Directly fund tactical shooter

BETA.

2[H]4U
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/355932838/crowdsourced-hardcore-tactical-shooter

We all remember Gabe Newell mentioned that he's dwelled on the the idea of having the consumer as the investor for video game development. Well, it looks like Serellan, Inc has taken this idea further, by actually doing it. The founder Christian Allen, was former designer and creative director for many games, including development for Red Storm Entertainment. Which means, he's been involved in projects that we all know and loved like the classic Rainbow Six series.

The idea sounds good, but it is also a double edged sword. Since we, the fans are paying them directly, we have a say and higher paying supporters get more privileges:

At the silver level, people will be able to have more influence on the game, such as voting for certain weapons, features, equipment, mission locations, etc.

At the gold level, supporters will have the opportunity to submit content, including weapon models, levels, and missions to go into the game. If the content meets the standards, it will be included in the final game and the submitter will be given full credit.

At the platinum level, supporters will have the opportunity to participate in creative meetings, visit the studio, and much more.

The other side of it is there's always the potential that their project would come out not as promised, how will disgruntled supporters be handled? Would if development costs run short and they cannot complete the game, do they run with our money or refund us?

Anyways, it's pretty interesting nontheless and I really hope the revival of real tactical shooters is among us.

I find it interesting in looking at the other social projects, such as the underground gardens in NYC, and other things getting a few thousand, and Wasteland 2 gets 800k with little to no effort.

Not interesting as in more money should go to the social projects, more just that these gaming projects can get thousands of dollars pretty dang quickly with a simple mention and a video.

This has already been posted a few times. There is at least one other thread in gaming, and one in front page news.

Sadly.. I think the people have spoken. Look at what happened with the Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo Wasteland deals... both of them surpassed a million dollars in a few days. This has been going on for half a month and can't even get 50k. I think that says a lot about where the market is for games like this. This kickstarter will fail, and I think it will be the nail in the coffin for tactical shooters. After seeing this project fail, no one is ever going to want to touch this genre.

Back