Disappointed in AC: Revelations

Sometimes I wish I were a billionaire so I could purchase these classic IPs and design them how they should be designed. I see too many great game series are driven into the ground by piss-poor design.

I'm looking at you Sonic.

Wait, we are talking about Assassin's Creed? OOH, I was thinking that a new Armored Core game was released that I didn't know about...

Haven't played it yet, what do you find wrong with it?

Game starts out ok, although throughout the game you aren't assassinating many people. Still much of the gameplay is fixed. You feel like the puzzles are actually exciting.

Still no truth or glyphs or any secrets like the past games had.

Then you leave Constantinople and the game just kinda takes a shit from there:

Last edited:
Use the spoiler tag please
]spoiler=[ blah blah blah ]/spoiler[

Flip the brackets around

I'm quite looking forward to this game, but i've got Skyrim keeping me busy for now. I'll wait until its $30 or less.

I'd like to know, what is your opinion of the other games compared to this one. I really got into 2 and 3, and put a good amount of time into them.

Game starts out ok, although throughout the game you aren't assassinating many people. Still much of the gameplay is fixed. You feel like the puzzles are actually exciting.

Still no truth or glyphs or any secrets like the past games had.

Then you leave Constantinople and the game just kinda takes a shit from there:

High light to see

SPOILERS:

The whole reason you played is because of Lucy being was killed in the last one, but that in no way was explained at all. Then Subject 16s big revelation from the Truth video in AC Brotherhood isn''t even mentioned. It was like it never happened.

Then the game doesn't reveal shit. You get more fucking riddles as to what happened. It is like "oh hey you found us, remember those temples we told you about in the 2nd one well you still haven't found those? You should find those"

The game is the biggest example of just milking the fucking story arc to reveal nothing. You get a big reveal and transition from the 1st game to the 2nd and a WTF ending in the second. Now you just get something that is like just a minor detail over 2 games. It is just getting boring waiting for something to happen.

More questions are asked instead of answered.

I'm quite looking forward to this game, but i've got Skyrim keeping me busy for now. I'll wait until its $30 or less.

I'd like to know, what is your opinion of the other games compared to this one. I really got into 2 and 3, and put a good amount of time into them.

1st one I thought was good. I enjoyed the difficultly and although it was only about 8-10 hours long I felt that it gave you that "oh shit" feeling when you killed someone. Even though you can counter your way out of everything my wrist was still more tired playing this than jerking off 3-4 times in one day.

Still I would have gave the first game a 7/10 merely for its short falls.

2nd one was amazing. The vast cities, the stories were incredible. Still the game was too easy. But none the less I would have gave the second one a 9/10

3rd one was merely a filler game. Although the brotherhood thing was neat it made parts far too easy and I felt like Rome wasn't nearly mapped in depth like Florance and Venice were in the 2nd one.
6/10

4th one is mainly a filler game. While some gameplay improvements are noted. Guards will shoot you if you attempt to mass counter and the difficulty is better you still are missing some of the secrets that made the game great. The portal levels and tower defense don't feel well integrated into a game like this and just when you get to some sort of progression in the story it shits all over that instead forcing you to keep accepting the bullshit that the story is just going to be dragged out. Not many revelations here.
5/10

I'll probably enjoy the game just because I enjoy this series but what I'm seeing expressed in this thread is basically voice to the concerns I've had about milking the cow too fast, too soon, and too many times and falling into a "Call of Duty" like rut which is the LAST thing I wanted to see happen for this series.

I'd rather wait an extra year in between AC installments to really get something that kicks ass across the boards. AC 2 was awesome. Brotherhood added a few wrinkles but IMO was kind of a half step down narrative wise and then we come to this.

Someone else said it right: I have gaming overload anyways between Uncharted 3, Skyrim on the PC, Saints Row 3, friggin' Batman Arkham City coming out the PC, ...I think I can see the easy odd man out here because I'm not surprised at all that the story and narrative would continue to make a decline.

I may just wait until I hit a lull after the holidays and pick this up when the price is down. This is the first time we've seen the PC version not get delayed out until March the following year anyways.

1st one I thought was good. I enjoyed the difficultly and although it was only about 8-10 hours long I felt that it gave you that "oh shit" feeling when you killed someone. Even though you can counter your way out of everything my wrist was still more tired playing this than jerking off 3-4 times in one day.

Still I would have gave the first game a 7/10 merely for its short falls.

2nd one was amazing. The vast cities, the stories were incredible. Still the game was too easy. But none the less I would have gave the second one a 9/10

3rd one was merely a filler game. Although the brotherhood thing was neat it made parts far too easy and I felt like Rome wasn't nearly mapped in depth like Florance and Venice were in the 2nd one.
6/10

4th one is mainly a filler game. While some gameplay improvements are noted. Guards will shoot you if you attempt to mass counter and the difficulty is better you still are missing some of the secrets that made the game great. The portal levels and tower defense don't feel well integrated into a game like this and just when you get to some sort of progression in the story it shits all over that instead forcing you to keep accepting the bullshit that the story is just going to be dragged out. Not many revelations here.
5/10

Well, I can agree with some of this. The first game I didn't think was very good. The concept was great, but the gameplay was a joke. It was just go here, do tedious tasks to get information, kill someone, repeat 8 times. The second game was absolutely the best though. They took their good idea and added a story worth being a part of. I put over 40 hours into the game, and loved every minute of it. The third I thought was the best in design, but it was a bit lacking in gameplay. I liked that you stayed in Rome, I liked doing the side quests for the factions, and I really liked being able to call in other Assassins. I just wish there was more of it. The story was way to short. I finished the game in about 15 hours. It had the potential to be the best, and in a lot of ways it was, but it should have had twice as much story.

Sounds like this one is going to be more of the same... improved gameplay mechanics, but not a whole lot of content.

I'm a little torn about this one. I love the AC games, but I think they've milked Ezio's plotline much more than they should've.
Brotherhood and Revelations are more like large expansions instead of true sequels. Combining them probably would've made us all very happy, although I'm sure Ubisoft is just looking for a yearly cash cow.
While I totally dig the gameplay and the style of the games, it was time to finally make another "real" sequel like AC2.

Well, I can agree with some of this. The first game I didn't think was very good. The concept was great, but the gameplay was a joke. It was just go here, do tedious tasks to get information, kill someone, repeat 8 times. The second game was absolutely the best though. They took their good idea and added a story worth being a part of. I put over 40 hours into the game, and loved every minute of it. The third I thought was the best in design, but it was a bit lacking in gameplay. I liked that you stayed in Rome, I liked doing the side quests for the factions, and I really liked being able to call in other Assassins. I just wish there was more of it. The story was way to short. I finished the game in about 15 hours. It had the potential to be the best, and in a lot of ways it was, but it should have had twice as much story.

Sounds like this one is going to be more of the same... improved gameplay mechanics, but not a whole lot of content.

Yea, but the first one I thought was way harder than the 2nd one.

We do agree on the 2nd being the best, but think about the design of the 3rd. St Peter's Basilica was briefly in one mission and the Colosseum was ok. If you look at the design of the cities in the 2nd game with multiple locations all mapped out I talked to a number of people that wanted to visit Italy after playing through the 2nd one.

You haven't got that feeling since and that all has to do with the fact that the design is lacking due to development time.

This one just ends. Builds progression and just ends. I explained in my spoiler text.

I'm a little torn about this one. I love the AC games, but I think they've milked Ezio's plotline much more than they should've.
Brotherhood and Revelations are more like large expansions instead of true sequels. Combining them probably would've made us all very happy, although I'm sure Ubisoft is just looking for a yearly cash cow.
While I totally dig the gameplay and the style of the games, it was time to finally make another "real" sequel like AC2.

If you are disappointed with anything in the 3rd prepare to be pissed about the 4th. I feel like this was a huge fuck you to fans. Without giving things away a tag line for this game should be:

"You know we might give you a few revelations that in no way deal with the main story arc, but we going to leave you with more questions than answers"

Since I've only just
left Constantinople and did the first mission in the cave place
I don't have a lot of disappointments but there are definitely some there.

I am starting to dislike
Desmonds story. Being forced to find these hidden gems in order to progress that horrible source code story in the animus safe-boot program or whatever is about the most ridiculous part of the game. I only ever pick those fragments up if I happen to see them but to go out of my way to find 100 of them is stupid and not going to happen

The combat moves and combo kills are pretty epic and I have enjoyed massacring guards with ease.

There is a lot of the old same gameplay from the second and third games. Capturing templar held dens, recruiting assassins and sending them on missions, etc.

Renovating shops causing your notoriety to increase is frustrating. It is so tedius to renovate a shop, find a guy to bribe or guy to kill gets extremely old.

After the first den defense "game" I was tired of it. I can't stand when the game steals my camera to show me a rooftop guy getting killed keeping me from playing while the game still runs while you listen to your barricades getting demolished. It is faster to let the templars take the den and then just recapture it after you fail the game. Coward templars. Really? 100s of templars and they find the most chickenshit ones to man the dens?

The hook blade. Its neat. Doesn't seem to help with climbing faster. Its about the same effect as getting the epic-jump from AC2 in my opinion.

Okay I think thats about all I had against the game.

Other then that, game looks the same, runs the same, does the same thing, adds a few things, detracts from a few things, forces you to do a few things, adds random junk to waste your time to increase gameplay time.

I've told a few friends just to wait till I'm done playing and then I'll let them borrow it to save them the money...

Quick Edit: The game basically crashed on me three different times. Dunno why. Had to completely shut down my 360 in order to fix it. Each time it was during one of the mini games where it would steal my camera and slow down time and then never go back. Looped sound effects followed by a shut down of the console... Either my 360 is showing its age (original white box lol) or it was a repeated fluke. First game on a console I've ever had crash like that though...

Last edited:
You only need 30 to do Desmond's story. The rest is just for the achievement.

There is no secrets or glyphs or anything. There is a secret tomb under Hagia Sophia but it is just for the best armor in the game, which is not needed.

If you just left Constantinople and you were somewhat disappointed the flood gates for pure shit should be coming through soon.

This is disheartening. =/ The main reason I want to play this is to see the plot points laid out in brotherhood come to an end.

Okay so I got home from work and played through the ending after leaving Constantinople for the first time. Took about two hours to finish it up not doing any of the random crap, just following the pointers.

I was upset that it became predictable IE climbing the tower and it not being Sophia. Soon as I seen she was up there I knew it wasn't going to be her.

Then it was just a run here, run there, run here, run there game.

Sometimes, I think it'd almost be better if they just let you skip all the running around and just let it play out in one huge cutscene.

I don't have any intentions of finishing up the rest of the "find everything" stuff. Not worth it. I think the ending of Brotherhood was a hell of a lot more interesting then this one.

AC2 was by far the best game of the series. The first viewpoint you climb on and the way it opens up the game still gives me chills.

Soundtrack didn't feel as epic in Revelations as it did in AC2 & AC:Brotherhood

Hopefully next year they start linking up these games and bring it all together.

Kind of bummed to hear this. I loved AC2 and just decided to pick this one up for the 360. Read some reviews on Amazon which were primarily good so I decided to give it a shot. Hopefully I don't end up as disappointed as some of you. The intro got me all excited too. Haha.

Wait, we are talking about Assassin's Creed? OOH, I was thinking that a new Armored Core game was released that I didn't know about...

I'm with you. I still see "AC" as Armoured Core...just like I and a few others here still see "MW2" and "MW3" and MechWarrior 2 and MechWarrior 3.

How is there not a thread for Assassins Creed though. I was like the first one a week later :)

Still that being said it looks like people have realized the same thing that the game goes to shit in the last 2 hours.

Okay so I got home from work and played through the ending after leaving Constantinople for the first time. Took about two hours to finish it up not doing any of the random crap, just following the pointers.

I was upset that it became predictable IE climbing the tower and it not being Sophia. Soon as I seen she was up there I knew it wasn't going to be her.

Then it was just a run here, run there, run here, run there game.

Sometimes, I think it'd almost be better if they just let you skip all the running around and just let it play out in one huge cutscene.

I don't have any intentions of finishing up the rest of the "find everything" stuff. Not worth it. I think the ending of Brotherhood was a hell of a lot more interesting then this one.

AC2 was by far the best game of the series. The first viewpoint you climb on and the way it opens up the game still gives me chills.

Soundtrack didn't feel as epic in Revelations as it did in AC2 & AC:Brotherhood

Hopefully next year they start linking up these games and bring it all together.

AC2 had a good soundtrack. This one isn't bad, but yea it isn't as good as AC2.

They won't link these games together ever. This game is the biggest fucking cash grab in the history of the universe.

This is the first one in the series I didn't buy and only spent 8.00 dollars from the redbox to beat it in 4 nights.

A guy at work went and bought the game before I could stop him. He said so far he hasn't done anything because he is trying to get some of the icons off his map. They put so much filler content into the game its almost too much. By the time I left Constantinople the first time I couldn't do anything because I had to micromanage the hell out of all the Assassins and Templars taking over the dens and try to find a book and level up assassins, rinse and repeat.

I lent my game to another coworker and told him just to run through the storyline over the holidays.

I bet there are only a few hours of actual storyline and the rest of the time is just spent dicking around trying to get icons off the map and micromanaging.

Have I ever expressed how much I hate the den defense game?

The soundtrack in this game was pretty much nonexistent to me. I did not hear it. If I did I can't remember what they sound like. But Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood it was just so... awesome!

I was a little surprised too not seeing any threads about this game for so long. Glad to know I wasn't the only one in the world playing this game it seems.

this thread is surprising I friggin loved brotherhood. Still looking forward to trying this one out though when i get the time.

AC is AC... take the bad with the good, you know what you are getting. Personally, I like it. More of the same it seems in revelations... good news to my ears, because that's what I wanted. Granted, I pick them up used for around the $20 mark a few months down the line. Finished Brotherhood a few weeks back, I really liked it. I read about 6 reviews of Revelations.... bottom line I got is more of the same with a few tweaks, bombs, and the den.... just enough to add a few differences, but otherwise more of the same. I'm good with that. I thought the same damn thing with Uncharted 3. Something that is already good does not have to constantly f-ing be re-invented.

AC is AC... take the bad with the good, you know what you are getting. Personally, I like it. More of the same it seems in revelations... good news to my ears, because that's what I wanted. Granted, I pick them up used for around the $20 mark a few months down the line. Finished Brotherhood a few weeks back, I really liked it. I read about 6 reviews of Revelations.... bottom line I got is more of the same with a few tweaks, bombs, and the den.... just enough to add a few differences, but otherwise more of the same. I'm good with that. I thought the same damn thing with Uncharted 3. Something that is already good does not have to constantly f-ing be re-invented.

I love AC games and I disagree you don't know what you are getting. You figure you might get some answers about the events of the last game, but nope. Game is a pitiful cash grab. You might want to play it.

The bombs are worthless and the den missions are just annoying.

So this game has a story as thin as Brotherhood's? If so, that's rather disappointing.

I bought Brotherhood on the strength of how good AC2 was, and the gameplay in Brotherhood was superb, but the story was just mediocre and never really advanced the plot.

I feel like if what you're saying is correct, then they should have just put whatever content is in AC: R into AC: B and that would have been a good game right there.

I loved every single game in the series. For me Brotherhood was best in terms of gameplay and I loved it so much I finished it on X360, PS3 and am almost 30% done on PC. Revelations is pre-ordered on PC and am looking forward to it. From what I have seen it sounds great. I couldn't care less about tower defense since you will always have enough money to counter attack the attackers. It is an annoyance but I don't think it will be game breaking.

Again all hypothesis unless Ubi shits on us PC gamers. Really looking forward to this game.

I would like to point out that I own all of the Assassins Creeds series. Chances are I'll pick up the next one next year too. I love this series and have put many hours into the four of them.

This game though was just frustrating because I was ready to see things progress, move forward, get more interesting and intense then the last ones but it just flopped.

There were plenty of things in this game that were extremely fun for me to play and see certain events unfold but in the end, its just not what I expected out of the game. Like a new COD game, same gameplay just new maps. $60 for DLC lol

Tip for tower defense, just let the templars take it over and then kill the templar coward and you save yourself an incredible amount of time. To me, that minigame is not worth it after the first "tutorial" mission. The siege weapons at the end of all the waves are seemingly impenetrable and just own your barricades... Not to mention the game stealing your camera so you can watch an assassin or templar die and everything is still running in the background. A few seconds of not doing anything can mean a lot. It was one of my pet peeves in Fallout NV as well using VATS and watching the guy die in slow mo as everything else was bearing down on you.

But I enjoyed playing Revelations. Despite its flaws. The puzzles to find the keys, with the exception of one or two, were really intense and enjoyable to play through. Plenty of filler content to make you pull your hair out trying to micromanage it all.

Revelations has not been getting great reviews (compared to Brotherhood anyway)...seems like a decent game but not the best in the series...I wish they would stop with the yearly release cycle as it will water down the quality

I would like to point out that I own all of the Assassins Creeds series. Chances are I'll pick up the next one next year too. I love this series and have put many hours into the four of them.

This game though was just frustrating because I was ready to see things progress, move forward, get more interesting and intense then the last ones but it just flopped.

There were plenty of things in this game that were extremely fun for me to play and see certain events unfold but in the end, its just not what I expected out of the game. Like a new COD game, same gameplay just new maps. $60 for DLC lol

Tip for tower defense, just let the templars take it over and then kill the templar coward and you save yourself an incredible amount of time. To me, that minigame is not worth it after the first "tutorial" mission. The siege weapons at the end of all the waves are seemingly impenetrable and just own your barricades... Not to mention the game stealing your camera so you can watch an assassin or templar die and everything is still running in the background. A few seconds of not doing anything can mean a lot. It was one of my pet peeves in Fallout NV as well using VATS and watching the guy die in slow mo as everything else was bearing down on you.

But I enjoyed playing Revelations. Despite its flaws. The puzzles to find the keys, with the exception of one or two, were really intense and enjoyable to play through. Plenty of filler content to make you pull your hair out trying to micromanage it all.

Yep I agree, the puzzle sections are really fun. Instead of jumping from point A to B it seems to mix it up and the playing these sections are actually fun compared to the last few games where you were like "fuck another tomb"

The game is enjoyable to play through and Constantinople doesn't seem like a bad place, then you leave and the game pretty much falls on its face afterwards as it just quickly tries to wrap up with game with a shitty ending.

I am all for cliffhanger endings, but give me a reason to play the next game. This game does not. Brotherhood at least killed off Lucy to the point where you were like "what the fuck I got to play the next game"

I loved every single game in the series. For me Brotherhood was best in terms of gameplay and I loved it so much I finished it on X360, PS3 and am almost 30% done on PC. Revelations is pre-ordered on PC and am looking forward to it. From what I have seen it sounds great. I couldn't care less about tower defense since you will always have enough money to counter attack the attackers. It is an annoyance but I don't think it will be game breaking.

Again all hypothesis unless Ubi shits on us PC gamers. Really looking forward to this game.

The tower defense is game breaking. If you do not control the the points you can go to shops or anything. The good news is you really won't have the templars that take away the all points till you have all the equipment you need anyways. Also just keep going to Heralds to bribe them.

roaf85, you ever gotten frustrated by some of the kill animations? Half the time I ever gotten hit was because some of those animations seem so long and you can't do anything about it. One in particular that comes to mind is a guard sliding off the sword grasping for the blade. Takes forever to get through that animation. One on one it'd be awesome. But with a few people around, you almost want to get hit so you can finally kill everyone lol. The other half was from the guys in the bunkers shooting at you that you can't kill.

Pet peeves let me tell ya.

Tower defense is still the worst part of the game, in my opinion, even with the poor ending.

Started playing this. Amazing game. Just finished sequence 1. Performance is top notch. Graphics are improved and overall a fine game. Loving it.

So far I'm pretty happy with it but I'm an unabashed fan of the series. It didn't hurt that Amazon PC download was $42 on preorder and I had $10 credit from another Amazon order so I paid $32 in total for the game. :)

I wonder why you guys say AC2 was so good when the DRM on it was horrendous? AC1 was a total borefest and never got around to finishing it due to extremely repetitive gameplay. Never bothered to finish the series... judging from comments here it seems like it's not worth my time due to weak ending I suppose?

Revelations has not been getting great reviews (compared to Brotherhood anyway)...seems like a decent game but not the best in the series...I wish they would stop with the yearly release cycle as it will water down the quality

Hopefully Ubisoft steps back and takes things in perspective. AC simpy cannot survive on yearly iterations like CoD can. It's due to it's nature as a singleplayer narrative driven game, compared to the mindless MP of CoD.

<3 the multiplayer, its unique.

COD is a dead IP. They have killed it.

Back