Dishonored Franchise Is “Resting for Now”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Dishonored fans who are awaiting a third entry should not get their hopes up: in an interview at QuakeCon, Arkane lead designer Ricardo Bare mentioned to VG24/7 that the series is “resting for now.” While the story may have come to a natural conclusion in Death of the Outsider, some believe the franchise was put on hold due to poor sales.

“I can’t say definitively what might happen down the road, anything could happen, but [Dishonored] is resting for now,” Bare tells me. “As far as pure immersive sims go, I don’t know if we’re going to continue to make like carbon copy – this qualifies as an immersive sim and it’s the only thing we’re ever going to make.

Makes sense to not beat the game into the ground Battle of Duty style with too many close releases. It hasn’t even yet been two years since the second game released and there was 4 years between the first and second and a year from Death of the Outsider, an expansion.

Give it another year and a half and we might see an announcement of some sort. Hell, Arkane also just finished up on Prey Mooncrash as well. They probably don’t have much to really say about anything they’re working on I’d bet.

If the story line has reached it's natural conclusion then let it lie. I've not played it, but have always been of the mindset that if nothing further can be added to a story or "universe" that doesn't end up being forced then let it go. There's a ton of IP that this should've been applied to (*cough*Star Wars*cough*) but perhaps in this case the natural close of the story loop combined with a downward slope of sales will allow this one to bow out gracefully and it can be remembered as a great set of games instead of a bone-dry franchise.

they need a strong variety in environment. Dishonored 2 kinda looks like Dishonored 1. Like between Bioshock 1 and 2, there was a dip in sales. Of course , this dip is magnified in Dishonored's case since it was not as unique as Bioshock. They can rescue this by making a Bioshock 3 equivalent. Too bad..

Bioshock 2 you played a completely different type of character, making it a very different game. The fiction was good but the game, in my opinion, wasn't nearly as good as the first. Dishonored 1 is a great game marred by it's unique art style (IMHO) and while I own the second game, I've yet to install it. I am told however that using the blink ability makes the game well suited for VR and I might give it a shot (the first game which I'm familiar with) with VORPX.

Back