Discord Officially Launches a Digital Storefront for Online Video Game Sales

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Discord has been growing at a tremendous rate as over 150 million gamers have signed up for the service. Compare this to Steam which boasts a user base of 125 million and suddenly you realize just how much clout and power Discord has with the gamer audience. Finally Discord has decided to monetize that audience and on Thursday they launched a digital storefront for online video game sales. The store has only been rolled out to 50,000 Canadians as a beta, but it is destined to come to other parts of the world as it is tweaked according to user feedback. The store will feature 90 day exclusives, free games, and full retail games.

Even with the launch of the store, Discord seems very aware of the importance of its chat service and becoming a one-stop-shop for gaming. Thursday's addition of a universal library tab on the Discord home screen is a big sign of that. If users elect to, Discord can scan their computer for games and then make it possible to launch any of them through Discord, even if they require another launch. To do that, Discord will simply boot the other launcher and game. The company takes 30 percent of sales from games that end up in the store, matching what Valve's massive online game store Steam takes from developers.

They should take less if they want to compete with Valve. Make it 20% and devs/publishers have a significant incentive to use Discord.

Makes sense. Valve's recent chat changes were directly in competition with Discord's features so chances are they both knew what the other was doing.

This sort of thing takes a LONG time to plan and setup. My thoughts are that Valve caught wind of this and moved to introduce chat as a reaction to this eventuality.

Reactions: Maxx
like this
I need to invent a sell your soul service like Discord, Facebook, Twitter, etc, people seem to flock to them like flies to shit. I would be rich.

I need to invent a sell your soul service like Discord, Facebook, Twitter, etc, people seem to flock to them like flies to shit. I would be rich.
That's the thing: you've gotta create something people are willing to sell their soul for...

VALVe has a hell of a lot of built up positive trust when it comes to buying games, refunds, and stuff like that.

For me, I'll trust VALVe to do more for Linux than Discord. Thus far, the only Linux work that I'm aware of Discord doing is releasing a client on Linux for their app. I'm not aware of them helping bring games to Linux, nor help with driver fixes, like VALVe has done.

This is certainly something very interesting. Chances are, the consumer will end up winning in the end here, and I can't wait to see who comes out on top!

For me, Linux is the priority though.

Also, just watched the video, and that was a pretty lame video. It's like they're trying too hard to be cool.

Well, damn, never heard of discord up to a few weeks ago when I signed up to follow the Sim Settlements forum. Don't really use it for chat. Although sometimes I think GenMay is a chat room.

To this day I have never understood why discord is so popular. I utterly hate it when everyone I'm gaming with want to use it. It is one of if not the worst voice client. Even ventrilo still sounds better audio wise.

Another platform that bans and censors you if you don't agree with their views? Nah, I'm good. I'll stick with Steam.

To this day I have never understood why discord is so popular. I utterly hate it when everyone I'm gaming with want to use it. It is one of if not the worst voice client. Even ventrilo still sounds better audio wise.

If you are an audio snob..then sure hate on discord.

But it is:

a) FREE
b) IT WORKS
c) does not require me to host multiple servers for chat, voice, images, videos
c) Requires little to no overhead/admin for small groups
e) has massive capabilities for backend support allowing complex user tools to be created to support large groups.

But..if you like having lots of sites and tools to maintain for measurably but marginally better results...then good on yah. But right now users get voice + IRC + forums + imgur + youtube + bots for free in one tool that works on nearly every platform.

Back