Discharging the capacitors in a PSU

PHiZ

Limp Gawd
I have a vantec that has been in storage for a year or three. I am building a system around it, the system is running burn-in tests right now.

After I am convinced the system is stable I will be shortening the length of the PSU cables. I do this by cutting off the connectors and crimping new pins (from digikey) on to the wires.

I have done this before, but I wanted some advice on best practices on making sure that all the caps in the PSU are discharged before I start fiddling around. What I do so far is turn off the electricity at the wall plug and turn the computer on. The computer turns on for about 1/2 a second while it sucks the juice out of... the caps I'm thinking.

So any advice?

Cliff Notes: Best way to discharge capacitors in power supply before working on it?

-PHiZ

When it's running, pull the power plug.

Or, while the switch on the back is still on, pull the plug, then press the powerw button a few times.

Or, when it's off, pull out the power cable, hit the switch to O, then wait about 15 seconds, turn the switch back on, and slowly plug it in.

You will know if it discharges.

That's a good way to go about it. That'll suck all the power out of the caps; they are there to hold the power output up if there's a drop in the line voltage. Turning it on for a second drains that power.

Just dunk it in some water, that will get the charge out of them. =P

I kid, I joke. What the other guy said.

Back