Disable SpeedStep on P4 - faster or slower?

JP-NY

n00b
Have a very old Intel Pentium 4 3GZ (family F, Model 4, Stepping 3) - Dell Dimension 5100
Im trying to squeeze out as much "performance" as possible.

Will I get better performance with SpeedStep disabled in the BIOS or enabled? Im seeing conflicting answers online.
ie. will disabling it let it run at full speed all the time or does it not let it go to 11 (full speed)?

No harm in leaving it enabled, but you'd want to set your OS power profile to Max Performance.

Also disable c-states and p-states in the bios.

win xp pro 32
4gb (3.25 usable)
so having it turned is "faster' then disable?

Normally I'd say you wouldn't notice, but this is a processor from 2004 we're talking about! I've already tried to tempt you to buy a $150 refurbish system to replace it.

Disable SpeedStep for best performance. But it will double your power consumption, so make sure the room is well ventilated.

According to the Dell forums, you can slap a Pentium D 945 in that puppy.

Post saying that a Pentium D 945 works.
https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...-On-A-Dimension-5100-Motherboard/td-p/3565176

$7.99 shipped to the US should give you a nice speed bump for that old system.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pent...40-GHz-800-MHz-FSB/202301098332?epid=74083309

Here is a seller that has them for $3.78 shipped:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-D-945-3-4GHz-Dual-Core-HH80553PG0964MN-Processor/232744397338

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks! for a couple of bucks how can I not give it a try.
Are those 2 links the exact same processor?
I assume I can keep the same PS (305w), RAM and everything else and just slap some thermal grease on it and pop it in.

Those Pentium D's.... Were horrid. Depending on what you did the p4 might be a better choice.

Those Pentium D's.... Were horrid. Depending on what you did the p4 might be a better choice.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever read... Yes they were horrid, but a Pentium D is literally nothing more than a dual-core Pentium-4. What is your basis for saying that a Pentium-4 would be better in any way, shape, or form?

thanks! for a couple of bucks how can I not give it a try.
Are those 2 links the exact same processor?
I assume I can keep the same PS (305w), RAM and everything else and just slap some thermal grease on it and pop it in.

Yep, same exact processor.

Same PSU should work just fine.

You will want to make sure the BIOS is up to date. A03 is the newest according to the Dell web site.

just ordered one.
Im I correct in assuming that if it fits the worst that will happen is that it wont POST or boot, and I can put back the old CPU if needed (it wont harm the motherboard)

just ordered one.
Im I correct in assuming that if it fits the worst that will happen is that it wont POST or boot, and I can put back the old CPU if needed (it wont harm the motherboard)

Yeah, no POST is the worst that can happen.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about the Celeron D.. which is only a single core processor despite the "D" moniker?
This is exactly what I was remembering lol.

Glad you mentioned that. Rice can put away his fire suit now lol. C'mon guys it's only been 15 years.

So I installed the Pentium D yesterday and had no problem booting into Windows. The Pentium D is definitely significantly faster.
Windows did completely freeze once while running Performance Test . After a hard restart I was presented with a BIOS message "incompatible processor detected press F1 to continue"

Some searching suggests that is is a common problem with the 5100s. I could not find a solution. I am using the latest BIOS (A03).
I could probably live with the F1 to continue message, but others have suggested that the Pentium D can overtax the motherboard components, PS and cooling system since they weren't designed for this faster/hotter processor. They says that the heatsink should be copper and use heat pipes (mine is aluminum, no heat pipes).

What are your thoughts on this and any ideas on getting rid of the F1 message (already tried to clear BIOS / CMOS settings)

its a bios thing wait for the update.
This machine is ancient. It likely will not be getting any update.

OP- You could likely put a compatible cooler on it to help. And you have a cooler that has a copper core, and aluminum outer fins. I can't remember if those were used on the Pentium D, or later when the Core 2 Duos were released.

Considering Intel helped develop the BTX form factor during the P4 heyday, I'd try to get better cooling in there. Not just for the CPU, but for all the stuff around the socket as well. Getting the VRMs some cooling will go a long way for your system.

It should be pretty easy to get a better socket 775 heatsink, or a better fan if nothing else. I would stick with the Pentium D personally, especially if you are keeping the system with you in the future and not giving it to someone where you won't see it again for a long time (in case it ultimately keeps freezing). If it only freezes during the performance test, then it's still possible that it might not ever have any issues during real world usage.

Sad fact is that a single-core P4 is so slow in modern usage that it might as well be locking up, so you won't really be missing much in terms of usability.

Back