Dirt 4 Real Gameplay Video Card Performance Review @ [H]

Odd, the performance delta on Pascal between 2x MSAA and 4x MSAA is similar to 2x MSAA and 4x MFAA that I have experienced in other titles. I hope NVIDIA isn't doing something funny in the drivers.

I really enjoy these type of reviews and is please to see 1070 runs well in 1440p.

Kyle, it has become very relevant for the first time in many many years to know the performance differences between AMD and intel CPU architectures. I personally would prefer a much less comprehensive GPU comparison but at least some CPU performance comparison. I understand that it is difficult to add this variable to the comparison, but maybe you can find the right approach, the same way you pioneered the way the performance should be tested based on the perceived experience not just looking at fps or minimum fps.

Reactions: ecktt
like this
The easiest way to get 8x and ultra at high res in this game is to turn the Crowd setting to off, there is a huge improvement in frame rates and other than the missing spectators, it looks fantastic. When set this way, I can run it at 3440x1440 with 8x MSAA on a gtx 1080 at around 70 and higher fps. I am posting this to possibly help anyone that owns this game and has a lesser GPU, I do realize it has nothing to do with the comparison in the review above.....just putting it out there.

Last edited:
Kyle, it has become very relevant for the first time in many many years to know the performance differences between AMD and intel CPU architectures. I personally would prefer a much less comprehensive GPU comparison but at least some CPU performance comparison. I understand that it is difficult to add this variable to the comparison, but maybe you can find the right approach, the same way you pioneered the way the performance should be tested based on the perceived experience not just looking at fps or minimum fps.
Kinda like this? https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide/

The Definitive AMD Ryzen 7 Real-World Gaming Guide
With our AMD Ryzen 7 overclocked to 4GHz we find out if this is a competitive real-world gaming CPU or not. We compare it with two overclocked Intel 7700K and 2600K systems across six different video card configurations at 4K, 1440p, and 1080p to find out which CPU provides the best gameplay experience using playable game settings.

To bad you guys didn't have a RX 550 4Gb just to see what Polaris can do at 50 watts.

Like all good articles, this one leaves you wanting MORE. And that is the gameplay experience. Do I really need 8x MSAA? Do I really need Ultra quality? And the answer to these may depend on the PPI - 4K on a 24" monitor is different from 4K on a 40" monitor, and 1080p on a 24" monitor is different from 1080p on a 27" monitor.

So the usual late term nVidia performance decline has begun while AMD's performance increases marched right past.............It's Deja Vu all over again.............

So the usual late term nVidia performance decline has begun while AMD's performance increases marched right past.............It's Deja Vu all over again.............
Seems that way, that odd taste keeps coming back.

Thinking of the 1080p users or lower budget gamers, FreeSync monitors are cheap at this resolution too compared to GSync ones and racing games really come through well with syncing monitors. For the lower end video cards I can't help but recommend AMD/RTG and a FreeSync monitor. For example for a price of a 1080p GSync monitor you could buy a 570 and FreeSync monitor for less together except for the mining issue now jacking up the prices.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=freesync monitor&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160979 600559797&IsNodeId=1&Description=gsync monitor&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

There maybe a point where Nvidia will have to support Adaptive Sync monitors.

Being that this is one of the increasingly-rare modern titles that supports MSAA, I would have like to see comparisons made with MFAA enabled for the Pascal cards as well. It seems that enabling this would be a good idea to reach the highest graphics quality in the game when using a Nvidia card. I run the game with 8xMSAA with MFAA enabled which technically is 16xMFAA, if I'm not mistaken on how that works. Game looks and runs beautifully on a 980ti/4790k with these settings @ 1080p on a 120hz monitor, averaging between 90-130fps on ultra (with no motion blur).

Please consider amending this to the article or including it in future analysis of (the increasingly rare) titles that support MSAA. It is personally my favorite type of AA currently and I would like to see how it stacks up in different game engines. I am not a fan of texture degradation when AA is applied.

Last edited:
Back