DISH Pays Up for Telemarketing

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Are you on the Do Not Call Registry? Did DISH call you anyway? You might be getting some cash if they did it to you sometime between 2010 and 2011. You can put your number in on this page to check. If you are on the list for cash, we want our cut. You can read up on the whole ordeal here.

But it’s no scam. The jury awarded $400 for each of the 51,000 calls made in violation of the Do Not Call Registry. Not only that, a judge later determined Dish “willfully and knowingly violated” the law and tripled the damages to $1,200 per call.

So deserved. Way back when, I had Dish Network for my TV for almost 3 years, and then came the spam. I started getting 10-20 spam messages per day advertising Dish, so I cut my subscription, and I told them outright that I was ending my business with them because they were using these spammers for their advertising. It didn't end for another year. I guess they really didn't get the message about overly aggressive marketing.

So deserved. Way back when, I had Dish Network for my TV for almost 3 years, and then came the spam. I started getting 10-20 spam messages per day advertising Dish, so I cut my subscription, and I told them outright that I was ending my business with them because they were using these spammers for their advertising. It didn't end for another year. I guess they really didn't get the message about overly aggressive marketing.
I had dish for a while like 9 years ago. They never span me even after I left. I don't even get a flyer in my mail box to this day.

So about 6 years ago when I moved, I got the phone bundle with FIOS internet. I changed my primary phone contact to that number on every business account I have. To this day, I have never plugged that phone in. Solved a lot of spam problems.

Man I get so many spam calls that knowingly violate this stuff... but not Dish apparently.

sadface

We get untraceable automated robo-calls on my fiance's Vonage number in the house. We barely use it though. Ought to just cancel it, but we keep it around because of my stepson.

On my cellphone I simply never answer any numbers I don't recognize. No exception.

If the number does not show up as a number in my phonebook, I send it straight to voicemail, and then maybe if they leave a voicemail I'll remember to respond within 2-6 weeks.

Usually it's headhunters looking to sell me on some "hot new company" or some bs like that. (I get several calls a week from guys like this, most recently for some job with some cosmetics company in Vietnam, no thanks)

Other than that, I also get cold called from financial services companies and various cruise / timeshare companies, many of which are probably fraudulent. I try to report these, but I never get their full company name, and they seem to be using spoofed numbers.

I've been pretty impressed with Google's attempt to counter these calls lately though.

spam.jpg

This is on my first gen Pixel. I'm not sure if all modern Android phones do this...

I also never answer any calls from numbers I don't know. The one time I did by accident opened me to a world of pain. My phone would ring at least 2 times a hour from various scams. I had to turn off my phone at night cause they would call at 1 am. They stop eventually. I do still get random calls from numbers starting with the same area code plus first 3 digits. Those also died off after never answering.

I get spam calls from credit companies wanting me to consolidate cards and pay off my debts.....I only have one CC that has money on it and its under $500....consolidate my foot b****es.

WTF!? You're telling me they only violated the DNC list 18000 times? I call schenanigans on that.

Since I switched the home phone to ooma all I get for spam calls is windows tech support calling about my computer that is infecting my neighborhood and causing a slowdown of the entire internet. I would love it if phone companies could do something about those.

^^ My Moto X4 on Android 8.1.0 does that, quite nice, comes up with the same red screen so I know it's a spam call. Very handy.
Yeah. It threw me the first time it happened, but it's great.

Off-topic: Props on the phone choice. I love mine. Best $300 I've ever spent on a phone...especially since I spent more for the used Nexus 6 that preceded it. It also removed the bitterness caused when Google decided to abandon the mid range.

WTFFFFFF, I got a 1-800 number call from DISH the other day, STILL GETTING CALLS!!!

None of my numbers. But I get at least two pieces of junk mail per month from them...

My luck with lotteries continues. :(

Now they need to sue the company(s) that keep calling wanting to do something with my credit card accounts. Get more of those on the cell then the voip landline. Years of letting an old style answering machine screen the LL calls may be paying off. Sadly, the do not call list doesn't apply to political calls. And its election season again. :mad:

Since I switched the home phone to ooma all I get for spam calls is windows tech support calling about my computer that is infecting my neighborhood and causing a slowdown of the entire internet. I would love it if phone companies could do something about those.

Last time I got one of those I picked up and replied in their accent "Windows, why yes we have windows. They're very dirty. It's hot and windy could you send someone to clean them?", as they tried to interrupt me I added "They're very high up and we can't reach them so please bring a ladder" and then hung up. It's been almost 2 years since another message was left on the landline regarding such. Meanwhile just about everyone else still calls.

I want this to happen at work to all these asshole companies who want to improve our Google listings. Get at least 1-2 calls every other day.

why is it the phones companies responsibility to clean up your computer that is infecting the neighborhood??

;>)

LOL to all the suckas who entered their number on that page, you just signed up for hotwired mega spam.

We try, it is just damn near impossible to stop them. As soon as you come up with one method to stop them they come up with something new. Started to watch for somebody calling multiple numbers at once, so they started to change numbers. Then they started to randomly pick other numbers close to your number to spoof. I have spent weeks trying to come up with ways to stop these as I am sure many other in the industry have also. Best I can do is be reactive instead of proactive.

I remember the days when the phone would ring and you wouldn't be afraid. People had their numbers openly advertised in the phone book to make it easy for others to reach them. Now it's the opposite, thanks spammers.

Don't need to enter my number as I know I wasn't included. I haven't gotten a single spam telemarketing type call since 2002.

They already did. I got two check from them over spam calls. I never even signed up for the class action lawsuits. After my 6 month trial I got with my car they kept calling me about it. Think it was a check for $80 and a check for $8.

https://www.siriusxmtcpasettlement.com/en

Ah, they were hounding me in September 2016 after the year was up from a new car. So looks like another suit needs to happen. Also, when I say hound I mean sometimes they called 5 times a day trying to get me to renew. Once I contacted the fcc the calls stopped.

Ah, they were hounding me in September 2016 after the year was up from a new car. So looks like another suit needs to happen. Also, when I say hound I mean sometimes they called 5 times a day trying to get me to renew. Once I contacted the fcc the calls stopped.
Yeah I got my car in 2014. They stopped calling after I told them to stop and take me off their list. Surprising they did. Aerotek needs to be sued tho. I applied with them almost 10 years ago and they never did anything for me. Then suddenly 2 years ago they keep calling me about job opportunities. They kept calling and emailing even after I told them to stop. So infuriating that they keep records for so long and then start harrasing you years later.

Back