Directory/contents will not delete

I have a SBS2011 server. A user unzipped a file from a Mac vendor. For some reason using the built in unzipping app from Win7 it unzipped and encrypted the contents (turned "green" in Explorer). Was able to decrypt part of the directory. Contents were wrong so we tried to delete same files/folders.

Windows errors out on deleting and says the file or folder is corrupted and cannot delete. If I try to delete from the server directly it comes back with error 0x80070091 - directory not empty. Tried changing ownership, permissions, etc; It won't allow me (as admin or as myself with admin creds). Tried deleting via the user who put the files/folders on the server and permission is denied.

Any ideas how to delete this folder/files off the server? I can delete the decrypted files and folders fine but the ones that are still encrypted I cannot.

Ideas?

If "del /f" or "rmdir /s" don't work, try doing a complete chkdsk on the drive its sitting on.

Last option would be the Unlocker app, which does pretty well with killing whatever DLL, handle or process that's blocking full access to a specific file or folder.

Oh this may be a bit of a pain to fix! If all else fails get a bootable linux CD.

CrimsonKnight13: del /f and rmdir /s didn't work; no errors thrown but it also didn't delete squat. Thanks for that idea. I've been reading about the Unlocker app. I'll look more into it now. EDIT: Unlocker couldn't do anything, either.

Jay_oasis: Yeah, I'm kinda trying to avoid that but I think that'll eventually be the path I have to take.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Are you sure the files in question are not marked "read only"?

How about deleting files in each folder and then delete the folder? Can you rename folders/files? How about moving folders?

A trick that sometimes works is to create 2 parent directories, move the folder into the second directory then delete the first parent directory.

So you have new folder1/new folder2/undeletable folder. Then try deleting new folder1.

If none of those work then you'll likely have to use a boot cd or usb stick.

CrimsonKnight13: del /f and rmdir /s didn't work; no errors thrown but it also didn't delete squat. Thanks for that idea. I've been reading about the Unlocker app. I'll look more into it now. EDIT: Unlocker couldn't do anything, either.

Jay_oasis: Yeah, I'm kinda trying to avoid that but I think that'll eventually be the path I have to take.

Thanks again.

That sucks. I'd go with the Linux live disc as well since that's one of the few ways to override crap errors like that. :(

Are you sure the files in question are not marked "read only"?

How about deleting files in each folder and then delete the folder? Can you rename folders/files? How about moving folders?

A trick that sometimes works is to create 2 parent directories, move the folder into the second directory then delete the first parent directory.

So you have new folder1/new folder2/undeletable folder. Then try deleting new folder1.

If none of those work then you'll likely have to use a boot cd or usb stick.

Thanks for the ideas, too. Tried. Nope. Won't delete still. When I try to perform any operation on one of the sub directories I get a Windows pop up balloon message saying something about corruption and try running chkdsk.

I have chkdsk scheduled to run on next reboot. I'll do that tonight. Then when that doesn't fix anything I'll (you can see I'm not holding my breath that it'll fix anything) run a boot disk on Friday PM.

Thanks again.

Back