"Disk boot failure" - hard drive failing?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by rygy, Jul 17, 2006.

1. rygy

rygy Limp Gawd

Hi, I am trying to diagnose a problem with a computer I offered to "fix". The owner was unable to load Windows XP withotu having the XP install disk in the drive. The OS would load and run fine as long as the computer booted with the CD in the drive. I partitioned the drive, copied the personal files to the new partition and formatted and installed XP on the first partition. I encountered one problem while installing and it was along the lines of:

"IRQL_DRIVER_IS_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL"

Which would appear in a BSOD during the Windows install.

I swapped out the RAM and was able to complete the install. Now, on a fresh installation I am getting this error:

"DISK BOOT FAILURE. PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

when I don't have the XP install disk in the drive.

Does this mean that the hard drive is probably dying? When the XP disk is in the drive the computer runs fine. It's also crazy that both the memory and the hard drive would fail at the same time.

2. rygy

rygy Limp Gawd

Is it possible to fix the boot sectors on a drive? Are the boot sectors something that gets reformatted when I reformat the entire drive?

3. missionzero00

missionzero00 n00b

You can fix boot sectors using recovery console. look at fix mbr and fixboot.

4. rygy

rygy Limp Gawd

I disconnected the CD drive and connected the hard drive to IDE2 (the connector the CD drive was on) and set my boot order and Windows loaded fine. Is it probably a problem with the IDE controller then?

5. -(Xyphox)-

-(Xyphox)- [H]ardness Supreme

i would goto xp repair center do a chkdsk /r than a fixboot fixmbr

6. Wingy

Wingy [H]ard|Gawd

Does the CD drive work? If it doesn't work on IDE1, I would say you are correct.