[Directron] $299 HP Promo ZR2740w 27-inch LED Backlit IPS Monitor 2560 x 1440

^^ Yep. A squaretrade rep just confirmed to me via chat that they would cover it.

For those who are concerned about the lack of OSD. It would be incredibly expensive to implement a OSD at this resolution and it is also unnecessary. Only brightness can be adjusted by a simple push of a button which works effectively. Nvidia / AMD / Intel control panel has all the options necessary to adjust color, contrast, and also takes care of scaling settings. I also have the 30 inch LCD 16:10 model which I still use today. Using the GPU software to adjust monitor settings is better than dealing with annoying an annoying OSD. You can save profiles in a control panel and change on the fly.

... Wait what? I'm pretty sure this thing was retailing around the same prices as other mainstream monitors. I wouldn't doubt it was actually more expensive than the Asus PB278Q, but the latter has an OSD.

... Wait what? I'm pretty sure this thing was retailing around the same prices as other mainstream monitors. I wouldn't doubt it was actually more expensive than the Asus PB278Q, but the latter has an OSD.

Without even doing research I'm sure the Asus model was always priced higher.

...which doesn't matter to me since I'm probably going to have a service take off the antiglare (and possibly debezel) anyway.

Been looking for someone who does this. Callsign Vega is off flying helicopters so idk who else to ask.

Without even doing research I'm sure the Asus model was always priced higher.

That's why you do research. Because you're wrong. The MSRP of the ZR2740W is higher (by around 200$). However, I think they realized their market wasn't as large as they wanted it to be, so its prices have been coming down rather drastically. Furthermore they were very likely made for different markets and at different times.

I really doubt OSD is as big of a deal price wise as you think it is anyway (unless you have some concrete reason for thinking so). Also, the ASUS used PWM dimming whereas this zr2740w does not. So that's a price point difference. And probably a major one. This is the cheapest monitor you're going to get that doesn't have PWM dimming at the moment, I think. The Qnixes are a mixed bag in that regard from what I've read.

^^ Yep. A squaretrade rep just confirmed to me via chat that they would cover it.
Great to hear that. How much did they charge for this $300 monitor?

At this point, I may say the hell w/ OC'ability and get this for the cheap. It'd cost me the same as my GTX 770 (before warranty purchase). :eek:

Great to hear that. How much did they charge for this $300 monitor?

At this point, I may say the hell w/ OC'ability and get this for the cheap. It'd cost me the same as my GTX 770 (before warranty purchase). :eek:

I think it was ~$40.

I think it was ~$40.
Not too bad, so $340 for an allegedly new HP monitor and warranty, which is still a bit cheaper than the $350 monitor that occasionally comes on sale at Woot for a refurbished HP.

In response to warranty, please note that these are probably the original ZR2740w models (not v2), issued beginning in 2011. This means that their original 3-year manufacturer warranty may either have expired or is about to expire, which is why Directron may be guaranteeing them for 1yr. This is most likely a clearance sale of inventory in "New" condition which has gone unsold for too long.

The only difference between ZR2740w v1 and ZR2740w v2 seems to be antiglare coating (v2 having the slightly better, less obstructive coating), which doesn't matter to me since I'm probably going to have a service take off the antiglare (and possibly debezel) anyway. Even for those keeping the coating, the difference between both isn't worth crying about, and you'd only really notice it if you had one of each side by side anyway. It's a small improvement yes, but not night and day enough to pass up on this insane price.

Review of v2: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2740w_v2.htm

But if I receive v2s when they arrive instead of v1s, even better ;-)

Not sure if you're talking about TN 4K monitors, but the ZR2740w is IPS, not TN >_>

See:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr2740w.htm
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=5163694

Huh? A manufacturer warranty is never dependent on manufacture date, just when its sold to the end user. It is an older model though so maybe HP has a new 27" model coming soon.

Huh? A manufacturer warranty is never dependent on manufacture date, just when its sold to the end user. It is an older model though so maybe HP has a new 27" model coming soon.

That's not always the case, it really depends on the SKU.

Got mine today. Quickly got it setup.
Some backlight bleed but I would consider it negligible.

Was planning on getting a Qnix/Xstar but had to snag this instead.
Big step up for me over an old Dell 2007wfp.

Box came with a decent gouge on one of the bottom sides which barely scratched the styrofoam.
Definitely looked like it had been opened and the side of the metal bezel, there is a metal/aluminum piece sandwiched between the front and back plastic pieces, has two very minor scratches.
The panel/screen is completely untouched and appears flawless, other than the slight backlight bleed.

Last edited:
Really tempting. How are you guys liking this as far as color reproduction?

I currently have a DELL 24" IPS (2408WFP). It's 1920x1200. Might dump that for this.

Obviously 4k is coming, but I don't see myself buying a GFX card capable of driving 4k games. I could upscale 1080p. But what's the point? Unless it's a 32"+, it's no real point to it.

Really tempting. How are you guys liking this as far as color reproduction?

I currently have a DELL 24" IPS (2408WFP). It's 1920x1200. Might dump that for this.

Obviously 4k is coming, but I don't see myself buying a GFX card capable of driving 4k games. I could upscale 1080p. But what's the point? Unless it's a 32"+, it's no real point to it.
You're in the same boat as me. I also have a 24" Dell LCD with 1920x1200 (thankfully not the short 1080 stuff). But my monitor is even older, from 2005.

I'm hoping for some good Memorial weekend sales, be it this HP or another 27" 1440p LCD.

Got mine today...
Could you maybe confirm the manufacture date and check the warranty status on this site?
(Info is on a small panel that pulls out of the left edge of the bezel.)
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/wc/home?

I would expect these to have at minimum the balance of factory warranty remaining based on the S/N, regardless of what the Directron site says. Unless HP "blacklisted" the serials or something which would seem odd.

Huh? A manufacturer warranty is never dependent on manufacture date, just when its sold to the end user.
You should be able to get service based on S/N alone, I've had one replaced that was purchased secondhand (ie, no receipt.) The receipt would come into play if your purchase date (for a legitimately new unit) was much later than the manufacture date. Support on the Z-series stuff is pretty great once you get to the right department. (The standard outsourced consumer support is abysmal and has no clue how to deal with these.)

I wouldn't buy one counting on the warranty, but compared what you get with the Korean options it seems like a reasonable alternative.

It is an older model though so maybe HP has a new 27" model coming soon.
They already have one, the Z27i.

Could you maybe confirm the manufacture date and check the warranty status on this site?

I would expect these to have at minimum the balance of factory warranty remaining based on the S/N, regardless of what the Directron site says. Unless HP "blacklisted" the serials or something which would seem odd.

I'll check that out when I get home. Only 7.5hours left....

The 2408 uses a wide gamut S-PVA panel and can't display colors properly (they are inaccurate and over-saturated colors) unless you use the sRGB mode (which issn't very good) or use it with color managed applications. Most cheap budget IPS have better colors and the HP is much better.

------------------

The Acer K272 (Review, use Google or Chrome to translate) is also pretty good consider and PWM free unlike the PB278Q. It goes on sale for 330$ in the US sometimes. The HP has better colors and lower input lag but more ghosting, no OSD and no HDMI. The AOC Q2770QPU (Review Links) is the best matte (semi-glossy), PWM free, multi-input 1440p monitor under 800$.

how's hp's warranty process? Dell is pretty painless on their premium monitors. Will hp ship you a new monitor first if this one has defects (dead pixels, bad backlight bleeding)?
I can answer the first part of this. My 2.x-year old ZR2740w started failing recently. It would just go dark, seemed to be overheating. After going through HP's typically complicated process of creating an account on their site, I opened a case. No response. Three days later, my doorbell rings at 8am. Open door, replacement monitor with return shipping label.

I'm sure they have some kind of dead pixel stipulation. I wouldn't know what it is.

I'll check that out when I get home. Only 7.5hours left....

Manufactured March 2013.

Has two warranties that are "Active" one ends May 23, 2014 and the other on Feb 22, 2017.
The one ending in Feb 2017 is "Wty: HP HW Replacement Support."

Last edited:
Manufactured March 2013.

Has two warranties that are "Active" one ends May 23, 2014 and the other on Feb 22, 2017.
The one ending in Feb 2017 is "Wty: HP HW Replacement Support."
So they should be the V2 with less harsh AG coating. The shorter warranty is for initial setup support which is irrelevant; the replacement through 2017 makes it a pretty awesome deal.

So they should be the V2 with less harsh AG coating. The shorter warranty is for initial setup support which is irrelevant; the replacement through 2017 makes it a pretty awesome deal.
In that case, I guess no extended warranty (like from Square Trade) would be needed?

Back