Disney Acquires 21st Century Fox for $52.4 Billion

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Let the past die: Disney has bought a huge chunk of 21st Century Fox in a deal that promises to reshape the media industry and help the entertainment giant fend off digital rivals such as Netflix. The company was quick to tout that the pact “provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof.

Combining with Disney are 21st Century Fox’s critically acclaimed film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox 2000, which together offer diverse and compelling storytelling businesses and are the homes of Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool—and its storied television creative units, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21.

So the question is are they going to keep the current filmic continuity in the X-Men universe or are they just going to trash it and start over again? As far as I know, the next X-Men movie is still in production and follows the Phoenix story line.

I really hope they don't neuter Deadpool.

BorgDisney.jpg

Regarding the x-men franchise, they should scrap everything and start over. Its no longer salvageable. They (Fox) were gonna butcher the Phoenix saga anyways just like they did to Apocalypse.

More content to be pulled from Netflix and Amazon to be Disney streaming exclusive. It makes perfect sense. Acquire a large library of content to make your service more attractive. Looks like Netflix has another thing to worry about along with gutting net neutrality. Plus, Disney has enough of an influence to work with the ISP's for exclusive traffic too.

Disney: Hey! Unholy Trinity. I got an idea.
Comcast, Verizon, AT&T: What?
Disney: We'll pay you big bucks if you allow us exclusive access to your fast lanes, do not offer them to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, and exclude our content from your data caps.
Comcast, Verizon, AT&T: Hmm..I like the sound of it. How much you willing to pay?
Disney: This much...
Comcast, Verizon, AT&T: <orgasm>...Deal!

Last edited:
this article answers the question I had this morning about the news side when I noticed the small blurb. Fox news and fox sports will not go along, wonder if they will keep the Fox name or get all new names.

Now you have Disney, Comcast, Viacom, CBS... Think that is it now

More content to be pulled from Netflix and Amazon to be Disney streaming exclusive. It makes perfect sense. Acquire a large library of content to make your service more attractive. Looks like Netflix has another thing to worry about along with gutting net neutrality. Plus, Disney has enough of an influence to work with the ISP's for exclusive traffic too.

Disney: Hey! Unholy Trinity. I got an idea.
Comcast, Verizon, AT&T: What?
Disney: We'll pay you big bucks if you allow us exclusive access to your fast lanes, do not offer them to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, and exclude our content from your data caps.
Comcast, Verizon, AT&T: Hmm..I like the sound of it. How much you willing to pay?
Disney: This much...
Comcast, Verizon, AT&T: <orgasm>...Deal!

Disney partly owned about 30% of Hulu through ABC, now it should have 30% more through Fox. http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/hulu-disney-fox-deal-future-tv-streaming-1202640711/

Question now is how the parents of Hulu fight it out now. Disney is strong enough to pull its own streaming services, but perhaps it may opt a two-prong strategy where Hulu takes the more adult-oriented stuff and Disney sticks with its children movies and etc. In my opinion, beyond Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, only Disney is strong enough to get away being on their own. (CBS Access my ass. Only useful thing is NFL)

Pretty sure means they own everything marvel again.

It's certainly a huge win into getting the Marvel family back together.

Sony still has Spider-man and has plans to milk that still, like the upcoming solo Venom movie.

Namor and Hulk, yes Hulk, are still owned by Universal. They allow Disney to use Hulk but they have final say. Rights to Namor are murky at best.

I really liked Hugh Jackman as Wolverine not sure anyone is going to be able to take over that role and be as good. I do like Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. The main problem with the X-men movies is the timelines were very confusing which will be fixed now I'm sure. I didn't care for the spider-man reboots until they tied it in with the Avengers.

That all the way ...specifically content. Holding tight goes along with Disney's long-time business strategy. As example -- some here may be old enough to remember how classic Disney cartoons could only be viewed by subscribing to a premium cable service, 'The Disney Channel'. While at the same time cartoons from other classic movie studios like MGM and Warner Bros. (think tom & jerry and looney tunes, respectively) were being broadcast in syndication, essentially flooding the market. Look which one is the 800-lb gorilla in the room now.

I really liked Hugh Jackman as Wolverine not sure anyone is going to be able to take over that role and be as good. I do like Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. The main problem with the X-men movies is the timelines were very confusing which will be fixed now I'm sure. I didn't care for the spider-man reboots until they tied it in with the Avengers.

Laura Kinney aka X-23 was already a great replacement for Wolverine.

How long before we extend copyright for Disney again?

I'm all for this new Disney, but extending copyright for them has got to stop.

I'm ok with this. also we are finally getting ALL of the star wars movies under one roof again. People don't understand that 21st CFOX owned the distribution to SW Ep3, lucas sold that to make bank on residuals. Now Disney has the whole kit and kabootle.

Mark my words Disney will take Hulu and break it into Hulu Family Hulu Comedy Hulu Sports and charge you $15/mo for every part of it.

Awe fuck... There goes the last good major news network. RIP Foxnews.
Take this as it may ... Fox News is not part of the deal. Fact that Disney already owns ABC, spinning "New Fox" off as a separate entity surely helped merger approval by alleviating news monopoly concerns. That along with not including Fox Sports, seems to validates this merger being all about entertainment content and greater distribution power.

Take this as it may ... Fox News and Sports is not part of the deal. Fact that Disney already owns ABC, spinning "New Fox" off as a separate entity surely helped merger approval by alleviating news monopoly concerns. And in my mind, validates this merger being all about entertainment content and greater distribution power.

They also own ESPN.

I think that this gets Marvel every character back but Spider-Man, right?

Nope. They don't get the Fantastic Four as part of this. Fox was only co-owner of the F4 rights. Production company Constantine Films also co-owned the movie rights. Basically Disney got distribution rights to F4 movies. If they want the rest of it back they'll have to either buy the rights from Constantine, buy Constantine, or wait for Constantine to sit on the rights for a decade without releasing a film.

Nope. They don't get the Fantastic Four as part of this. Fox was only co-owner of the F4 rights. Production company Constantine Films also co-owned the movie rights. Basically Disney got distribution rights to F4 movies. If they want the rest of it back they'll have to either buy the rights from Constantine, buy Constantine, or wait for Constantine to sit on the rights for a decade without releasing a film.
All they have to do is wait a few more years for the rights to revert back to Marvel. If a Fantastic Four movie isn't made every 7 years then the rights automatically revert back to Marvel. Issue solved.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on these days?
Isn't it obvious that all the studios are rapidly dying? Everything will be merged into streaming apps and the smaller studios with very little content under their belts will all go bankrupt or be bought by the Streaming media giants.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on these days?
Further and continuing degradation of an era initiated by the Sherman Antitrust Act. Rockefeller and Morgan are laughing in their graves.
Isn't it obvious that all the studios are rapidly dying? Everything will be merged into streaming apps and the smaller studios with very little content under their belts will all go bankrupt or be bought by the Streaming media giants.
That too.

Disney domination...so now they have X-Men and Deadpool they can throw into their MCU...plus all of the FOX TV shows such as X-Files etc...and they also get the right to all the Avatar movies...so Star Wars, Pixar, Avatar, Marvel movies all under 1 umbrella??...crazy how much power they now wield

So the possibility of an unadulterated original release of Star Wars Episode IV might happen now. It might even just be called "Star Wars".

On one hand, Disney is undeniably terrible and lacks any artistic integrity.

On the other hand, we might actually see a good Fantastic Four movie. Says a lot about Fox.

So the question is are they going to keep the current filmic continuity in the X-Men universe or are they just going to trash it and start over again? As far as I know, the next X-Men movie is still in production and follows the Phoenix story line.

I really hope they don't neuter Deadpool.

They have a plan to start other stuff after the second part of the last Avengers movie.

Let the past die: Disney has bought a huge chunk of 21st Century Fox in a deal that promises to reshape the media industry and help the entertainment giant fend off digital rivals such as Netflix. The company was quick to tout that the pact “provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof.

Combining with Disney are 21st Century Fox’s critically acclaimed film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox 2000, which together offer diverse and compelling storytelling businesses and are the homes of Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool—and its storied television creative units, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21.
They have not acquired it. They want to, but it will have regulatory hurdles to get past before the merger goes through. I don't think they should allow it. Disney is already huge and giving them Fox will mean far less content is made and far too much legacy content is concentrated in the house of mouse....and that's just on the movie side, but they'll also get all of Fox' cable assets.

Sell it to someone else.

Back