Disappointed Upgrade from 3800x2 to Operteron 185

Lox

n00b
What a waste of money buying an Operteron 185 was !!
Oced my 3800+ to 27% and can only get 15% with the Operteron 185.
TOTAL waste of money for a couple of extra clock cycles. Not to mention the extra heat the Operteron produces even at stock voltages.
Very disappointed AMD fan, who will soon be going back to Intel after 15 years with AMD.

TOTAL waste of money for a couple of extra clock cycles. Not to mention the extra heat the Operteron produces even at stock voltages.
Very disappointed AMD fan, who will soon be going back to Intel after 15 years with AMD.

you do understand the concept of CPU steppings and that not all chips overclock well.?

there are people with conroes who are upset their CPU's didnt overclock to what other people are getting.

maybe you should be a little disappointed that you didnt do your homework.

So let me get this straight. You're disappointed that the chip you bought, which is set to run at a certain speed, and NOT faster, DOES run faster, but not as much faster as you want.

Ummmmm kay.

POPEGOLD? POPEGOLD from the old, old Tom's Hardware delphi forum? Crazy.

Oh well, haven't seen an upset AMD overclocker lately. Usually it's Conroe posters who are upset that their E6600 didn't hit 4Ghz... this is a nice change :p

you do understand the concept of CPU steppings and that not all chips overclock well.?

there are people with conroes who are upset their CPU's didnt overclock to what other people are getting.

maybe you should be a little disappointed that you didnt do your homework.
Care to share a document/link on stepping? Because I sure spent a lot of time searching for information and am upset with MYSELF for jumping at any high end AMD S939 I could find at a reasonable price.

The stock speed of this CPU is 2600 Mhz and the stepping is LCBBE which I've read is a dog, but how do you determine what you are going to get when ordering?
What bother's me is AMD not supporting socket 939, such that I'm left having to buy left over's to TRY and take advantage of the rest of my investment, especially when the AM2 provides little advantage over S939(other than the low wattage).

It sounds like you did not do your homework beforehand.

It sounds like you did not do your homework beforehand.

Yes I admit I did not complete my homework as I couldn't find the information I was looking for on stepping. I hear all this talk about crappy stepping, good stepping but for the life of me I can't find anything that tells which stepping's are better than others?
If someone could direct me to some good information on stepping I sure would appreciate it.

Yes I admit I did not complete my homework as I couldn't find the information I was looking for on stepping. I hear all this talk about crappy stepping, good stepping but for the life of me I can't find anything that tells which stepping's are better than others?
If someone could direct me to some good information on stepping I sure would appreciate it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001

Not only did you not do your homework, you're completely unaware of the Athlon 64 overclocking envelope. You're at 2990 (15% over 2600 is 2990)? Stop whining. Very few people get anything to go that high.

you would have been smarter with a 170, maybe 175, for less money, which would reach about the same clock speed.

Athlon 64, without any extreme measures tops out around 3.0 Ghz.

Be happy with what you got. I've never been able to get more than just shy of 2.6 on my 165 (cooled w/ the Swiftech Apex Ultra kit). Mind you I'm running an eVGA NF41 (lousy BIOS support), w/ 2x512 OCZ Value VX (UTTs). Am I disappointed that I didn't get higher? Yes. Am I pissed that I didn't get closer to the 3.0 range? No. I got well above what the 165 is rated for (1.8), basically got a chip that performed the same as an (at the time) $1000 one [my entire system build cost was not much more than that]. It's getting more and more enticing to try and de-lid my Opty, now that I can get a backup 3800+ for well south off $100 - whether I'll get a better o/c as a result who knows...

Thank You very much for the link, Ecilpse. Exactly what I was looking for!

Secretly I still want to stay with AMD even though I'm miffed about AMD dropping the S939 without giving us a step change in performance with the AM2. I want the little guy that provided us with with all this extra horsepower for many years to beat out Intel. After all if it where not for AMD there would be no Conroe and CPU prices would be double.

Now that I've had a little cheese with my wine I feel better :)

POPEGOLD? POPEGOLD from the old, old Tom's Hardware delphi forum? Crazy.

yeah its me.... i got recognized the other day in another thread...

well TOM's left delpee most of us went to THE LAB

that got took over by mod nazi's so we left for the MOD FREE confines of the JUNGLE
http://thejungle.zforums.net

i post there and here..... i was banned from toms new forum by the mod nazi Jack Barnes for "talking back"

Thank You very much for the link, Ecilpse. Exactly what I was looking for!

Secretly I still want to stay with AMD even though I'm miffed about AMD dropping the S939 without giving us a step change in performance with the AM2. I want the little guy that provided us with with all this extra horsepower for many years to beat out Intel. After all if it where not for AMD there would be no Conroe and CPU prices would be double.

Now that I've had a little cheese with my wine I feel better :)

didnt mean to sound harsh....but 90% of hardcore overclocking is research...the other 10% is asking other hardcore overclockers for ADVICE b4 u give your credit card number to newegg,

we r all brothers in the quest for higher overclocks and we help each other...

yeah its me.... i got recognized the other day in another thread...

well TOM's left delpee most of us went to THE LAB

that got took over by mod nazi's so we left for the MOD FREE confines of the JUNGLE
http://thejungle.zforums.net

i post there and here..... i was banned from toms new forum by the mod nazi Jack Barnes for "talking back"
I see. I lost interest before that and was put off by the new THG fora at one glance.

Strange seeing a name from that time for the first time, It's almost a decade ago. Forums are much more widely used these days. I recall you being the AMD fan. The tough-talking Intel-drone, the 3DFX fanatic and a few other things also stuck to my memory.

I see. I lost interest before that and was put off by the new THG fora at one glance.

Strange seeing a name from that time for the first time, It's almost a decade ago. Forums are much more widely used these days. I recall you being the AMD fan. The tough-talking Intel-drone, the 3DFX fanatic and a few other things also stuck to my memory.

yeah ... i stumbled onto TOMS old Delpee forum like in 98.. i wasnt a fan of anyone at the time.... I think i had a AMD k62-300...and i was just belittled for using AMD on that forum...after being attacked like that ...i fought back...against the INTELIOTS...and their leader BITEMEOFF.... was a fun time and the war still rages at the JUNGLE.... and XTREME SYSTEMS

i went from an X24400+ to an opty 185 and i saw a HUGE increase in everything, so yours cant be that bad, you're going from a slower chip even.
and i dont even overclock.:)
everything was a pretty big jump, especially games where i saw a good 8-12 FPS increase in everything game i have.

:cool:

Yeah doing homework is key. I read a bunch about the Opty 165 and its steppings before buying mine. Got it up to 3.0ghz. Running 2.95ghz 24/7 though.

Yeah gotta do you hw. I made the same mistake. I bought a 175 when the prices fell for like $220ish and it didn't over clock that well. I think I got it to do like 2.6 with lots of voltage. I ended up selling it and buying a 165 off ebay with a good stepping. Paid about $190 for the 165 but I got to see the stepping I was getting. (they where going for $150ish at the time from newegg)

going from 2.5 to 2.9 seems alot to me.. always look at neweggs details they tell you your stepping sometimes, though somtimes they send you something diferent anyways.. if i were you next time look up the model names on what cpu your buying and see which steppings are good and ebay or search forum sales for those steppings trying to order a overclocking cpu from newegg is like trying to catch a fish with no bait

Lox, Trust me, you want to keep that Opteron over your 3800x2. Even if you only get 2.9ghz stable over the former 2.5 your memory bandwidth will be higher, gamming experience, etc. You have 2mb cache vs the 3800 which I believe is 512k each. Your multipier is 13x which gives you much more wider windows of overcloking options vs 10x. I've tested the 3800x2 vs Opteron 170 on the same board/ram a while ago and the only thing the 3800 beat it in was a slight memory read or write bandwidth (forgot which one) on a clock per clock speed comparison. At 2.9ghz or even 2.99 ghz you say you can get you'll exceed anything that 3800 can put out at even 2.6.

Plus, your mb/ram might be a limiting factor in your situation, whereas a differenent board may give you a higher clock. 2.9 is damn good, it's rare to hit above that on air. My 170 will only do 2.8 on air and a maxium 2.99 on water in the winter. Your chip easy equals an E6300 at 3ghz. Wait until you get to play some games and have the right drivers and let us know what you think. Hope you got a graphics card good enough for it. 7900gt or better.

Core 2 Duo is at least 20% faster clock for clock across the board. He'll need at least ~3.5ghz to equal an E6300 @ 3ghz.

That's why his name is ConroeFTW!!!

Are you going to have to make a new name when the next-gen CPUs come out?

PenRynFTW

Core 2 Duo is at least 20% faster clock for clock across the board. He'll need at least ~3.5ghz to equal an E6300 @ 3ghz.

That's why his name is ConroeFTW!!!

Are you going to have to make a new name when the next-gen CPUs come out?

PenRynFTW

then NeHalEmFTW
lol, but it is pretty much a well-known fact that Conroe is faster than any AMD cpu clock for clock....I can't believe there are people claiming otherwise at this point. It would be tough to put a number value on it, but you would need to be above 3ghz to equal a E6300 at 3ghz.

2.9ghz on an Opty though is definitely a fast chip all the same.

lol, but it is pretty much a well-known fact that Conroe is faster than any AMD cpu clock for clock....I can't believe there are people claiming otherwise at this point. It would be tough to put a number value on it, but you would need to be above 3ghz to equal a E6300 at 3ghz.

2.9ghz on an Opty though is definitely a fast chip all the same.

True true, I think it's very roughly close to 600 Mhz, although maybe like 400 Mhz... in any case, Core2 is fast, but AMD is still no slouch... yet... we'll see what the future holds for us :D

I'm going to go with BarTonFTW

I wish that computer still worked... 9800Pro running Oblivion FTW?

I'm going to go with BarTonFTW

I wish that computer still worked... 9800Pro running Oblivion FTW?

QFTW! The Barton was an awesome chip. I'm retiring my XP 2600+ later today. 3+ years at 2.2GHz on relatively stock cooling, and still rock solid.

QFTW! The Barton was an awesome chip. I'm retiring my XP 2600+ later today. 3+ years at 2.2GHz on relatively stock cooling, and still rock solid.

Yep my bro used that computer up until a couple weeks ago... I think the mobo died, and Socket A isn't very easy to find anymore (near impossible unless you want PCCHIPS :mad:), I had the 2500+ and it was a decent computer. I bought DDR-400 ram, but it only did up to 180 Mhz, lol. Not sure if it was the ram or the mobo, a7n8x Asus... the deluxe version was the one to get, but I didn't think I needed it. Oh well.

Yep my bro used that computer up until a couple weeks ago... I think the mobo died, and Socket A isn't very easy to find anymore (near impossible unless you want PCCHIPS :mad:), I had the 2500+ and it was a decent computer. I bought DDR-400 ram, but it only did up to 180 Mhz, lol. Not sure if it was the ram or the mobo, a7n8x Asus... the deluxe version was the one to get, but I didn't think I needed it. Oh well.

I got a 2600+ with an EPoX 8RDA3I (nForce 2 Ultra 400) running 190x11.5 @ 1.8v. It CAN do higher, but I need a better HSF. I love the fact that it's been OC'ed for 3 years, 24/7 (I also rarely turn my PC off), and has been run hard (encoding/gaming) while performing flawlessly. To tell you the truth, I'm more of an Intel supporter because I ran everything from the original Pentium to my current Core Duo and Core 2 Duo systems, but the Athlon XP remains my favorite CPU of all time. I'm even saddened that I had to go with Intel this time around.

Back