DiRT 5

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Dirt 5 will come to PS4, Xbox One, and PC on October 9th...the date was revealed alongside a new trailer detailing the game's story mode, which stars Troy Baker and Nolan North as racing nemeses...

Not bad, but overall it looks like another Dirt 2... Loved 2, 3 was eh and since then had no interest.

Anyone been playing this on PC Game Pass? Graphics are good and I actually really like the soundtrack. Gameplay-wise, it's about as arcade'y as they get, though. It reminds me of those Need For Speed games where you're better off bouncing off of walls than actually taking corners. I haven't played all the Dirt games, but I remember them being rally-based with a co-pilot giving you directions and such. There's none of that here. It's mindless fun, but this is more like a sequel to the early 00's NFS games than anything else. Good mindless fun, though.

Anyone been playing this on PC Game Pass? Graphics are good and I actually really like the soundtrack. Gameplay-wise, it's about as arcade'y as they get, though. It reminds me of those Need For Speed games where you're better off bouncing off of walls than actually taking corners. I haven't played all the Dirt games, but I remember them being rally-based with a co-pilot giving you directions and such. There's none of that here. It's mindless fun, but this is more like a sequel to the early 00's NFS games than anything else. Good mindless fun, though.
They have split Dirt into two brands, now. Dirt Rally is now the more realistic Rally experience. Dirt itself, is now shifted to a more accessible, arcadey style. With multiple vehicle types.

I think its kind of a bummer, because the other vehicle types are usually less enjoyable anyways (as far back as Dirt 2). And it would be nice to just have all the money going into one focused, polished product. And I otherwise don't think we have to have completely separate games for true rally and some of the fun exibitional stuff like Gymkhana, gate crashing, etc. That stuff is more fun to me, when I'm doing it with more realistic physics.

I haven't had a break from work to play it, but they apparently added Ray Tracing to the game today. The GamePass version got the update immediately, too. I was pulling a ton of FPS with the prior version, so maybe it'll be relatively playable?

On an unrelated note, the Sprint races in this game are ungodly hard. I can basically clobber the AI with whatever cars they give you by default on every race. But I'm absolutely struggling with the Sprint races. I've gotten the controls down, but the other cars are at top speed for all 5 laps and they're forcing me to pass them all from the back. The best I've done is 4th place and that took like 50 tries.

I think the only thing raytraced in this are the highest shadows setting and some minor Global Illumination. So it should be pretty doable on any Nvidia card. And since AMD cards have exceptionally good performance in this game, I would expect all of them to be playable with good settings/res within reason, as well.

I can't tell any visual difference with them enabled, but I'm not feeling the rest of the update. It takes forever to start and the HDR colors are kinda wonky now. Like some of the game's blacks became gray. There are true black items in the game, and adjusting the brightness/contrast doesn't seem to affect this. Also had the game soft freeze on me after I won a race. The music kept playing and you could see the wind blowing and my driver's head moving...but I couldn't do anything to get out of that screen.

Last edited:
I can't tell any visual difference with them enabled, but I'm not feeling the rest of the update. It takes forever to start and the HDR colors are kinda wonky now. Like some of the game's blacks became gray. There are true black items in the game, and adjusting the brightness/contrast doesn't seem to affect this. Also had the game soft freeze on me after I won a race. The music kept playing and you could see the wind blowing and my driver's head moving...but I couldn't do anything to get out of that screen.
Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing the whole game

According to the patch notes they only added ray traced shadows. Whoopdedoo.

Also, there was a hotfix released yesterday that addresses softlocks on the Steam version. The Microsoft Store/PC Game Pass version wasn't mentioned, though. Since "Xbox" represents everything gaming for Microsoft, now, I am going to assume the note at the top for 4.01 applies to the Microsoft Store/PC Game Pass version in addition to the console versions.

https://dirtgame.com/dirt5/news/dirt-5-patch-notes

According to the patch notes they only added ray traced shadows. Whoopdedoo.

Also, there was a hotfix released yesterday that addresses softlocks on the Steam version. The Microsoft Store/PC Game Pass version wasn't mentioned, though. Since "Xbox" represents everything gaming for Microsoft, now, I am going to assume the note at the top for 4.01 applies to the Microsoft Store/PC Game Pass version in addition to the console versions.

https://dirtgame.com/dirt5/news/dirt-5-patch-notes
Yes I remember now, the Global Illumination is voxel cone/voxel shader based. And has probably always been there. The only thing raytraced are the highest shadows settings.

Reinstalled the game and it still looks wonky after the last patch. They did something with the color scheme. There are lots of ways to adjust the brightness and saturation, but I can't seem to get it 100% back where it was. It's not horrible, just different. Lots of blacks became gray and certain brighter colors became more dull...but oddly not all of them. There are still some black blacks and bright colors. Got a random crash in one of the menus, too. That's the odd thing about this game. I've only had freezes and crashes via the menus and after-race stuff.

On the plus side, they totally re-did the AI for the Sprint races. I went back and absolutely crushed both of those races on the first try. Before it was a struggle not to finish absolutely last. The patch notes list a control change to Sprint, but it was definitely more than that. The AI was way, way too good before. Now those races are on par with the others.

Back