Dishonored

Looks very promising. If nothing else, that was an excellent trailer.

Exactly my take. Very exciting so far as an idea of a game. Great art direction, some very talented people on board. I love when a new game just pops up like this and shows promise from the get go.

Need to see more actual gameplay footage but in the end I doubt I'm going to be disappointed.

Looks interesting even though im not a huge fan of the setting. Also holy half life copying :D. The cars and walkers looked like exact copies

Looks interesting even though im not a huge fan of the setting. Also holy half life copying :D. The cars and walkers looked like exact copies

Dunno if you saw this:

"They also hired Harvey Smith co-designer of Deus Ex and Viktor Antonov who designed City 17 from Half-Life 2."

I don't agree that the walkers looked like exact copies at all. Actually they are very different. But the long leg concept they do have in common.

October 9, all platforms.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dishonored/1224556p1.html

Jumping into the slot vacated yesterday by BioShock Infinite, Bethesda and Arkane Studios announced this morning that their own fantastical guns-and-powers playground, Dishonored, will open its doors on October 9.

Color me surprised. The Arkane devs have been pitching the vast creative killing options available to Dishonored players, going so far as to encourage people to try and "break" the game. Typically, when options like that are available to players, it means a lengthy development and QA process of finding and fixing unbalanced exploits. I had Dishonored pegged for a 2013 release at the earliest.

The similarities to BioShock are there, with the mix of powers and weapons, and given that just yesterday 2K announced Infinite would be delayed until February 2013, it looks like Bethesda is trying to capitalize on an unexpected opportunity.

What's that mean for gamers? Well, aside from the fact we'll get a very cool looking new franchise sooner than expected, it could also mean Dishonored won't be polished to a shine at launch. This is Bethesda we're talking about here, and there is a lengthy track record of buggy launches. The team at Arkane is an experienced one, though, so we'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

We'll have more on Dishonored for you at E3 where Bethesda is promising a hands-on demo.

My interest in E3 just went up considerably.

Dishonored is set in Dunwall, an industrial whaling city where steampunk- inspired technology and otherworldly forces coexist in the shadows. You are Corvo, the once-trusted bodyguard of the beloved Empress who has been murdered. Framed for the crime, you become an infamous assassin, known by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card. In a time of uncertainty, when the city is besieged by plague and ruled by a corrupt government armed with frightening technologies, dark forces bestow supernatural abilities upon you – but at what cost? The truth behind your betrayal is as murky as the waters surrounding the city, and the life you once had is gone forever.

Creatively eliminate your enemies with Dishonored’s flexible combat system as you combine supernatural abilities with weapons and gadgets at your disposal. Pursue your targets under the cover of darkness or boldly attack them head on with weapons drawn. The outcome of each mission plays out based on the choices you make.

Hope they aren't rushing this out. This is another game that has potential for my GOTY shortlist.

I always wondered, why there are so little game in steampunk settings. We got what? Arcanum?
This is perfect world, as you may put guns, fireballs, tanks and dragons in one world. It just asks for a proper shooter or RPG game.

I always wondered, why there are so little game in steampunk settings. We got what? Arcanum?
This is perfect world, as you may put guns, fireballs, tanks and dragons in one world. It just asks for a proper shooter or RPG game.

I think it has to do with the suspension of disbelief... the average audience can only accept one major 'shift' from the norm before it becomes too 'unreal' for many of them - the theory is that most people need enough normalcy to stay grounded to the story. There are exceptions, of course, like Star Wars (which relied HEAVILY on strong personalities to keep people grounded and attached to the story) but this is why we don't see many successful 'fantasy with guns' or 'scifi with magics' stories.

Steampunk has a lot of anachronism and mixes a lot of genres. That's probably why it hasn't gone very mainstream.

Bioshock series.
that Guns of icarus game,
the sky pirates UT thing,
Several point and click games,
Alice madness returns (pretty much)
Some of the Final Fantasys
Syberia
Galing Gears
Thief.
That Damnation game.
Aqua,
Skygunner,
Probably loads of others.

Wait here a list! (some are dubious!)

I think it has to do with the suspension of disbelief... the average audience can only accept one major 'shift' from the norm before it becomes too 'unreal' for many of them - the theory is that most people need enough normalcy to stay grounded to the story. There are exceptions, of course, like Star Wars (which relied HEAVILY on strong personalities to keep people grounded and attached to the story) but this is why we don't see many successful 'fantasy with guns' or 'scifi with magics' stories.

Steampunk has a lot of anachronism and mixes a lot of genres. That's probably why it hasn't gone very mainstream.

I don't really buy the theory that most people can only handle/accept one major shift from the norm. I don't see any such boundaries, people can and do accept all sorts of violations from reality. Heck, most of us yearn for it. It's just a question of how well the world/environments are executed. Getting the steam punk setting just right is not an easy task. It's probably the hardest setting to pull off. You need a highly skilled, experienced, and motivated staff. And even that's not guaranteed to be enough; you also need a sizable budget to back them up. It's not often that all those things come together...and that's true of any genre.

In any case, I do agree with MorgothPI. Steampunk is probably my favorite setting when done right. It's got everything I want: sci-fi mixed with medieval, guns mixed with the arcane: what else do you need?

Im loving the theme with this game. The whole Steampunk thing.
Ill definitely be keeping a close watch on this one.

Not really a fan of the "stylized" people in it. Makes it look kind of cartoon-y in a TF2 way :(. But the rest looks good so far, still need a bit more content to be sure.

Not really a fan of the "stylized" people in it. Makes it look kind of cartoon-y in a TF2 way :(. But the rest looks good so far, still need a bit more content to be sure.

Easily forgivable if this thing's bringing it like I think it might be. It'll take me about 60 seconds to get over that. ;)

pisican said in another thread that the Dark Messiah guys are on this game. That should lock down the preorders right there for everyone.

Last edited:
Looks stupid in my opinion. From the trailer I was thinking this game looks awesome, but the video they showed with the initial E3 game play trailer wasn't impressive.

Just looked like a bunch of sneak and kill with the same animations.

Hopefully more footage is shown.

New videos. Console footage but still looks really good IMO.

Stealth style about 15 minutes : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF1ofJpAL1M&feature=player_embedded

Violent approach around 8 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzlTI4er9fk&feature=player_embedded

A few observations:

1.) For especially the PC but hopefully for all versions, I hope it's like Deus Ex HR where you have menu options to turn off ANY and ALL hand holding options like glowing objects and the rest of it.

2.) The character seems almost overpowered to me especially with some of the supernatural abilities at least in these videos.

Overall, I see something I'm going to probably have a heck of a fun time with.

Last edited:
I hate the look of the blood. The game looks alright other than that though. Hopefully it isn't too easy.

I'm so hyped for this game. I consider Dark Messiah of Might and Magic to be one of my all time favorite games. Dishonored looks to be the closest thing to a sequel we're likely to see for Dark Messiah. The combat and general gameplay style looks very familiar, so it should feel very nice. I can't wait!

It looks alright, I'm not jumping for joy though. I'll do a play-through at least. I'm more looking forward to Hitman this year than anything else.

It looks alright, I'm not jumping for joy though. I'll do a play-through at least. I'm more looking forward to Hitman this year than anything else.

Oh, Hitman is going to be a near religious epiphany for me when it hits ;) but I really think this thing might end up on a lot of people's GOTY shortlists.

Oh, Hitman is going to be a near religious epiphany for me when it hits ;) but I really think this thing might end up on a lot of people's GOTY shortlists.

people hate on hitman, its amazing though. nothing like getting that silent assassin.

that shit is hard

Back