Disadvantages of Vista, by Synaps3

What's that they say about opinions...? :p

It's amazing to read something like that since there are already several books out on Vista, and even training on Vista from MS. The wiki seems to be written by someone with little to no hands on experience with Vista. It's not the middle of 2005 anymore.

It contains almost no information and is just a rehash of the same old Vista bashing. Not much of an article.

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor. Who doesn't have this right now? How long has 1GHz been around?
* 1 GB of system memory. Practically a standard amount these days
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel. Probably the only bottleneck...but Vista will still run so I don't see how this is some disadvantage.
* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space. If you ONLY have a 40GB HD you need to get with the times. That is way too little space for anything. Most computers come with more than that anyway
* DVD-ROM Drive. Again...who doesn't have one these days
* Audio output capability. Samething
* Internet access capability. Uh...

This article was posted on some Overclocking wiki and he is worried about the above minimum requirements for Aero? Why did I read this.... lol

and I have run Vista RC1 on my laptop that only has a 20gb HDD....

ah...the laptops...thats where this article could be directed to. but it was directed towards the overclockers it seems. least based on the site. i would stick with xp then lol

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor. Who doesn't have this right now? How long has 1GHz been around?
* Support for DirectX 9 graphics with a WDDM driver, 128 MB of graphics memory (minimum), Pixel Shader 2.0 and 32 bits per pixel. Probably the only bottleneck...but Vista will still run so I don't see how this is some disadvantage.
* 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space. If you ONLY have a 40GB HD you need to get with the times. That is way too little space for anything. Most computers come with more than that anyway

This article was posted on some Overclocking wiki and he is worried about the above minimum requirements for Aero? Why did I read this.... lol
*Agreed many machines are now 1ghz and above.
*1GB of ram in a system is still rare. Even new machines built by Dell, Gateway Ect... That is more than a year old will only have 512mb in them standard.
*40GB HDD - Any non poweruser is likely to use no more than 10GB. However your correct again that any HDD thats not dieing anyhow is most likely well above that.
*DVD-ROM - Again very rare to standard users. Even brand new pc's dont come standard with these... (Blood sucking OEM's not like it really costs them $30 to standardize them)

Working with home customers and bussiness customers for the past 6 years (My own consulting firm) Vista is still a large upgrade in hardware. Anything that is more than a couple years old will be lucky to have 256mb, and i still see many with 128. Only us gamers have the 1GB standard.

*1GB of ram in a system is still rare. Even new machines built by Dell, Gateway Ect... That is more than a year old will only have 512mb in them standard.
*40GB HDD - Any non poweruser is likely to use no more than 10GB. However your correct again that any HDD thats not dieing anyhow is most likely well above that.
*DVD-ROM - Again very rare to standard users. Even brand new pc's dont come standard with these... (Blood sucking OEM's not like it really costs them $30 to standardize them)

Working with home customers and bussiness customers for the past 6 years (My own consulting firm) Vista is still a large upgrade in hardware. Anything that is more than a couple years old will be lucky to have 256mb, and i still see many with 128. Only us gamers have the 1GB standard.

As far as the DVD ROM i'm standing in an office seting up a SBS 2k3 Server and not 1 of these machines have DVD Readers. All these machines were purchased just less than a year ago.

See thats the thing. My gripe wasn't with the facts. Its the fact it was posted on Overclockingwiki.org....

For many, these specifications will not be difficult to obtain. Nonetheless, it is a large inconvenience for low-end users who may be using onboard video or a low amount of RAM, because they will be forced to upgrade.

Does anyone think the low-end users are going to be reading that? Maybe they'll come across it in a Google search. I'm just saying since its regarding enthusists (sp?) its not a real disadvantage. If he wanted to say something different that WE didn't already know then thats fine but as with the other posters...he really didn't bring much i didn't already know.

I dont get the DRM feature protection, if exemple i have some music, video in my other hard drive, will it read them ?

I dont get the DRM feature protection, if exemple i have some music, video in my other hard drive, will it read them ?
Yes. All you need is the appropriate codec installed if it's not already included with Vista.

The whole thing with "OMG DRM" is that the greedy movie companies have very strict rules on newer DRM (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs) playing back on stand alone devices or computers. Any OS that wants to play back the protected discs will have the same limitations (or they can not play back the discs at all). Besides HD movies, DRM is pretty much the same as on XP and other OSs: it's mostly optional when you create your own files, with less choice when the media is purchased (e.g. there are protected and unprotected WMA files, protected and unprotected AAC files, protected and unprotected WMV files, CSS still exists on DVDs, no protection on MP3, no protection on Ogg, etc).

AACS hasn't really been cracked yet, but it *is* possible to back up discs and play back the video with known keys. If DRM offends you, just don't use those anti-consumer formats and it *doesn't affect you*.

AACS hasn't really been cracked yet, but it *is* possible to back up discs and play back the video with known keys. If DRM offends you, just don't use those anti-consumer formats and it *doesn't affect you*.

I agree, which is exactly the reason Vista will never see any of my computers ever. It wont effect me, becouse it will never be used by me. Although your wording is a bit off. What you should have said is anti-consumer --products--...

Vista certainly is that.

How is giving the user the choice to play these formats anti-consumer? either they added the stuff the content makers wanted or they can't play the content, if you want to complain about DRM at least complain about the right people. People like you make me hate being a computer enthusiest, some of you are more clueless than the "sheeple" you so often make fun of.

I was going to read it but, since I avoid all things Digg or MySpace with a lot of passion, I won't. Sounds like another Vista bashing article from what I see quoted here in this thread so far.

The quote about a 40GB hard drive not being enough was priceless. I never buy anything over an 80GB myself, I simply have no need for more space.

I recently bought a Core 2 Duo laptop that had a 160GB 5400 rpm SATA drive in it; first thing I did was try to find someone that would swap it for an 80GB 7200 rpm version but never did, oh well. :p

I have an 18X Plextor burner in this machine. Believe me, if I acquire something worth keeping, it gets burned, and fast. But to flat out tell someone "Oh, 40GB is simply not enough, dude, get with the times" is more of the guy shoving his own personal ideas about machines onto other people.

It sounds like someone doesn't understand the concept of a wiki in the first place: to offer information that's factual and accurate, not overly biased with personal opinions - that's what a personal webpage is for.

If anybody has a direct link to the "wiki" page of this so-called work, post it so I can check it out, thanks.

I was going to read it but, since I avoid all things Digg or MySpace with a lot of passion, I won't. Sounds like another Vista bashing article from what I see quoted here in this thread so far.
You aren't missing anything. That article was not very informative. I'm not even sure if the article was pro- or anti-Vista. It seemed to be "well, this is bad, BUT it's also good." I mean I don't get it.

Also, they consider a processor over 800mhz to be "modern". That's like considering a car with seat belts to be modern.

I just grabbed an old Athlon 1 GHz box off Craig's List on Saturday. 768MB of PC133, 80GB ATA133 drive hooked up to the Promise Ultra100 controller and it's doing 48MB/s average reads with 84MB/s bursts, and - get this - a Voodoo 5 5500 for $75 with a 17" monitor.

Yeah, it's old, but I figured I'd throw Vista on it for shits and giggles. Aside from the obvious age of the video card and lack of any possible useful DX support because of the age also, Vista was quite a bit sluggish, even with the fast hard drive in it.

What I'll do next as a test is to gut out my Vista DVD using vLite and trim the fat, so to speak, and see if I can get Vista working nicely on this old box. Again, it's for shits and giggles primarily, but I do love having the Voodoo 5 5500 finally. True collector's item for the 3dfx afficianado, which I happen to be. Check out my wallpaper too:

3dfx... The King is dead... long live the King... :)

So, as far as old hardware and Vista, I think right now the really limiting factor - considering the age of the video card but I wouldn't be using Aero anyway - the PC133 is choking it like a dauchshund trying to throat a T-Rex thighbone. The RAM speed is hampered by the crappy PCI registers on this old Asus A7V anyway.

But then again, Microsoft never intended someone to run Vista on such an old machine, now did they? That's where the fun part comes in...

As far as the DVD ROM i'm standing in an office seting up a SBS 2k3 Server and not 1 of these machines have DVD Readers. All these machines were purchased just less than a year ago.

Wow, I have more than 10 gigs of music on my hard drive.

Anyway, are any of these users likely to want to upgrade to Vista on their current systems? Are they even likely to know what Vista is?

Our Walmart Black Friday laptop only has a 40GB drive in it. I just bought my dad a cheap Celeron Dell box w/19" LCD for $350 - and it only had 256MB of PC3200.

Seemed fine to me. It was about disadvantages and said so, not advantages, and focused on potential problems.

But to flat out tell someone "Oh, 40GB is simply not enough, dude, get with the times" is more of the guy shoving his own personal ideas about machines onto other people.

uh...no its not. for the avg enthusiast, which this article was DIRECTED at, 40gb is simply not enough. ask any gamer. cuz yes...when you build that huge powerful system i bet you gonna want some small ass hard drive to go with it. then as soon as its filled up from all the shit you THOUGHT could go on it, you'll prolly feel pretty dumb for not buying something larger in the first place. you may not have a need for something larger than 80 and thats you. but for the rest of us, because of the size games are getting either by themselves or with mods, maps, skins, etc...we need something more. NOT to mention we've got gigs and gigs of media to contend with.

I agree. The 1Ghz barrier was broken in 2000. People running a PC less than that aren't going to be looking at upgrading to Vista. At least not the home market.

These are really just for the Aeroglass UI. Home basic(or any Vista sans aero) will run with less RAM and Video. Still the DX9 requirement isn't too difficult to make. For nVidia owners it's any 5xxx series or newer. So if your video card is 3 years old or newer it probably won't be an issue at all. So, yeah, I don't see it as a disadvantage either.

Well, laptops may be an exception here. If you're talking desktops, then you are absolutely correct. 40GB is a nominal requirement.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a DVD drive. Then again, I don't think anyone that without a DVD drive would be thinking of upgrading anything. Ok, other than a completely new computer.

You mean those are common now? :p
Because the OP just wanted to build up site traffic using Digg.

Back