Dirt2 PC demo and Benched DX11

Just done another quick video of me trying to record the vids for you guys, this was my first attempt at the track and I binned it right near the start, watch out for the commentary at the end :)

youtube has enabled all the videos for HD now although I dont think it's using the full 1080p, is there any way to force that? I've seen 1-2 vids allow a 720p/1080p when you click the HD button but doesn't work here.

Ran the benchmark

AVG FPS: 54.0
MIN FPS: 46.2

1920x1200
4xMSAA + highest possible ingame settings

Specs in sig. Can't wait for the full version to be unlocked on Tuesday. It's a shame I can't preload it now so I don't have to wait on release day.

Performance numbers look good, I'm sure driver hax and game patches will further improve the numbers.

Hopefully it's nearly as fun as GRID

Just done another quick video of me trying to record the vids for you guys, this was my first attempt at the track and I binned it right near the start, watch out for the commentary at the end :)

youtube has enabled all the videos for HD now although I dont think it's using the full 1080p, is there any way to force that? I've seen 1-2 vids allow a 720p/1080p when you click the HD button but doesn't work here.

the 1080p's there.. it just takes about 20-30 minutes for it to add the 1080p option..

good video.. game looks sweet.. wonder if this game will be the one that officially kills my overclocked 8800GT so that i can friggin buy a 5870..

Rig in sig all settings maxed @ 1080p except Post Processing at medium (can't turn it any higher?)

4xAA
Average 58.9
Minimum 48.9

8xAA
Average 45.8
Minimum 28.2

It can run DX11 effects. :) Its only the DX11 hardware spesific it cannot run (Like tessallation and shader model 5/compute shader 5).

i thought Tesselation is already there in ATi cards since back in the days, i'm sure i read that somewhere... it's there just not utilised by developers.

Thanks for the upload, appreciate the effort. Yea, 1080p's working well and it looks very sweet! There's the button to select 720p/1080p; i think it takes awhile before it shows up, now it's there

i thought Tesselation is already there in ATi cards since back in the days, i'm sure i read that somewhere... it's there just not utilised by developers.

Pretty much every ati card since the 8500 had some sort of tessalation hardware in place. Its only now will we see the wide scale adoption.

Rig in sig, all settings maxed @ 1920x1200

4xAA
Average 64
Minimum 57

Looks great and runs nicely. I'm looking forward to the full game.

Default 5870 clocks:

4xAA
Average 58
Minimum 50

Last edited:
The Official DiRT 2 Demo Tomorrow (1st Dec)
Over the weekend a leaked early version of the DiRT 2 demo has appeared on the net on various download sites. I would advise people not to download this unsupported version of the demo as it is not the final version and will not give you the best experience of the game.

As I mentioned previously this is a work in progress version of the demo which was not intended for release.

Once again I would advise people not to download the leaked version of the Demo and hold out until tomorrow and experience DiRT 2 the way we wanted you to.

Dirt 2 steam release was showing as Dec 1st for me this morning, now shows Dec 4th?

What happened?

[L]imey;1034981637 said:
Dirt 2 steam release was showing as Dec 1st for me this morning, now shows Dec 4th?

What happened?

Good question. I was looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.

stock clocks on 5850
1920x1200 4x MSAA Ultra Preset
rest of specs in sig
it seems as if the options for the pedal sensitivity aren't really working yet, it's basically pretty much on/off
hope this is fixed by the release
dirt22009113019363607.jpg

Last edited:
Crossfire not working for me

Win 7 64bits
E7400 @3.6Ghz
2* Sapphire 5770
Catalyst 9.11 Hotfix

1920*1200 aa*2 preset high:

avg 40 min 32 in single card AND Crossfire :mad:

somethings not right with my install:

amd pII x3 720 @ 3ghz
ati 4870
4gb ram

and it's doing about 5fps - very choppy when the demo loads the opening "loading" screen (just shows the magazine) - and then it loads and you're in the trailer and it is extremely slow/choppy.

tf?

OFFS!!!

If you have the leaked version, just use it. This one, "officially" crashes every time I run it. ;)

*Re-post*

Official demo is out.

http://www.codemasters.com/downloads/details.php?id=39424&territory=EnglishUSA

My original mess. said:
*deleted*

SOB, just can't seem to get it right lately. :confused:

P.S.

It says the demo is out and downloading (1.3GB) but when it's downloaded, it's just a (66.7 MB) game play wmv???

Second attempt was successful. Really not sure what happened. (How does a downloading 1.3GB file turn into a 66MB file in the end????? I know it said it was downloading the demo originally. Strange. *shrug*

Last edited:
Here are my results with Eyefinity on a HD5970 o/c'ed 950/1200

Settings:
5760x1200
2x MSAA
Night Lighting- High
Shadows- High
Particles- High
Mirrors- Ultra
Crowd- Ultra
Ground Cover- High
Drivers- Ultra
Distant Vehicles- Ultra
Objects- Ultra
Trees- Ultra
Vehicle Reflections- Ultra
Water- Ultra
Post Process- Medium
Skid Marks- On
Ambient Occlusion- High
Cloth- High

Crossfire Eyefinity disabled (Catalyst A.I. Disabled)
5970EF.jpg

Crossfire Eyefinity Enabled
5970CFEF.jpg

At least one of my games or demo is Crossfire enabled. Sure the framerate looks low compared to 1 monitor, but either way it was smooth as butter. I'm confident that driver updates will only help bring up framerates.

The official demo did squat for me in performance compared to the leaked demo. Waste of another 1.3 gigs.

Same settings as above in crossfire enabled eyefinity

28.0 avg
24.7 min

Not impressed for frame rate, but was still above the 24 FPS min.

Same, now that I finally managed to get through a whole benchmark. (I rebooted and it worked, so I guess it was my system. *sheepish grin*)

Looks like Dirt 2 got pushed back to the 4th /sigh

Anyone have any ideas why Dirt 1 will crash in Win7 x64 every time I try to start a race or why GRID seems to be unstable as well?

There's definitely something up with the 5970, dirt 2 and the drivers.. my single 5870 at stock gets a better score than your 5970 in crossfire and at higher settings.

I've got AA at 2x, running at 5760x1080 and everything at high or ultra.. including post process.

I get 29.8 fps min and 36 fps avg.

The official demo did squat for me in performance compared to the leaked demo. Waste of another 1.3 gigs.

Same settings as above in crossfire enabled eyefinity

28.0 avg
24.7 min

Not impressed for frame rate, but was still above the 24 FPS min.

Ontariotl,

I found this post over at the official dirt 2 forums.. apparently the hotfix drivers are meant to enable CrossfireX for Dirt 2

dirt 2 forums mod post said:
Problem Description:

ATI CrossFireX™ is not being utilized when playing Dirt 2.

Solution:

AMD has developed a Hotfix to resolve this issue. This Hotfix applies only to PCI-Express graphic card in the Radeon™ HD-series.

ATI Catalyst™ Driver Hotfix for Windows 7 / Windows Vista
That would explain your numbers, I think. Try the hotfix driver and see if those framerates jump :)

Looks like Dirt 2 got pushed back to the 4th /sigh

Anyone have any ideas why Dirt 1 will crash in Win7 x64 every time I try to start a race or why GRID seems to be unstable as well?

Have you tried decreasing your OC on the CPU? "every other game works fine" isn't conconslusive enough evidence for stability if you were going to reply with that. ;)

I'm sure CrossfireX is specifically 2 dual core cards in a quad configuration, regular crossfire on one board is just called Crossfire?

If so CrossfireX support for Grid2 wont give you a benefit with just a single 5970.

If you're using eyefinity it's only accelerated by one 5970 anyway, you can't use CrossfireX (quadfire) to power eyefinity at the moment, 2 of the cores are just disabled.

don't know.. that's a good question..

However, there's no reason that a 5970 should have lower performance than my single 5870.

Have you tried decreasing your OC on the CPU? "every other game works fine" isn't conconslusive enough evidence for stability if you were going to reply with that. ;)

No, there is currently no OC on my chip for specifically why you stated. But yes, every other game does work fine. Dirt runs great in the menu system, and as soon as a race begins to load the EXE crashes. GRID seems to be running fine most of the time, but it was somewhat unstable, and any alt-tab action really kills it.

I couldn't get the demo to switch to 3360x1050 last night. Screen went black, waited the 15seconds, then went back to 1680. I thought this game was going to have native widescreen eyefinity support.

Anyone who got it to run multi screen have to do anything specific?

No, there is currently no OC on my chip for specifically why you stated. But yes, every other game does work fine. Dirt runs great in the menu system, and as soon as a race begins to load the EXE crashes. GRID seems to be running fine most of the time, but it was somewhat unstable, and any alt-tab action really kills it.

Hmm, not sure. Both games run fine on my box with a 5870 but I'm still running Vista x64 on it. I'm currently downloading the demo on a Windows 7 x64 so I'llsee how that goes this but it's just running a 3870.

[L]imey;1034986031 said:
I couldn't get the demo to switch to 3360x1050 last night. Screen went black, waited the 15seconds, then went back to 1680. I thought this game was going to have native widescreen eyefinity support.

Anyone who got it to run multi screen have to do anything specific?

Works fine for me at 5760x1080 on my 3 displays.

Maybe it just doesn't like that resolution? I'd post about it on the Dirt 2 Tech support forums and see if anyone has a solution.

Crossfire not working for me

Win 7 64bits
E7400 @3.6Ghz
2* Sapphire 5770
Catalyst 9.11 Hotfix

1920*1200 aa*2 preset high:

avg 40 min 32 in single card AND Crossfire :mad:

Any ideas for my problem ?

Back