Discover Card - 5% reward on online purchases - Oct to Dec.

I think they've done this every year for as long as I can remember during this period.

love my discover card -- their perks, and 6 months out of the year getting 5% back on gas, 5% on amazon during the holidays, and 5% on home improvement stores... can't beat that for my shopping habits.

I actually waited specifically because they have paypal as one of their 5% categories, bought me 500 dollars worth of tires and a 300 truck bed cover, 5% off all that stuff for doing nothing :)

Between capital one's 1.5% cashback unlimited, and discover, I maximize during the year and the perk that's active. An extra 200 to 400 per year for doing thing? yes please.

Best thing anyone can know about any credit card? Pay it off EVERY month, no matter how much you don't want to, or it hurts. I treat it just like a debit card to be honest, and it makes me money in the long run.

I had a discover card many years ago.

Lets just say the purchase protection against fraud was slim.

I ordered a bunch of stuff online from a merchant I hadn't ordered from before. a $90 item was missing from the box. I called the merchant & they said it was in the box & I was lying.

I talked to Discover. After two weeks they came back & sent me the tracking # (which was the box I received). I told them, AGAIN, that I had the box. One item was missing from the box they gave me the tracking number for. They told me they couldn't help me any more than that (!!!).

I ordered a bunch of stuff online from a merchant I hadn't ordered from before. a $90 item was missing from the box. I called the merchant & they said it was in the box & I was lying.

I talked to Discover. After two weeks they came back & sent me the tracking # (which was the box I received). I told them, AGAIN, that I had the box. One item was missing from the box they gave me the tracking number for. They told me they couldn't help me any more than that (!!!).

that's odd -- i don't know if partial chargebacks are allowed... but for 90 dollras I'd have boxed everything up and returned it, and then done a full chargeback.

Not sure if I'd call this a Hot deal, as other cards do have these rotating categories (at this percentage). However, if you have a Discover card or are looking for a card anyways, it's not a bad card to have. I got mine primarily for the free monthly FICO score. Really only use mine for gas (during the bonus periods) and on Amazon.

I've never had Discover not charge a merchant back if I asked, and unlike every other credit card I've had, they do it over the phone without the need to fill out paperwork. Other cards have some benefits that are better, so it can be worth using them sometimes, but Discover is pretty good, so long as you pay your bill off each month (pretty much the only way too use any credit card).

do the categories run differently from the chase freedom categories? I'm just wondering if its redundant to have both. I also have sallie mae card which gives me 5% on gas and grocieres (including target/walmart) for up to 250 dollars a month though. But gives me amazon (bookstore) up to 750 dollars a month.

do the categories run differently from the chase freedom categories? I'm just wondering if its redundant to have both. I also have sallie mae card which gives me 5% on gas and grocieres (including target/walmart) for up to 250 dollars a month though. But gives me amazon (bookstore) up to 750 dollars a month.

Overall I'd say Discover offers more benefits and way to earn "big" cashback vs chase freedom (I have that one too)

Discover has their shopdiscover.com store, it's basically like fatwallet, but the cashback is much much faster. (tons of online retailers that have almost a permanent 5% cashback system in place) Best Buy is one of them for example.

The rotating categories a lot of these cards have, usually seem to line up... meaning if one is offering 5% off gas, it's always during summer for all cards. Love the free FICO score each month with discover. To be honest -- Chase freedom, I have one, and I have pretty much stopped using it and always go for Capital One (1.5% on everything, unlimited amount) or Discover for the 5% on certain things during the year (gas/amazon/home depot)

i have the Discover IT card, hands down the best credit card i have ever had. rotating categories of 5% with 1% back on everything else is amazing. they constantly increase my limit and their dashboard is awesome. i love seeing the analytics of spending.

and, like someone else said, just get the capital one 1.5% back on everything for everything else (and where discover isn't accepted) and you are golden.

the cashback we rack up is our christmas gift budget at the end of the year. i have had zero problems with both cards but the capital one dashboard blows compared to the discover interface.

JUST ZERO THE CARD EVERY MONTH and these two items are a no brainer.

Overall I'd say Discover offers more benefits and way to earn "big" cashback vs chase freedom (I have that one too)

Discover has their shopdiscover.com store, it's basically like fatwallet, but the cashback is much much faster. (tons of online retailers that have almost a permanent 5% cashback system in place) Best Buy is one of them for example.

The rotating categories a lot of these cards have, usually seem to line up... meaning if one is offering 5% off gas, it's always during summer for all cards. Love the free FICO score each month with discover. To be honest -- Chase freedom, I have one, and I have pretty much stopped using it and always go for Capital One (1.5% on everything, unlimited amount) or Discover for the 5% on certain things during the year (gas/amazon/home depot)

May or not be a clear no-brainer to people who read this but:

Definitely go through the shopdiscover portal before your purchases this quarter. What's better than 5%? 5%+5%!

May or not be a clear no-brainer to people who read this but:

Definitely go through the shopdiscover portal before your purchases this quarter. What's better than 5%? 5%+5%!

if only they had newegg as a "member" of this little club... I'd love stacking 5% on top of 5% especially with the laptop i want to order soon, sadly no dice.

just use amazon payments to send a $1000 payment to your spouse or even yourself. Then send a payment the other way for $500. Easy $75

just use amazon payments to send a $1000 payment to your spouse or even yourself. Then send a payment the other way for $500. Easy $75

It's not recommended to send from A to B and then from B to A. Good way to get your account shut down. Anyway, you only have 2 or 3 days left to do this because AP is no longer available.

It's not recommended to send from A to B and then from B to A. Good way to get your account shut down. Anyway, you only have 2 or 3 days left to do this because AP is no longer available.

yes i know, i didnt go into details for the sake of simplicity and for the fact that I doubt Amazon is looking to shutdown accounts when they are killing the whole system on the 13th

Back