they were already hauling ass before they lost power. The issue that's harder to hand-wave away with sci-fi is how they slowed down the ship enough to avoid burning up in Earth's atmosphere.

But hey, keep defending a director's lack of science knowledge...

I don't believe for a second that you care that much about orbital mechanics in Star Trek, just like I don't believe anyone genuinely prefers the Phantom Menace to The Last Jedi.

I read the interview .... could care less about the Star Wars comment. Even more telling was the James Gunn comment ... yeah, that dude is NOT getting his job back as director of Guardians 3. There was so much finality in his comment, that door is most definitely closed.

just like I don't believe anyone genuinely prefers the Phantom Menace to The Last Jedi.

Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean it's not true. I've watched The Phantom Menace more than once. I expect I'll watch it again at some point. It's not a good Star Wars movie but it is watchable. I've only seen The Last Jedi once. I've tried to watch it again but I simply can't make myself sit through it. That automatically means that to me The Phantom Menace is much better than The Last Jedi.

Back