Disabling Metro apps as "default" in Metro on Win8?

ComputerBox34

[H]F Junkie
Is there a way to automatically disable all metro apps being used as the defaults for JPEGs, MP3s, etc in one swoop?

(Please don't turn this into a flame war or I will lock the thread)

I believe it would be under the same place in any windows. Choose default programs in the control panel. Or associate the programs manually through explorer,

I believe it would be under the same place in any windows. Choose default programs in the control panel. Or associate the programs manually through explorer,
That would take a ridiculous amount of time.

Looking for some way faster

Microsoft never encourages people to go backwards. Embrace Metro, make sweet love to it. Why would you go back to the way the things were before? Are you afraid of change? Are you a little terrified old person afraid of new and shiny thing?

That would take a ridiculous amount of time.

Looking for some way faster

Takes little time if you do it by program. Go to Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Default Programs then pick the programs that you want to be defaults and pick Select All to have that program handle the all the extensions that it works with. It of course takes more time if you do it extension by extension but that really isn't any different than it would be in Windows 7 if you have different programs that you want to be associated with different extensions anyway.

No he wants functionality in a picture viewer would be my guess.

Yea, I'm sure of it. I wouldn't mind it on a tablet (the old argument returns!), but these are not desktop applications. I've gone through and replaced the Metro apps with desktop apps on most of the default programs (PDF reader, pictures, music, mail...).

Yeah took me all of two minutes to cut Metro out of my Windows 8 setup.

Not difficult and makes windows 8 a smoother less jarring experience.

Yea, I'm sure of it. I wouldn't mind it on a tablet (the old argument returns!), but these are not desktop applications. I've gone through and replaced the Metro apps with desktop apps on most of the default programs (PDF reader, pictures, music, mail...).
Read your post and it came to me....just uninstall all of the useless (on a desktop or laptop) Metro apps.

Thank you for the inspiration :p

Press start, type 'default'. Press enter on default programs, exile all you don't want.

Yes but on the other hand most of them aren't very useful. Most are not much more use than the annoying Desktop Gadgets of Vista.

I don't disagree that the Metro crap apps are useless but why not just run an installer for a view that xnview and then open the program and say associate with picture files. Much easier then writing a powershell script for the nth amount of picture file types.

I don't disagree that the Metro crap apps are useless but why not just run an installer for a view that xnview and then open the program and say associate with picture files. Much easier then writing a powershell script for the nth amount of picture file types.

Sorry, misinterpretation there. :)

Aren't there registry entries we can modify to remove all the defaults which point to the Metro apps? Then when I open something I can pick the default.

Microsoft never encourages people to go backwards. Embrace Metro, make sweet love to it. Why would you go back to the way the things were before? Are you afraid of change? Are you a little terrified old person afraid of new and shiny thing?

haha, is this a joke? maybe because he is not insane and wants a somewhat functional os

The fastest and easiest way is to go into Metro and view all apps, then click and uninstall the Metro apps you don't want being defaulted to (like music player).

Back