Disable IGP on msi z690-a ddr4?

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
Just bought a 12700k and msi-z690-a ddr4. I do not see anything about turning off the gpu in the cpu.

Is this not a thing on alder lake or just my board or am i missing the setting?

TIA

I have the same board and would like to know this as well.

Alternatively I went into the Device Manager in Windows and clicked on the "Display Adapters" It shows the Intel HD 770 & my RTX 2070, I right clicked on the HD 770 and selected "Disable".

Technically, Alder Lake markets the IGPU as always on, so that you can easily use Quicksync features, even with a dedicated GPU.

However, some boards do offer the option to disable the IGPU. If you can't find it, it seems yours doesn't have it.

Just bought a 12700k and msi-z690-a ddr4. I do not see anything about turning off the gpu in the cpu.

Is this not a thing on alder lake or just my board or am i missing the setting?

TIA
Actually, the function to disable the IGP with a discrete GPU installed is listed under a different name on this motherboard's BIOS. This setting is called "IGD Multi-Monitor." Set that to "Disabled" if you only want output from a discrete GPU - after you make sure that the "Initiate Graphics Adapter" is set to "PEG."

Updating my original post, I went into the device manager and disabled the Intel 770 iGPU, afterwards using GPUz my graphics card was reporting PCI-Express 3.0 x16 as it should. My guess is the iGPU was sharing lanes with the GPU.

Thanks E4g1e. That did it. Wish Bios would have explained it but I digress. lol

Also for anyone with sleep problems Make sure you enable the Wake by USB setting in the bios. Even after the new official 1.10 bios I could not wake from sleep until I enabled it and also did Wake by PCIe as well.

Is there no way to get the benefits of quick sync without hindering the dedicated gpu then? Is this a chipset limitation or bios limitation?

Back