Disable Signed Driver Checking doesn't work

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I tried to install Ati tray tools, I got the "signed driver" error notice, so I reboot press F8 and select Disable Signed Driver Checking and try to install again. Same error

I tried bcdedit and still doesn't work

Using Vista64 business SP1

There is a hotfix you have to uninstall

Uninstall hotfix KB938979 and then you should be able to disable driver signing via the F8 method, or the BCEdit method...

F8 works fine at boot, the error message WILL still pop up, but it won't block it. Ignore the above post, you do not need to disable a hotfix.

Business x64 on the Q6600 in sig

F8 doesn't work. Its still blocked, and from what I've read there's no way to unblock it.

F8 doesn't work. Its still blocked, and from what I've read there's no way to unblock it.

F8 works fine. Unless they turned off the functionality in SP1, I'm not sure you're aware what the system is doing.. The system will pop up a warning saying that the driver won't be installed, but it actually will install it. eg: Vmware requires you to hit F8 at boot to install (and it will bitch, but work fine) and run subsequently.

F8 works fine. Unless they turned off the functionality in SP1, I'm not sure you're aware what the system is doing.. The system will pop up a warning saying that the driver won't be installed, but it actually will install it. eg: Vmware requires you to hit F8 at boot to install (and it will bitch, but work fine) and run subsequently.

I have heard that this functionality actually was to be removed in SP1.

VirtualBox is free, and works much better, in my opinion.

We have done a lot of virtualization testing at work, and I must agree, I prefer VirtualBox to VMWare. I even prefer VirtualPC to VMWare. My only complaint with VirtualBox is that is does not support drag and drop between the host and guest, but it has been very stable. But then again, I assume someone that has existing virtual machine images probably isn't interested in recreating them.

The lack of drag and drop just about made me switch back to VirtualPC 2007. Then I started mapping a drive to my data drive on the host PC, and it is working out great. I had to do some RTFM'ing to get it working, but it was actually very simple.

The lack of drag and drop just about made me switch back to VirtualPC 2007. Then I started mapping a drive to my data drive on the host PC, and it is working out great. I had to do some RTFM'ing to get it working, but it was actually very simple.

True, it is a reasonable workaround. Just wanted to make sure someone used to VMWare wasn't expecting drag and drop to work. So I'm assuming VMWare has unsigned drivers? No excuse for that, considering their resources. My testing was on XP32, so I wouldn't have caught it. Didn't Intel just make a $100,000,000 investment in VMWare? And they can't get the drivers signed?

Back