Disappointing trend: Lack of VESA mount in LCDs (Samsung!)

loki7

Limp Gawd
Actually, two disappointing trends in LCDs these days--particularly Samsung:

- No height adjustment.
- More importantly: no screw patterns for 3rd party mounts/stands.

I own a couple ERGOTRON Neo-Flex LCD Stands for my 22" Samsung and 24" ASUS. I'm not willing to pay a large premium or sacrifice quality just to have a adjustable height, because the Neo-Flex is affordable, very well built and does the job. (Edit: I should note, I've had the Neo-Flex for years now through probably 4 different monitors) Except when you start finding monitors without VESA mount screw patterns. I was tempted by the new Samsung BX2450 24'' until I noticed the lack of screw holes. Personally I don't like tilting my head down to look at a monitor. I prefer the ergonomic recommendation. I can lower my office chair to eye level with the monitor, but without a height-adjustable desk that makes for very uncomfortable keyboard and mouse posture.

Obviously the easiest solution would be to put the monitor on a box, but that's so tacky. (I actually used to do that until I found the Neo-Flex..)

Damn you manufacturers who are omitting the VESA mount! (or don't provide height adjustment)

I 100% completely agree. I usually prefer samsung but so many of their latest montiors do not have VESA mounting holes. We finally have super thin and light monitors but no way to mount them on a arm?! seriously this is messed up.

I was going to go with the 25.5" Asus monitors for eyefinity at one point. But the lack of vesa mounts meant my triple mount would not work with them. Cost Asus 3 sales. Even cheap 22" TN's mostly have vesa mounts. I can't find a good excuse for lacking it on any monitor above $300 or 24" in size. Even if I don't intend to use the vesa, I make sure to buy only monitors that have them just in case.

Though they were smaller and more expensive, I have been pretty pleased with my ZR24W's, so I guess it was not a big loss. Even if they are crap by IPS standards, they still look better than TN's, are cheaper than most 24" IPS monitors, have vesa mounts, relatively low lag, and a fairly sturdy stand.

Last edited:
Not to go off topic but what do you mean by ZR24's being crap by IPS standards? Reviews I read show them to be very good except for out of the box settings.

I only ask cause I am considering buying one for gaming (need the low input lag) but am afraid that it wont compare to my 244T.

I agree with you. Maybe Samsung wants to prevent people from returning damaged monitors because of inadequate stands.
Check the stand's specs and you will notice that they limit their use to certain size screens; generally <24" and a weight limit.

Last edited:
I don't own any newer generation asus/samsung monitors that you speak off, however i have seen those thin LCD from samsung at costco and i will agree as i was also planning on buying 27 inch monitor and was gonna mount it on stand (in new house i've just the right place to put upto 34" tv/monitor between two closets there is little space which runs deep and yes i checked can't freaking get in 36/37" needs quater of and inch more)

i can't say nothing about asus but my guess with samsung is that those thing glass stand might have caused the fault on design of the upper body as for that mount they might have to bring out little of the plastic in the back and might have caused the tilt to fall down either back or front depending where the weight will focus regarding center of gravity. i mean not everyone was planning on hanging it on stand. than again i might be wrong.

Not to go off topic but what do you mean by ZR24's being crap by IPS standards? Reviews I read show them to be very good except for out of the box settings.

I only ask cause I am considering buying one for gaming (need the low input lag) but am afraid that it wont compare to my 244T.

This is kinda off topic, but from what I understand the ZR24 would have a relatively bad black point and low contrast compared to your s-pva 244T.

110% agree. I've been shopping for a three monitor setup for the last couple weeks, and the only way I'm going to accomplish it w/ my current desk is via three ergotron arms, and almost none of samsung's offerings have vesa mounts. It's massively frustrating.

My requirements are

1. 22-24"
2. DVI + HDMI or Displayport out
3. Vesa mounts

I'm a step away from just buying three Dell u2311's and calling it a day.

Pro-tip. Don't buy Samsung. There are plenty of other good monitors with VESA mounting.

Back