Discussion about the future of the [H] DC team

Damn all that reading strained my eyes, now they hurt and it is your fault JTG. And I still want to nominate team Grandma as [H]ardDCer of the month :D

But yeah, it often takes just one post. We generally have a short attention span. :D

Edit: Holy crap, 10 years? How did that happen?

Last edited:
This group is awesome and I've missed it, and JTG is right, some sibling rivalry is all we need, and I'll cast my vote for Team Grandma too!!!

Grandma is definitely burning up the charts and is no doubt a huge help and very appreciated but should [H]ard|DCer be given to a team within a team? I thought it was to highlight an individual contribution above and beyond the call, not just sheer points.

Grandma is definitely burning up the charts and is no doubt a huge help and very appreciated but should [H]ard|DCer be given to a team within a team? I thought it was to highlight an individual contribution above and beyond the call, not just sheer points.

This

Well considering we haven't had a HDCer of the month since the start of this thread, I doubt any individual would feel too left out if a group got it one month. And considering the members of said "team" are contributing anonymously, is there any way their contribution can be any more "not about the points" than it is? I'm just happy to see so many dormant contributors come back to both fah and boinc, even if only temporarily. To see such a resurgence in fah while doing very well in the WCG race (even with a late start) has really made the past month feel a bit more like "the good ole days". And thank you JTG for bringing the trash talk back too :p

Well considering we haven't had a HDCer of the month since the start of this thread, I doubt any individual would feel too left out if a group got it one month. And considering the members of said "team" are contributing anonymously, is there any way their contribution can be any more "not about the points" than it is? I'm just happy to see so many dormant contributors come back to both fah and boinc, even if only temporarily. To see such a resurgence in fah while doing very well in the WCG race (even with a late start) has really made the past month feel a bit more like "the good ole days". And thank you JTG for bringing the trash talk back too :p

Eh, I don't think anyone is feeling left out anyways unless things pick back up where they used to be here in the Forum.. "Grandma" folding is a tribute and the fact that they fold anonymously is magnanimous in itself so I don't think they'd mind not being nominated. I just don't think a precedent should be set. If it's decided to make it a one time thing, kinda like FDR getting a 3rd Presidency then let's see the votes and if so, cap it there.

meh, I don't care either way (and obviously the group doesn't qualify as there is no user account here, etc.), but it is the first time anything has been nominated in 4 months :p

I posted a nomination thread for December of 2015 DC'er of the Month.

I plan to start a vote for DC'er of the Year in January after we are done with the December monthly vote.

So I just decided to start DC'ing again after a many year hiatus. Guess I missed some political stuff wrt f@h. I gather from the little I have read that f@h is now more gpu based than cpu. Considering I have a bunch of idle cpu time I decided to focus on WCG and have joined the HardOCP team. Hopefully I set everything up right and will see some results soon. I have one computer with a nice video card and set that up for f@h but I think its production will be limited.

Welcome Shumph. Anything at all is appreciated. Do what you can when you can. The [H]ordes output has more than tripled at times since the summer. Limited is better than nothing.

How exactly is the team concept handled here? Sorry but I can be considered new to this section and have no idea who exactly leads the team(s)
I ask because I started with WCG but see a team challenge that [H]ard|OCP is in at rosetta@home. I switched some cpu's to that project to help but I am not sure anyone here cares about that challenge. I see no thread about it.

If not I would rather switch back to WCG but for the record I am willing to help most team causes. Although I prefer they be medical related projects and cpu driven.

Shumph, thanks for the inquiry. Our team only has 1 official [H] sponsored (aka Kyle says so) project. That project is Folding At Home. All other projects are only supported because the members choose to do so on their own. We do have an "unofficial" team at most projects. As far as a leader, we don't have any "official" leaders either. Just volunteers that step up and do the dirty work for everyone else. So, you will see some of those roles change over the years naturally.

As far as challenges go. I typically sign us up for several as not everyone cares for every project. This way people can jump on the projects they want to support and be involved in the challenges when they occur. For some of the bigger challenges I or anyone else really will post a thread about it. Most of the challenges hosted through BOINCStats are initiated by the teams and can be created at any time just like the challenges hosted at WCG. Some teams will create a challenge and host it on their own website like SETI.Germany does. Then you will have a few projects that allow individuals to join challenges such as PrimeGrid and POGS. Last, we have a few ongoing challenges that go either the entire year or never ends that some of us partake in that cover multiple projects. So..... options galore. The problem is that many on our team get overwhelmed by all the choices and very few want to spend time reading up on every project. After all... we are talking over 100 projects most days.

So, that brings us to the guidance. I have found that even when people say "we see you as our leader", they typically still just do their own thing. If the challenge is large or is near and dear, the team is usually pretty good about jumping on board and helping out. Rosetta is certainly a nice project and worthy of some hardware. However, WCG tends to be a very close alternative for most of our team when not Folding and then GPUGrid tends to be the GPU alternative as well. I encourage you to not only join in on the challenges but also do your best to rally more people to go with you. The more chatter there is, the more interest it stimulates. Feel free to create any thread you would like. :)

Best way to bring back more people is with beer and tamales... How all of you forgot that ?

Best way to bring back more people is with beer and tamales... How all of you forgot that ?

2012-03-23_19-50-44_61-1-1.jpg

I ate 'em

The beer and tamales just aren't the same if Digital Exhaust isn't handing them out.

Speaking for the Unofficial Treasurer (which we don't have), we did not win the recent lottery, and our budget will have issues with upscale Tamales. We would have trouble affording this:

699066464_5fc10d244f_o.jpg

So, I apologize in advance if this has been answered somewhere else (I've looked), but I just decided to get back into the F@H project and support team 33. I saw that we were down a bit to EVGA and not even close to catching up. My questions are these:

- What happened? Where did everyone go?
- I've read some posts that suggest something happened with F@H, can someone elaborate?
- What is the major hangup right now to getting back on our feet and on track?
- What can I do to help? Right now I'm going to be producing approximately 500,000 points a day, which I know isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I figure I'd do my part.

So, I apologize in advance if this has been answered somewhere else (I've looked), but I just decided to get back into the F@H project and support team 33. I saw that we were down a bit to EVGA and not even close to catching up. My questions are these:

- I've read some posts that suggest something happened with F@H, can someone elaborate?
- What can I do to help? Right now I'm going to be producing approximately 500,000 points a day, which I know isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I figure I'd do my part.

500 kppd will get you in the top 20 of daily producers. So it is more than you think it is.

F@H canned the bigadv point system. So everyone who was rocking 2p and 4p CPU setups making big points was screwed. Most of those guys left.
F@H is now heavily GPU biased. Some GPUs are doing more points than 48c+ rigs were back in the bigadv days.
We need a lot of GPUs folding. It's why EVGA is so far ahead of us now since they've been a heavy GPU team since the beginning.
500k PPD is a good chunk. You'll almost be in the top 10.

Doubt it's gonna happen with the current point trend.

That's really too bad. Is that why the hardfolding site was taken down? I tried to go there but it takes me to what looks like a mobile version of Hardocp.com

no, hardfolding stopped working right...... kingN was certain it was working just fine, it kinda died on the vine, got taken down much later. There has been further drama with kingN. Maybe Gilthanas could fill in more.

I wouldn't really say further drama per se. He really hasn't been in communication. The trouble we are still having with him is that he continues to squat on the [H]ard|OCP team name at WCG and we (nobody has come forward anyways) have no way of contacting him. Why he continues to hold onto it but have nothing else to do with the team, I do not know why.

And if anyone is interested in bringing hardfolding.com back to life, please contact Kyle.

Thanks for the info. Surely those of us on [H] have enough GPU horse power to get back in the game.

There is more than enough horsepower around, its just the way the donors were treated at the end of Bigadv meant they walked away and won't be returning.:(:(

I am all for anyone talking over HardFolding.com. I have lots of people talk about it, but nothing every happens. The hardware and bandwidth are there, just need some admins to run it.

There is more than enough horsepower around, its just the way the donors were treated at the end of Bigadv meant they walked away and won't be returning.:(:(

Maybe, maybe not. What does it take to make a dent these days.
What would I need to be in the top 5 again?

What about the back end? Is it still there? Exactly what is expected from the admins to keep it maintained?

I have no idea what is there, what was there, or what will be there. I was NEVER a part of that other than supplying hardware and bandwidth.

We need more GPUs and more Tamales!

Maybe not from these guys. :D

Nonsense. The best Mexican always comes from the dirty little hole in the wall places.

And on a completely different topic, I noticed that death metal band Exmortis has submitted a strong candidate for the official [H] Theme Song. :D

Maybe, maybe not. What does it take to make a dent these days.
What would I need to be in the top 5 again?

as already said 2 980ti's will get you top 5, 3 will put you at no. 2 running under Linux,

power consumption for the PPD is pretty damn good, I'm seeing about 300w from the wall for a single 980ti system and mine isn't that efficient, if you went ultra low wattage xeon you could probably get a single card system going for about 260w

Back