Disconnecting File-Sharers is Futile

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tom Watson, a Labor Party politician in the United Kingdom, has filed a motion that basically says disconnecting file sharers is “futile.” Here is the complete text of the motion:

That this House notes with concern the Government's proposals on file sharing which would allow rights holders to request internet service providers to disconnect for a period of time, or throttle, the internet connection of people who may be accused of copyright infringement via peer to peer networks; believes that disconnecting alleged offenders will be futile given that it is relatively easy for determined file-sharers to mask their identity or their activity to avoid detection; acknowledges that illicit file-sharing only costs rights-holders money when people download infringing content in preference to buying it; further notes that identifying offenders using the Internet Protocol address of a specific machine may punish those who share a web connection; and calls on the Government to ensure that any citizen accused of illicit file-sharing is given the right to legal redress in a court of law before sanctions are imposed.

ya, makes sense,

why should i have my internet, which i have paid in full for, throttled cause i download something :)

2 different things!

bush_borg.jpeg
:D

Friggin awesome, a tech literate politician? Those exist in other countries? Because they don't seem to exist here (US)

Makes sense...

I actually know someone who got a warning letter from her ISP for downloading pirated software. There's no way she'd even know about the program she downloaded, let alone how to go about downloading it. Turns out her network was open... I fixed it and added Tomato firmware to her setup.

That's not quite the same, and it is her fault, but still... I can't help but feel sympathetic, esp. when she left it open for the neighbor kids and their friends (who were innocent as far as I can tell).

Common sense! Rubbish! :p This will undoubtedly be squashed (or at least a hard hitting attempt) by the UK equivilent of the MPAA or RIAA! I wish them luck though as this shit has got way out of hand.

Wow this is one of the smartest things I've seen coming from a politician. If only we get some common sense like that here in the states.

A politician who gets it? Somebody cue the Twilight Zone music.

Seriously, it's about time at least one politician paid attention to, and stood up for, the common person. Though the pessimist in me says there's a hidden, less altruistic motive somewhere.

Now if we can just get someone, or better yet, multiple someones, like that here in the States.

He gets it for a very long time now. If you know the 'Digital Britain" Report, he was in the initial panel tasked to evaluate the "state of the internet in Britain." But because he already knows the internet so to speak and thus he eventually clashes with the major recording labels and movie studios, he was duly replaced.

That's not quite the same, and it is her fault, but still... I can't help but feel sympathetic, esp. when she left it open for the neighbor kids and their friends (who were innocent as far as I can tell).
See I don't buy the whole "it's her fault" bit, regardless of what some politicians want to make as law. If someone comes into my house, steals my gun because it was in the top drawer of my dresser and not in a locked safe, goes and commits a crime with that gun, it doesn't make me at fault for the crime that is committed.

An ISP should be able to get rid of their customers as they see fit sure, but the government telling them who to nab? Puleeze... at the root of it the ISPs only care about pirates if they are using an extensive amount of bandwidth that is harming their overall service, they don't care what you download because you are a PAYING CUSTOMER. Gun store owners don't go asking everyone what they're going to do with guns, as long as they have the dough.

Well after 2 DMCA emails, i stopped DLing off anywhere but rapidshare. But yeah its not like i go out and buy this shit now.

Haha, you actually fell for the bluff emails?

6 or 7 years ago my internet was cut off without warning. I thought it was an outage. So I waited a day before calling, turns out they shut me off for downloading a movie. I played dumb and they reconnected me. A few days later I got a snail mail that had all the information correct even down to the file size of the parts I had downloaded to reconstruct it. That was the last time I ever downloaded anything on a P2P network.

6 or 7 years ago my internet was cut off without warning. I thought it was an outage. So I waited a day before calling, turns out they shut me off for downloading a movie. I played dumb and they reconnected me. A few days later I got a snail mail that had all the information correct even down to the file size of the parts I had downloaded to reconstruct it. That was the last time I ever downloaded anything on a P2P network.

Same here, just avoided the cutoff, though.

hmm... i know everyone on hardocp always yells at me for saying this:
but everyone under age 30 i know has file shared at least once. everyone except some of the people that don't own a pc lol.

so is the UK ready to get rid of the internet for half its population? lol. even if 10% ... that would reduce the gdp and competition of their country by 1000x more worse affects then downloading a freaking song off the internet.

Politicians with this kind of common sense are apparently banned in the USA. :(

Well after 2 DMCA emails, i stopped DLing off anywhere but rapidshare. But yeah its not like i go out and buy this shit now.

Same here, just avoided the cutoff, though.

So don't pirate software, movies and music? Just an idea. :rolleyes:

The last proxy program I used was not compatible with Vista x64, every website I went to, including Hulu, thought I was in Japan permanently (I suck at kana, period).

I have a TV, but it's used with a HTPC with no aerial or satellite connectiion yet I still have to pay the BBC licence fee.

Therefore I will download as much BBC material from the internet including HD content as I want, if they even try to touch my connection, i'll sue the fuckers :D

PROTIP: you downloaded something straight from a copyright group such as MediaSentry. They added you to a big list of downloaders/uploaders, then harassed your ISP with that list. You can go with an ISP that has balls and doesn't have any policy to police the internets on the behalf of copyright groups - if you can possibly find one - then P2P to your heart's content.

So don't pirate software, movies and music? Just an idea. :rolleyes:

Well, i did but in part because im just sick of media in general. Im oversaturated. I was DLing crap just outta habit. As far as actually money i spend per year, its stayed the same through the years. Ill buy something worth buying in my eyes, and only then.

Back