DirectX 12 could lead to better performance

Mak54291

Gawd
Considering Direct X9 games are still being released regularly i'll go ahead and hold my breath.

A major dev just talked about DX12 and said it will absolutely not help performance and explained why. He did say something about more triangles / detail etc but NOT faster performance.

A major dev just talked about DX12 and said it will absolutely not help performance and explained why. He did say something about more triangles / detail etc but NOT faster performance.

Much like Mantle it'll benefit low end CPU/integrated GPU's. For a high end CPU with high end GPU, it's much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Much like Mantle it'll benefit low end CPU/integrated GPU's. For a high end CPU with high end GPU, it's much ado about nothing.

Better than nothing but would certainly be disappointing if true.

Lot of low end gaming machines out there.
so those get new life playing.

Isn't it a bit of conundrum though? Will low spec machines even be able to upgrade to DX12, and will the users even know how to upgrade in the first place (this may be bias as I associate people with lesser computers to be of lesser computer knowledge lol)?

Sounds like a good benefit for desktop/laptop cpu's with integrated graphics. Of course like someone already stated were still getting games released using DX9.

The new consoles could certainly use this improvement, if the APU is compatible.

Lot of low end gaming machines out there.
so those get new life playing.

True, but they'll still be low end. And even if my laptop got a big boost in performance I doubt I would play games on it (small screen, keyboard, lack of a good mouse or audio ect.). But like I said, better than nothing. There are some 2D/3D top down games I bought specifically for my APU laptop, and it can run them at ~30 frame rates. But I find myself doing other things instead of playing games with a less than ideal setup.

For existing games, if they offered a DX12 patch or Mantle patch, you would be right or mostly right. I say mostly right, because even when Mantle doesn't necessarily offer better framerates, the frametimes, smoothness, and overall experience is usually better.

But a big point of Mantle is to implement new things, such as greatly increase the amount of batch calls. Take something designed around these new features and flip over to a DX11 codepath, and it takes a poop.

Hopefully DX12 will allow for that sort of stuff, because we won't have games really stressing it, until nearly everyone has the capability.

Isn't it a bit of conundrum though? Will low spec machines even be able to upgrade to DX12, and will the users even know how to upgrade in the first place (this may be bias as I associate people with lesser computers to be of lesser computer knowledge lol)?

No. Old computers are not the primary target of this. By broader definition, computers that have already been sold are not the target of this, though they may reap a benefit. Rather, newer mid/low end PC's, laptops and x86 based mobile devices with an iGPU. There's a reason the demo was shown on just such a device. There's a reason AMD's Mantle was targeted at their APU. This is just Intel/Microsoft's loose equivalent.

Anyway, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom (and to SteamOS's benefit) will probably put DX12 behind the windows paywall again, so it won't even matter for people on older Windows that aren't installing Win8+. However if MS makes it available free for Win7 and up, it would signal they're finally pulling their heads out and learned something.

Last edited:
Not happening.

I thought an earlier report stated Windows 7 support for Dx12, but who knows till we see it utilized. I have my doubts as well but people learn, and huge corporations are considered people so maybe those of us using Windows 7 can continue enjoying it.

No....just no. There are some SITUATIONS that will see no benefit, just like Mantle, but there are many that will, especially if you don't have a high end CPU.

"absolutely will not help performance" - that is ridiculous.

I thought an earlier report stated Windows 7 support for Dx12, but who knows till we see it utilized. I have my doubts as well but people learn, and huge corporations are considered people so maybe those of us using Windows 7 can continue enjoying it.

MS is focusing on releasing Windows 9. No chance they go back and add Direct X 12 to 7 at this time.

NVIDIA's going to support D3D12 (the API, not the feature level) all the way back through Fermi (the 400-series), but AMD only on GCN and Intel only on Haswell graphics. There's still a lot of old NVIDIA hardware out there being used, so a fair number of people should be able to benefit.

Back