Disable 2nd GPU for Power Savings?

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
I'm going to be installing an 8800GTS in my sigged system to use for PhysX.

The problem, is that I'll be gaming on a PhysX title for less than 2 hours a week (average). The other... 168, the card will be sitting idle. The computer rarely goes on standby as it's a file server as well.

Is there any way, either in BIOS, windows, hardware to disable it? I can't remove it whenever I like, as it'll be water cooled. The card bitches when no PCIe 12v cable is plugged in.

If it's a no-go, I'll underclock of course... But the option to disable it completely would save me about 10$/mo (right now that's significant).

Which one of your signuature's systems? None of them have cards higher then a 8800gts to justify using one (extra?) for physx.

Also, how much memory does that 8800gts have?

The g80 core is older, more power hungry.
The g92 core is newer (still used into the gts250, lol) and less of a hog.

Blame nVidia for releasing two very different products with the same name

Some motherboards used to have hybridpower(? - not too sure on this), I always thought that was a laptop only thing. It ended up tanking, as the idle power load of the newer gen cards made it moot.

Yeah, that's embarassing. Apparently a VB reversion nullified my sig, and took it back to a much earlier version. It's got to have been at least a year since I had to update anything in it... Could have happened at any time.

It's the 4870 system. # 1

I still don't know what core your 8800gts has.

The ram amount will tell us.

Also, unless if you have a specific set of nvidia eqipment lining up perfectly...

there is no way to just disable the graphics card when you are not using it.

The GT200 series killed Hybridpower, because they has idle clocks, which lower power consumption.

The 8000/9000/gts250 all didn't have this function, and run at 100% all the time (well, they downclock about 50mhz...)

I know it's a 640mb G80 core. But that doesn't matter.

If there's no way to disable it without unplugging it - then this is a null point. It's not worth the increase in the power bill (yet).

I know it's a 640mb G80 core. But that doesn't matter.

If there's no way to disable it without unplugging it - then this is a null point. It's not worth the increase in the power bill (yet).

Well, you could use it to help the [H]orde fold.

Well, you could use it to help the [H]orde fold.

The potential benefit to mankind from folding does not offset the negative impact of increasing his carbon footprint from running another GPU 24/7. In fact, you could say that folders are killing the planet.

Back