disk read error has occurred press ctr+alt+del to restart?

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
Got this reading when trying to boot the laptop: disk read error has occurred press ctr+alt+del to restart

After rebooting the same message happens. Can't get into safe mode either. Is the hard drive dead? Is the boot sector damaged? Is the data on the disk recoverable?

It's a Toshiba satellite c655. No disks came with this laptop so what now? Can I use any Windows XP disk to repair?

Thanx

If possible remove the drive from the laptop and install it (and test) in a desktop. If the system was made in the last 5 or so years the drive will likely connect to desktop SATA connectors.

you will need an OS disk that matches the installation of XP that you have ie home or pro.

Have you tried to recover by using the hidden restore partition?

If not, look here and read a little.

Have you tried to recover by using the hidden restore partition?

If not, look here and read a little.

Appreciate the link! The laptop is not mine but my friend gave it to me to fix so I'll try this:

On most models, you can also do a recovery from the recovery partition. With the computer off, press and hold the '0' (zero) button. Keep holding it, and press the power button. Continue holding that button until the recovery utility loads.

This method probably won't work if he has used a normal XP disk for a reinstall.

Many times the hidden partition is eliminated during the install.

Let us know how it's going.

PSSS....I applaud you for doing a little investigating at different places.

This problem may just be a bad disk.

Last edited:
This method probably won't work if he has used a normal XP disk for a reinstall.

Many times the hidden partition is eliminated during the install.

Let us know how it's going.

PSSS....I applaud you for doing a little investigating at different places.

This problem may just be a bad disk.

Thanx. Tried the method above. XP was pre installed and he said it came with no backup disks. Gonna try throwing one of my XP cd's in there see if I can repair it.

Tried to use the XP disk and got this after it tried to load and run the laptop. From all the info I've read on this error code I've come to the conclusion that the hard drive needs to be replaced.
IMG_2681.jpg

Last edited:
0x7B on XP used to be caused by incorrect disk drivers too. eg: Changing to AHCI in the BIOS when ATA was used during install, or enabling the Intel ICHxx onboard raid (even if not actually using raid), etc

So maybe try booting with different options selected in the BIOS first.. it can't do any harm.

0x7B on XP used to be caused by incorrect disk drivers too. eg: Changing to AHCI in the BIOS when ATA was used during install, or enabling the Intel ICHxx onboard raid (even if not actually using raid), etc

So maybe try booting with different options selected in the BIOS first.. it can't do any harm.

Actually it's Windows 7. And I tried rearranging the boot order. Nothing worked.

Tried to use the XP disk and got this after it tried to load and run the laptop. From all the info I've read on this error code I've come to the conclusion that the hard drive needs to be replaced.
I didn't read your post 'till just now but.....Yep, bad disk.

Just for shits and giggles I'd hook it up to my desktop to make sure or if there's any chance of data recovery.

Now is the time to go for an SSD to put a little 'pep' in that bargain machine. :)

Back