Dirty Win10 install?

Nimisys

Fully [H]
Got a new Mobo and chip, went from SB to IB, windows did not like. Horrible OS stability, UEFI boot issues, freezing installers, hangs on reboot, etc. Finally got the UEFI issues squared away and it boots cleanly. Tried to do an upgrade install but it hangs at 81% prior to the first restart. I can task manager out of it. Booting off installation media I get an error about installation is occuring, and clean install is my only option.

Best way to remove the in progress install flag? Remove the media, it will boot directly into Windows without any installation screens, messages, etc. Only a single SSD is plugged in at the moment.

Really don't want to nuke this disk.

bump your ram voltage a bit, disable OCs and cross fingers. you might be able to roll back before the attempted upgrade too...

Got a new Mobo and chip, went from SB to IB, windows did not like. Horrible OS stability, UEFI boot issues, freezing installers, hangs on reboot, etc. Finally got the UEFI issues squared away and it boots cleanly. Tried to do an upgrade install but it hangs at 81% prior to the first restart. I can task manager out of it. Booting off installation media I get an error about installation is occuring, and clean install is my only option.

Best way to remove the in progress install flag? Remove the media, it will boot directly into Windows without any installation screens, messages, etc. Only a single SSD is plugged in at the moment.

Really don't want to nuke this disk.

Did you fully strip all the original motherboard drivers out of the OS prior to the hardware change?
I suspect that's the root cause of your issues...

Are you OCing? If so that should be reset to default then start over. There's no guarantee and OC will be stable on different OS or chipset combinations. And while 10 does do much better changing chipsets, I personally would never do it and prefer clean installation.

Did you fully strip all the original motherboard drivers out of the OS prior to the hardware change?
I suspect that's the root cause of your issues...
I suspect that's the issue as well, unfortunately when I pulled the old Mobo out, I did not expect to putting a different one back in.

Not OC'd at the moment.

Going to Swap out power supplies, only because that was another hardware change, before doing anything else.

then going to blow out as many drivers as possible and see what happens.

then will try the reset option in windows

finally i will nuke it from orbit

Back when Win10 was in beta I had a borked install. Certain things (modern apps included) weren't installed correctly and errored out upon opening them. Some drivers wouldn't install and couldn't find the correct hardware either. Eventually I used a restore image and reinstalled with no issues. When I looked around online at the time, it didn't sound like it was an overly unusual occurrence. Just about everyone who had it happen had to start over from scratch, too.

If you can open an admin cmd prompt run this without the quotes "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" press enter and then do devmgmt.msc. The device manager will open and go to view and show hidden devices. You can remove any old drivers that may be lingering on there that you aren't using anymore. Hope that helps...

Can also make sure that your OS files are good (and remove superceded files) with an admin command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded

Odd because, I went from an Intel Z170 and to an AMD 970 chipset, all on the same installation. No problems here whatsoever. Not criticizing your experience in what happened, I just find it odd that the issues would be so numerous going from Intel to Intel.

Finally got this thing going again. Per Kyle's suggestion i swapped the PSU out. wasn't getting anything voltage wise that would make me think it was an issue, but sure as hell it did the trick. cleared CMOS data, and booted back into windows. reran the windows 10 upgrade (Win10AE over Win10AE) and it powered right through. removing 40gbs of various windows installations, temp files and ESD files now.

Finally got this thing going again. Per Kyle's suggestion i swapped the PSU out. wasn't getting anything voltage wise that would make me think it was an issue, but sure as hell it did the trick. cleared CMOS data, and booted back into windows. reran the windows 10 upgrade (Win10AE over Win10AE) and it powered right through. removing 40gbs of various windows installations, temp files and ESD files now.

Great to hear! It did seem very odd that Windows 10 was having any issues with the upgrade you have done. Enjoy your upgrade. :)

Back