Disco Elysium

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
I am so glad I gave this a chance. I've always loved isometric/2.5D RPGs. Although DE is fully 3D with a static camera, it is reminiscent of the great Infinity Engine games among others, and the art style is both stylish and engaging.

I think it was during my first playthrough that I realized this would be a new favorite game.
A playthrough which ended in less than a minute. I crawled through the darkness of nothing towards consciousness only to die on the floor of a dirty apartment
and it was the best minute of gaming I've had in years.

Who else is playing? Ended the game in any ridiculously amazing ways? Spoiler tags, please.

Last edited:
I am so glad I gave this a chance. I've always loved isometric/2.5D RPGs. Although DE is fully 3D with a static camera, it is reminiscent of the great Infinity Engine games among others. and DE's art style is both stylish and engaging.

I think it was during my first playthrough that I realized this would be a new favorite game.
A playthrough which ended in less than a minute. I crawled through the darkness of nothing towards consciousness only to die on the floor of a dirty apartment
and it was the best minute of gaming I've had in years.

Who else is playing? Ended the game in any ridiculously amazing ways? Spoiler tags, please.
I have been mulling over picking this one up. Haven't had much time for gaming lately with selling my house and all. I think you might have just sold me on it though. It sounds like 30+ hours of quality game play if the reviews are to be believed.

84izi.jpg

Please, spoiler the shit out of it. I must know more ;)

There seems to be a good number of meaningful choices. From what I've seen, aside from those that end the game, some can change your character's personality and the way people react to them. I like that you can save any time so if you do come upon a game-ender, you can just reload and take another path. I'm guessing some are more subtle and the consequences of your actions and decisions may not be fully revealed until hours later.

I love an in-depth RPG, even if most of it is superficial. The writing, concept, and setting are still interesting enough to warrant the time investment.

/morale critical

3 responses for what is probably the best story driven CRPG since PS:T.

Go back to playing Skyrim and FO76 everyone.

/returns to lurking at codex

I want to pick this up but my game que is so deep this is just going to sit anyway. I'll wait until it goes on sale or my que clears, whichever comes first. Besides Red Dead 2 is about to pop on Tuesday and I haven't even finished Outer Worlds yet.

If it wasn't for RDR2, I would've purchased this already FOR SURE.

I picked it up and while there are some bugs(sometimes I'm unable to click objects in the environment), it really does feel like a labor of love. It's complex with a ton of world building. I can see this game getting multiple play throughs and seeing all the crazy, wild things you could do.

(sometimes I'm unable to click objects in the environment),

In some cases, it means you don't have the right item equipped: a bag to collect bottles, a crowbar to open containers, the key for a particular door, etc. It took me a while to recognize that you could click on the # over your health bar to dispense collected health/morale boosts, while in the process of dropping to 'critical' and ending your game.
There isn't much handholding.

Ah, no I mean I literally can't click doors or other objects. It leads me to wandering around realizing that I can't leave the room I'm in and I have to open an earlier save.

This game has 9.5 and 10 review scores, but not that much chatter about it. What's the disconnect, is it the lack of combat?

I think the name kind of puts people off. Disco Elysium is a very odd name and I almost assumed it was something to do with dancing, until I discovered it was a full fledged RPG.

It looks interesting but I'll probably wait for a sale to give it a try.

Ah, no I mean I literally can't click doors or other objects. It leads me to wandering around realizing that I can't leave the room I'm in and I have to open an earlier save.
I've noticed that too and it's probably a Unity engine bug, where you have to be standing in a specific spot to interact with something. Wander a step or two away, and re-attempt.

lol at ZeroPunc hiding the Disco review in the COD:MW one.

Finished this today after about 40 hours. It's very well written, (possibly the best writing in any game this decade?). Every single facet of the game, the characters, the fictional world, the buildings, the factions etc have an immense and in-depth back story to unravel or optionally learn about. It's extremely impressive the amount of depth packed into such a small slice of a fictional city.

There is no combat, the entire game is experienced through dialogue, exploration, solving tasks, and learning/reading new information. Information is your weapon here, as it will help you navigate through the ocean of dialogue being thrown at you, with its twists and turns (and hundreds of dialogue skill checks). Unlike other games, failing a dialogue skill check is not necessarily a bad outcome, as it might open up completely new dialogue and gameplay paths. It's intended.

I'm quite glad I picked this game up and went in completely blind. Only criticisms I have is the lack of fast travel (coming down to the end, some of the backtracking was tedious) and somewhat clunky movement (they should patch in a 'hold down mouse button to move' option). It's not a game for everyone, especially not for those who don't like reading dialogue or need combat in their games.

Why the hell isn't this thread 10 pages long. This game fucking rocks. Easily in my top 3 for 2019.

The name appears quiet deceiving as i didn't look beyond the name. If it is as good as planescape torment i might look into it further.

Why the hell isn't this thread 10 pages long. This game fucking rocks. Easily in my top 3 for 2019.
Never even heard of it before award season. Looked it up, read about it, watched some videos, was not impressed. Seems like the hype for this game is quite artificial, though I'm sure there are people who love it. Nice to know that the developers happily participate in the capitalist economy even though they're raving communists.

Never even heard of it before award season. Looked it up, read about it, watched some videos, was not impressed. Seems like the hype for this game is quite artificial, though I'm sure there are people who love it. Nice to know that the developers happily participate in the capitalist economy even though they're raving communists.

Why is the hype artificial? A LOT of people absolutely love this game. Just because you yourself did not doesn't make the love other people have for it any less real.

Sounds like the people who really like this type of isometric RPG got something really special. Doesn't seem like my type of game, but from everything I've heard it's very well made.

Sounds like the people who really like this type of isometric RPG got something really special. Doesn't seem like my type of game, but from everything I've heard it's very well made.
Same. I almost want to buy it to try and force myself to like it since I've heard nothing but good things.

Just waiting for this to get more languages added, but looks amazing.

Anyone still playing this?
How is for you guys?

Planning to pick it up, most reviews are with flying colors of this game, wondering how you guys like it.

Go for it. It's a superb game. Extremely well written, great graphics and interface, and your choices really influence outcomes and branches. I'd say it ties Odyssey for my favorite game in the last year. The hype is well deserved.

Also, worth mentioning the soundtrack which was done by British Sea Power (great band in their own right). It's one of the best game soundtrack in years, IMO , and perfectly fits the game. I incidentally have tickets to see BSP in June... unlikely happening now :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Tetsu
like this
Go for it. It's a superb game. Extremely well written, great graphics and interface, and your choices really influence outcomes and branches. I'd say it ties Odyssey for my favorite game in the last year. The hype is well deserved.

Also, worth mentioning the soundtrack which was done by British Sea Power (great band in their own right). It's one of the best game soundtrack in years, IMO , and perfectly fits the game.

Thanks for the info! WIll pick it up.

Back