Directx screwing up sound (crackle, pop)

Blakestr

[H]ard|Gawd
So I do a clean format, reinstall everything, update every driver, etc....

Install latest version of directx and start up games....I notice that in the music and sound cracks and pops...it varies to very slightly in HL2 to unbearably in AOE3. I suppose it could be my soundcard but I remember how that popping/crackling noise is almost always directx.

I found a directx cleaner but before I use it I want to get more input from people...what could have caused this? Just a random data flaw that occured installing directx. I suspect its a codec problem but I didn't install any other codecs before hand (Installed klite codecs after I had the problem.

Graphics seem fine, it's just the audio.

I'm using an HDA Mystique 7.1....routed to ampliefier and speakers....here's the thing, this started to happen only after I formatted and reinstalled everything....it was fine before, I just formatted because of slowdowns and whatnot. It's got to be a software problem.

I should also mention that it seems the mix of graphics screws up the audio...when the screen is black and the graphical stuff hasn't loaded, the music/sound is fine but as soon as the graphics engine loads it stutters horribly.

Turning off hardware acceleration didn't help and there is no IRQ confllict between audio and video. It does seem to happen when music is playing and 3d rendering occurs...

I just downloaded whatever drivers there were and ran them, then I went to directx's page and downloaded it and installed. Reboot after each thing too (install soundcard drivers, reboot, install gpu drivers, reboot...)

..I checked device manager and it said no irq conflicts and I even checked to make sure they were different numbers.

I am jsut about to format again but the then is...I just did a clean format. Hopefully the error was just a fluke but I wanted to get more input before I waste the time of formatting and reloading everything back on.

No one here knows :(. There's got to be a way to just delete directx ...

K, I'm gonna format but I just need to know and maybe this is where I screwed up...I install all my soundcard, video card, and then I update windows/XP? Is that right? I can only guess the order is what caused the error but whatever it was, I don't want to repeat it...

Blakestr said:
No one here knows :(. There's got to be a way to just delete directx ...
You can't delete it, but you can rollback to the version of DX that yu originally had when you installed windows.

Back