Disable GPU Use

christpunchers

Limp Gawd
Hi there,

I recently bought a second hand GTX1080TI. Runs great for most of what I'm doing.

However it seems to be running at nearly full clock whenever I open programs like Windows Photo Viewer or Illustrator. I don't want or need these programs to use the GPU. Is there any way to disable the GPU for these programs and only use the GPU on programs I specify?

Why should it matter? Those apps are probably rendering on the GPU, which is what you want.

Yeah, I get that. I was just pointing out that many apps these days (non-games) do use the GPU for graphics acceleration and that is normal.

Illustrator and Photo Viewer probably both use hardware-accelerated rendering. Full clock is not the same thing as full power - even at maximum clocks and voltages, GPU's and CPU's will draw wildly varying amounts of power depending on what workload you give them.

Correct ^

You could see the clock speed ramp up but the actual usage would still be quite low. This can be checked with something like MSI Afterburners graphs if you put Clockspeed and GPU Usage near eachother.

You're overthinking this a little, OP.

Back