Disappointed with my new build...

motolube

Gawd
This is, by far, the first time that this happens to me, usually I am grinning ear to ear when I finally am able to get a new build, not this time, this time I feel like I have wasted my money. Perhaps I was under the impression that what I had was a low end system and it turned out to be a Medium to Top end system? I mean for me, perhaps for others with top of the line systems still is low end... I will try to explain better

I used some of the components from my old build to make this one because they were good enough to use.

OLD BUILD...

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
TT Speedo Advance Case
PC Power & Cooling 750 Silence PSU
Intel Q9650 w/CM V8 Cooler
EVGA 780 SLI FTW Mobo
Corsair Dominator 8GBs 1066Mhz DDR2 Ram
EVGA GTX260 + MSI 9500GT (PhysX)
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD (OS)
Samsung 750 + 1TB HDD for Storage

About a month or so I was able to acquire a new Asus GTX 660 OC 2GBs GPU so I took out the GTX260 and I felt a bit of a better performance but more so eye candy than anything else.

There was a Hot Deal for an ASRock z87 Extreme 6 Mobo + i5-4670K haswell that I couldn't resist and I went for it, but of course I needed to buy RAM as well and I did so here is.

NEW BUILD

Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
TT Speedo Advance Case (from old build)
PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer PSU
ASRock Z87 Extreme 6 Mobo
i5-4670K Hasswell CPU
G-Skill Ripjaws 8GBs 2133 DDR3 RAM
Asus GTX660 OC 2GB GPU
Samsung 840 SSD 120 GB (OS... also added as new addition)
Samsung 750 + 1.5 TB HDD for Storage (from old build)

Startup seems faster but this is always the case with a new build, I just don't see improvements in speed anywhere even though I now have an SSD.

I only do Campaigns when I game and here is where I see a lack of performance. Hell, I even feel that I have lower FPSs than even before... I will try to add my old GTX260 for PhysX to see if that helps... even though a lot of people have told me that it will interfere a bit.

Another thing that has me perplexed is the fact that the Mobo treats my HDDs and my SSD as if they were USBs instead of SATA plugged in drives... I have not tried uninstalling or disabling this option but I will just to check.

I don't OC any of my builds so I have not done it here as well.

I have left the BIOS with default settings as much as possible and have changed a few things that really should not make any difference in performance... things like silent fans (temps are more than ok), things like ASRock image at beginning of Bios startup since I like to see the post do its thing.

Being a totally new Mobo I may have to do some reading or changes that I perhaps have not done but I would think that I should be feeling an immediate performance just by this switch in builds?

Any words of advice? anything that you guys feel I should change or look for? I am open to any suggestion as this point as my disappointment is vast.

Startup seems faster but this is always the case with a new build, I just don't see improvements in speed anywhere even though I now have an SSD..
Well, what exactly are you using this PC for?
I only do Campaigns when I game and here is where I see a lack of performance. Hell, I even feel that I have lower FPSs than even before... I will try to add my old GTX260 for PhysX to see if that helps... even though a lot of people have told me that it will interfere a bit.
It will interfere a bit so I really wouldn't recommend that option. What games are you playing?
Another thing that has me perplexed is the fact that the Mobo treats my HDDs and my SSD as if they were USBs instead of SATA plugged in drives... I have not tried uninstalling or disabling this option but I will just to check..
How exactly are they treated as USB drives?
Being a totally new Mobo I may have to do some reading or changes that I perhaps have not done but I would think that I should be feeling an immediate performance just by this switch in builds?
Largely dependent on what you're using the PC for and what games you're playing. Certain usages and games may not show a noticeable performance improvement. Either that or you screwed up the OS and driver install somehow. Speaking of which, this is a fresh OS install, correct? Also, double check to make sure that your CPU is actually throttling correctly.

A couple questions or need of clarification:

1) So you play the same games as before and there are less FPS? Or are you playing newer, more demanding games?
2) What games do you play?
3) Did you change monitors or resolution between the two setups?

Another thing that has me perplexed is the fact that the Mobo treats my HDDs and my SSD as if they were USBs instead of SATA plugged in drives... I have not tried uninstalling or disabling this option but I will just to check.

This is probably the hot-swap option turned on for these drives.

Well, what exactly are you using this PC for?
2 logins (Wife and I):

Wife side... emails, facebook crap, youtube, internet browsing.

My side... Sporadic emails, internet browsing. Mainly Gaming, Solo/Campaigns... Shooters Only.

It will interfere a bit so I really wouldn't recommend that option. What games are you playing?
Games like Crysis, 2 & 3, CoD MWs, MoH WF, GRFS.

All of these games were played on my old build and I am starting over on my new build so, seat of the pants feelings more than application benchmarks.

How exactly are they treated as USB drives?
You know how you go to "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" option when you want to get your thumb drive out? Well, I was doing that with a thumb drive and I saw all my 3 HDD/SSD drives with that option. I was tempted to try doing one of them but was afraid at the outcome or not being able to put it back as it should be :eek: :p

Largely dependent on what you're using the PC for and what games you're playing. Certain usages and games may not show a noticeable performance improvement.
Well, ok, this is not exactly what I wanted to hear but it makes some sense... in a way that my machine, old as it was, was not as low end as I had previously thought.

Being said that, I thought that by going from a Q9650 to a Haswell i5-4670K, I was going a couple of steps up (if not even more!)... add that the difference on the boards and those were huge steps :(

Either that or you screwed up the OS and driver install somehow. Speaking of which, this is a fresh OS install, correct?
I don't see how I could have screwed up the OS but anything is possible... it was a new and fresh install, NOT an upgrade but FULL install.
Insert the CD, choose Full install, go through the motions, get to the desktop, wait for W7 to install generic drivers, pull the W7 CD/DVD out, restart, get to desktop, insert Mobo's CD, install drivers from Mobo, pull cd out and restart for good measure.

Get to the Internet, go to Realtek and Nvida to get latest drivers, save to temp folder, install Video and Audio drivers, restart, go to Device Manager, check driver's install, update Monitor's driver to dedicated driver instead of Generic PnP monitor Driver.

Also, double check to make sure that your CPU is actually throttling correctly.
I have heard of this before but not to familiar with it... how exactly do I do that? Is this a Bios thing or once on my Desktop I go to Task Manager and check there? if ladder... what am I looking for and what do I need to change if its not? :confused:

A couple questions or need of clarification:

1) So you play the same games as before and there are less FPS? Or are you playing newer, more demanding games?
2) What games do you play?
3) Did you change monitors or resolution between the two setups?

1) Yes, same games as the ones I was playing with Old Rig. Seat of the pants, as stated before, New Rig just feel more sluggish than Old Rig is all.

2) Shooters, see previous answers above

3) No, same monitor as before... Old Acer 22" 1680 x 1050 native res IIRC.

This is probably the hot-swap option turned on for these drives.
I could understand the SSD doing a Hot-Swap but not the HDDs, unless of course, they are also capable of hot-swapping? :confused:

Since you aren't overclocking (why get a K series if you don't overclock?) I am assuming you are using the stock cooler. Try something simple, check if your heatsink is mounted properly (those damn push-pins keep screwing up for me). If possible monitor your CPU temps during gameplay, see if they jump to ridiculous levels.

Can't be a GPU bottleneck at 1680x1050, your GTX 660 should smoke nearly any game at that resolution regardless of eyecandy. Do the games feel fast at the start and seem to slow down or does it feel slow throughout? Have you tried benchmarking your SSD to be sure it's running at proper speeds?

Since you aren't overclocking (why get a K series if you don't overclock?) I am assuming you are using the stock cooler. Try something simple, check if your heatsink is mounted properly (those damn push-pins keep screwing up for me). If possible monitor your CPU temps during gameplay, see if they jump to ridiculous levels.
It was one of those Newegg combo deals that I couldn't refuse, hence, the why I went with the K model.

Yes, stock cooler and Yes, I gotta believe the stock cooler is doing its job because I went to the Bios and I opted for Silent Mode on the CPU cooler and my CPU was running at about 67 degrees (this was right after installation was done), as soon as I put the cooler fan back to normal or Std mode (the fan was not moving in silent mode), the temps went back to the low 30s.

I doubt that the temps are wrong but I will try to keep an eye on it... what do you guys use for best results?

Can't be a GPU bottleneck at 1680x1050, your GTX 660 should smoke nearly any game at that resolution regardless of eyecandy. Do the games feel fast at the start and seem to slow down or does it feel slow throughout? Have you tried benchmarking your SSD to be sure it's running at proper speeds?
That is exactly what I thought, I should be able to smoke any of those games even at High and I usually only change the video res when the game does not do it automatically, the rest I leave it to the game to choose.

Hard to say whether at the beginning, throughout or at the end but I will keep an eye on that. It could be more than I was expecting less hiccups or freezes (hard to explain) but the game to play smoother is all.

No, no benchmark on the SSD... how exactly do I do that? :confused: :eek:

Games like Crysis, 2 & 3, CoD MWs, MoH WF, GRFS.
Well there we go: None of the games you've mentioned are not extremely CPU heavy. In addition, since you're only playing the single player campaigns of those games, the CPU usage in those games are further lowered as well. Now if you were playing BF3 multiplayer, Skyrim, Metro: Last Light, Far Cry 3 or non-FPS games, you would see a decent performance increase with the newer CPU.

You know how you go to "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" option when you want to get your thumb drive out? Well, I was doing that with a thumb drive and I saw all my 3 HDD/SSD drives with that option. I was tempted to try doing one of them but was afraid at the outcome or not being able to put it back as it should be :eek: :p

I could understand the SSD doing a Hot-Swap but not the HDDs, unless of course, they are also capable of hot-swapping? :confused:
Hard drives are capable of hot-swap, dude. It's been that way ever since hot-swap was introduced.

Well, ok, this is not exactly what I wanted to hear but it makes some sense... in a way that my machine, old as it was, was not as low end as I had previously thought.

Being said that, I thought that by going from a Q9650 to a Haswell i5-4670K, I was going a couple of steps up (if not even more!)... add that the difference on the boards and those were huge steps :(
With the exceptions of the games you've mention, all of the usage you've mentioned so far aren't that heavy on the performance scale. As such, yes getting a 4670K for emails, facebook, youtube, and internet browsing is overkill.

insert Mobo's CD, install drivers from Mobo.
Not wrong per se but not optimal: You're suppose to download and install the latest drivers for the motherboard straight from the motherboard's manufacturer's website. Generally, I'd only recommend using drivers from the mobo CD if you don't have an external drive/flash drive, no internet access at all, and a secondary PC to download the drivers to.

Also, you did let Windows 7 install all of the available Windows 7 updates before using the PC correct?

I have heard of this before but not to familiar with it... how exactly do I do that? Is this a Bios thing or once on my Desktop I go to Task Manager and check there? if ladder... what am I looking for and what do I need to change if its not? :confused:
Download, unzip, and run CPU-Z. If it's not throttling correctly, you'd have to disable SpeedStep and C1E in the UEFI.

Well, then I still find myself being disappointed for the lack of performance but, I do take in the fact that I still have a newer rig for another few years.

Yes, Windows 7 has all the updates necessary up to SP1 I do believe.

Ok, CPU-Z but How do I know whether it is throttling correctly? would CPU-Z tell me so? what tell tale signs do I look for?

Oh and sorry for not knowing about the hot-swap thing, I guess my old mobo did not have that option, hence, why I never read about it.

You have the monitor plugged into the 660 and not the motherboard right?

Something has to be wrong. Even those old titles should come to new life from a Q9XXX and GTX260 (a DX10 card) going to a Haswell and relatively current GPU. Definitely make sure you have the most recent nVidia drivers installed as well as all of the drivers that came with the motherboard. This PC should smoke your previous one by a longshot.

Good thought. What are your settings in something like Crysis 2? Run FRAPS and see what kind of frames you are getting.

All your RAM is visible in windows right (CPU-Z will tell you that)?

Something is really odd to not see the performance boost you should with the build differences.

Well, then I still find myself being disappointed for the lack of performance but, I do take in the fact that I still have a newer rig for another few years.
Yes, Windows 7 has all the updates necessary up to SP1 I do believe.
Double-check.
Ok, CPU-Z but How do I know whether it is throttling correctly? would CPU-Z tell me so? what tell tale signs do I look for?
It should tell you what the clock speed the CPU is at. Speedfan also shows that info as well temperatures as well.

Oh and sorry for not knowing about the hot-swap thing, I guess my old mobo did not have that option, hence, why I never read about it.
Your mobo did have that option but you never enabled it or the right driver was never installed.

There is monitoring software that can tell you if it's throttling. Examples: AIDA64, HWiNFO64, RealTemp T|I.

Yes of course... not my first rodeo either ;)

Although, it is pertinent question and one I should had clarify before. :p

Something has to be wrong. Even those old titles should come to new life from a Q9XXX and GTX260 (a DX10 card) going to a Haswell and relatively current GPU. Definitely make sure you have the most recent nVidia drivers installed as well as all of the drivers that came with the motherboard. This PC should smoke your previous one by a longshot.
That is exactly what I thought and, hence, the big disappointment :(

I know I have the latest drivers for my Audio and Video but I just learn of this new Nvidia Geforce Experience and I am going to install it when I get home.

I did not grab the latest Mobo drivers from ASRock, that is my bad. In my Defense, I almost never do this with any of my builds since I usually install the ones that come in the CD except for video and Audio... I will also try to update the mobo drivers and hope there is something to it.

Good thought. What are your settings in something like Crysis 2? Run FRAPS and see what kind of frames you are getting.

All your RAM is visible in windows right (CPU-Z will tell you that)?

Something is really odd to not see the performance boost you should with the build differences.
Never one to run FRAPS but I will try to do that during my gaming time on the pc, even though, because of how disappointed I am, I have not been playing much ever since I found out. :(

Yes, 8 GBs of RAM show on Post-Up, have not really checked this on Device Manager and/or CPU-Z when I get to it.

It should tell you what the clock speed the CPU is at. Speedfan also shows that info as well temperatures as well.

Your mobo did have that option but you never enabled it or the right driver was never installed.
Ok, will check as soon as I get to the PC, not really in the mood as of late.

On the mobo having that option... I am one of those guys that use what I need and perhaps this is bad in some circumstances. when I need something, I tend to ask or search for an answer, like now! :p

There is monitoring software that can tell you if it's throttling. Examples: AIDA64, HWiNFO64, RealTemp T|I.
Well, if my using CPU-Z does not bring a positive outcome, I will sure try that.

Hard drives are capable of hot-swap, dude. It's been that way ever since hot-swap was introduced.

Agreed. SATA1 supported hot swap. I have hot swapped hard drives for well over a decade on linux. The problem was windows did not recognize most drives were removable until AHCI support and without windows recognizing a drive to be removable there was usually not a good way to force the OS to safely unmount the drive and also recognize a newly added device. Although with that said I do remember having some success working around this windows limitation years ago with a few different utilities on windows 2000 and possibly windows XP.

Well... all windows updates done up-to-date... SP1 confirmed.

Audio and Video drivers also up to date and installed correctly... uninstall old, remnants wiped out of registry, install new drivers.

Playing a Solo Mission on CoD MW3 I still don't see a huge difference in performance but, thinking about it, what am I really expecting to see? The game does not really give you multiple video options, all I remember seeing is Video Res and FPSs are, for the most part really fast. What I do see is that PhysX is giving me more Eye Candy... where I used to feel the heat of something being on fire (characted made noises of getting or being burnt), I now see the fire more alive, see the smoke and the small fire particles flying in the air... something I don't recall seeing before even when using the 9500GT solely for PhysX purposes.

I have yet to test the new rig with Crysis 3 but I am hoping to anemically feel better on the weekend and doing so... if feeling up to it, I am even going to use FRAPS to see what's what... unfortunately I can not do a base comparison from the old to the new rig but, seat of the pants has never let me down! :D

I am feeling a bit better about the rig now, perhaps my feeling down for something else did not help and I took it out on the new rig.

Another thing here is the resolution you are running at; a 22" monitor running 1680x1050 probably wasn't stressing your old system to the point of degrading game play. So switching to the newer system using that same resolution might not be that noticeable with the games you are playing.

A few things to check though:
1. Make sure your SATA controller in BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID.
2. Get a temp monitoring program and start monitoring temps and post in here.
3. Get a few benchmark programs, specifcally like an SSD bench and GPU bench and post here.
4. Check system logs to make sure you aren't getting any weird errors.
5. Are all of your firmwares up to date?
edit 6. Buyers remorse sucks and skews perspective.

MW3 is not exactly a demanding game, especially at that res. The difference between 200fps and 300fps might not really be visible, especially if you use vsync. Test it with something newer like Crysis 3, as you said.

Another thing here is the resolution you are running at; a 22" monitor running 1680x1050 probably wasn't stressing your old system to the point of degrading game play. So switching to the newer system using that same resolution might not be that noticeable with the games you are playing.

A few things to check though:
1. Make sure your SATA controller in BIOS is set to AHCI or RAID.
2. Get a temp monitoring program and start monitoring temps and post in here.
3. Get a few benchmark programs, specifcally like an SSD bench and GPU bench and post here.
4. Check system logs to make sure you aren't getting any weird errors.
5. Are all of your firmwares up to date?
edit 6. Buyers remorse sucks and skews perspective.
1.- I will check that later as well.
2.- My pc has like 3 or 4 120mm fans and 3 more 80mm fans so I doubt that temps have anything to do with it but, I will check nonethless, one can never be sure.
3.- Care to name a free one that does a good job?
4.- Hmmm, I have not done that but I will
5.- Aside from SSD firmware, what other is there?
6.- You are right, I got the combo against my better judgement and that could be part of my disappointmet.

MW3 is not exactly a demanding game, especially at that res. The difference between 200fps and 300fps might not really be visible, especially if you use vsync. Test it with something newer like Crysis 3, as you said.
This is very true but as stated before, yesterday's game left me a bit happier because of the added eye candy I did not have before and... who doesn't love Eye Candy?. :p ;) :D

Have you even compared framerates at the same settings? Also, if you are using a 60Hz LCD you won't see much benefit past a certain point.

Completely pointless to continue discussion until the OP shows us some kind of benchmark (easy to do with Fraps benchmarking feature) in a particular game with the settings being ran. I would also recommend running 3dmark 11 and telling us what you get.

Uh.. the difference between 200 and 300 FPS is not visible on anything other than a panel capable of displaying greater than 200 Hz.

Do you play with vsync on or off?

That's a good point. The other thing that came to mind is that these games might have an auto-detect function for the graphic settings. While they may subjectively "feel" the same with vsync on, the 660 probably has more of the eye candy turned on by default including higher levels of AA/AF.

6.- You are right, I got the combo against my better judgement and that could be part of my disappointmet.

Wait a second! I thought your upgrade was a great call.

Mind you, I would get a cheap but very good coolermaster CPU cooler, OC that sucker.

You are ready for new games, and if you want to you could also get a higher rez monitor.

Does anyone disagree?

Do you play with vsync on or off?
Whatever the Game Option Default is... I am not one to touch much in there for fear of lighting something on fire :D

That's a good point. The other thing that came to mind is that these games might have an auto-detect function for the graphic settings. While they may subjectively "feel" the same with vsync on, the 660 probably has more of the eye candy turned on by default including higher levels of AA/AF.
Possiby, I did make sure this time around (last night) playing Crysis 3 to turn Vsync Off.

One thing I did notice is that pretty much all the setting were on High, whereas, with the old rig, they were normal or low at best. Eye candy is still there but now, my rig does not bug or freeze at the beginning of a new map, it used to do this something fierce before.

Wait a second! I thought your upgrade was a great call.

Mind you, I would get a cheap but very good coolermaster CPU cooler, OC that sucker.

You are ready for new games, and if you want to you could also get a higher rez monitor.

Does anyone disagree?
It was a great call but I did it more with the intentions of reselling it to make a few bucks, budget is super tight right now and deep down inside I felt bad about spending money on something trivial that I may need later for real life stuff... aside from that, I know that it is a good combo.

I don't like to OC, even if it automatic now or easy to do, since I only do Solo Campaigns, there is really no need and besides, the majority of these bad console ports, tend to hate OC rigs so I might as well stick with what I have.

If the crap hits the fan, I can always go back and use my CM V8 cooler... I just didn't do it because I remember having a hellacious time installing it the first time around ;)

Uh.. the difference between 200 and 300 FPS is not visible on anything other than a panel capable of displaying greater than 200 Hz.

That was exactly my point. If his former setup was adequate already for what he was doing, having improvements you can't see or feel would just be spending money for the sake of spending money.

I would like to see some benches too.

Whatever the Game Option Default is... I am not one to touch much in there for fear of lighting something on fire :D

Possiby, I did make sure this time around (last night) playing Crysis 3 to turn Vsync Off.

One thing I did notice is that pretty much all the setting were on High, whereas, with the old rig, they were normal or low at best. Eye candy is still there but now, my rig does not bug or freeze at the beginning of a new map, it used to do this something fierce before.

mal-what.gif

I personally think you have a good attitude and are putting in the efforts. Do not worry if you think it is cheap because my computer is from the year 1998 for the IBM Thinkpad T20. hehe The other one I have is from 2005, which is the eMachine T3104 with boosted NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 AGP 8x 3D graphics card with VGA/S-Video/DVI output. Last I have a MacBook Pro (early 2011). So as you can see, I have many low powered systems that I am happy with. It looks like you run circles hehe So be happy with what you have! Seriously dude, you are fortunate. I consider myself lucky, but I worked hard for what I have. Even the little laptop from 15 years ago is precious to me. I had to put it all together and everything. So take good care of it and work hard on your systems and it will make you feel good.

I personally think you have a good attitude and are putting in the efforts. Do not worry if you think it is cheap because my computer is from the year 1998 for the IBM Thinkpad T20. hehe The other one I have is from 2005, which is the eMachine T3104 with boosted NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 AGP 8x 3D graphics card with VGA/S-Video/DVI output. Last I have a MacBook Pro (early 2011). So as you can see, I have many low powered systems that I am happy with. It looks like you run circles hehe So be happy with what you have! Seriously dude, you are fortunate. I consider myself lucky, but I worked hard for what I have. Even the little laptop from 15 years ago is precious to me. I had to put it all together and everything. So take good care of it and work hard on your systems and it will make you feel good.

What a weird post. A MBP is not low powered, and if you have a modern MBP why are you citing your T20 first as "your computer" like it's your daily use machine or something. We both know it isn't.

Anyways, looks like the situation was a result of wanton ignorance and this thread a waste of time for everyone involved.

Jesus Christ! I went back and re-read everything and did not realize I was kinda getting ahead of myself. I just read his post and went straight to what I thought. Then I went back and skimmed through everything and saw a lot of people trying hard to help the original poster out. So I'm sorry for interrupting. If you have not gotten all your system to your satisfaction and all parties are not happy yet, please continue. I apologize for just blurting out my answer. Anyways, good luck! :)

One thing I did notice is that pretty much all the setting were on High, whereas, with the old rig, they were normal or low at best.

Welcome to the high detail club. That's what an upgrade gets you- more eye candy. Most games don't really change much at all in terms of gameplay once you have enough FPS at a decent resolution on low detail. In the past they often did, but not anymore. Go back a few years and low detail killed your draw distance and made things blurry. The days when you installed a 6800GT, turned the settings up, and were impressed by how much farther out you could see and how much clearer the picture looked are over. Now you mostly get lighting, post processing, etc. from high detail rather than extra polygons. Some of them just make things harder to see... particularly the glare and haze effects.

I'd check your settings. A 660 should be able to max out most games at 1680x1050, but autodetection doesn't always work as well as you might like. Sometimes I think they make assumptions about screen resolution rather than actually looking. It seems to work ok on my laptop (1080p), but always misses on my desktop if surround is enabled.

You are right, I keep forgetting that now a days they do not put alot of effort into this games, more so those bad console ports. Then again, I am so use to autodetection that I never learn to manually adjust video options, let alone learn what they do or even mean... I am certainly behind the 8 ball on that one.

I am also lazy when it comes to it so I am guessing I will have to start noticing those little changes with the newer games.

I have never really cared for benchmarks and I doubt I will start at my age, seat of the pants works for me and I guess it has never let me down before.

Knowing now what I have learn from you guys just in this post, I am beginning to feel a lot better with my new rig.

Back