Direct2Drive Spring Sale: Week 3 (04/26/2010 - 05/03/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up ahead of time!

Probably jumping on NBA2k10. Rotk on PC? Someone tell me more?

I'm playing Saboteur on PS3 right now, loving the game. Lots of fun, like a GTA in Paris, having fun just running around and blowing up Nazis. Killer soundtrack too.

Saboteur

Cities XL or Romance of the three Kingdoms or Sid Meier's Railroads

for me.

Someone tell me if Cities XL is worth it or not.

picked up saboteur and battlefield II. saboteur is great stuff. BF2, I am wondering what to expect based on BC2?

The Saboteur alone made this week's sale worthwhile. I just bought it.

I'll be buying HAWX as well - worth ten dollars? Yes, I believe so.

And I've got my eye on Cities XL (chiefly because of the price) and that 3 Kingdoms thing, because I see that it's a turn-based game, and not an RTS. Some decent deals this week. Now all they have to do next week is put Wolfenstein on sale.

Wow, those are some great deals. Civ IV deal is insane...makes me sad that I have the Civ IV Collector's Edition sitting there unused for 2, 3 years now. I don't know why I asked my wife to buy it for me! Never even played anything in the series.

Definitely trying Hawx for $10.

sweet even though I own all the discs for civ4 I picked it up again, so much easier to not have to deal with all the discs.

Argh, I have a regular copy of Civ 4 from the 5 year anniversary sale sitting on my D2D account, still unused. Do you think I can gift/sell this thing somehow?

Err...isn't everyone just selling the BF2 Complete Collection and even so, Armored Fury and Euro Forces are free now? Special Forces is still a lot of fun if you don't have it, lost of folks still playing Ghost Town.

EDIT, NVMD I see where they are coming from with the bundle.

Bioshock has be $5 before. Both at D2D & Steam. Odd to do that price for a special sale. A normal weekend sale or something sure. But I'd expect better for a sale like this.

best sale ever, for the first time during an entire sale i haven't felt compelled to buy anything

I have never used D2D before so I have a question. can you download the game infinitely or is there a time or install limit? I hate that 1 year download BS that the EA store uses.

Yeah, both bioshock and torchlight have been $5 on several occasions. Don't know what's up with that.

I have never used D2D before so I have a question. can you download the game infinitely or is there a time or install limit? I hate that 1 year download BS that the EA store uses.
yes, they have a download guarantee they show when ordering a product. of course that only counts if they never shut down. as for ea it will actually load the game files in a cache folder. You can burn this to dvd. on future winstalls just restore the folder, get the EADM and reinstall the game. Did this several times while diagnosing a computer issue.

Saboteur

Cities XL or Romance of the three Kingdoms or Sid Meier's Railroads

for me.

Someone tell me if Cities XL is worth it or not.
Visually, Cities XL is the most visually stunning city builder I've every played. Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's about all it's got going for it.

For $14.95, I think it's worth it. The only thing I wished it had was ambient sounds.

Civ4 bundle is hot!
I got it during a steam sale and I don't recall it being anywhere near that low.

yes, they have a download guarantee they show when ordering a product. of course that only counts if they never shut down. as for ea it will actually load the game files in a cache folder. You can burn this to dvd. on future winstalls just restore the folder, get the EADM and reinstall the game. Did this several times while diagnosing a computer issue.

Nothing prevents you from burning the D2D games. As for Authentication, idk. It seems that sometimes they issue CD-Key and other times there's somekind of online authentication unique to D2D. Although it has a button to 'request a CD-Key' too.

The D2D service is just so simple - you buy the game, download the entire disc to your hard drive, and install it. You can even burn the disc if you want to - I just delete it after I've finished the installation.

D2D, as soon as you commence your download, will send you your authentication code, which you enter after installation or before the first time you run the game.

And that's it. You're done. I love it because there's no third party software, and because I don't have to go searching for a disc to put into the drive. It's a pretty great service, if you ask me.

D2D, as soon as you commence your download, will send you your authentication code, which you enter after installation or before the first time you run the game.
The thing I suspect is that the Activation code vs. the straight CD-key goes to D2D servers. So even if you burn a copy, if D2D goes under, you're still out of luck.

30 minutes left for this sale.

What will go up next? I bought Wolfenstein for 50% at D2D just a couple of days ago, so if they put it up for $5 this week I'm going to be sad, mad, and er, bad.

I honestly believe that I now own every game that I've ever desired, er wanted (with the exception of a few recently released titles that aren't going to go on sale), so I'll be curious to see the new list. The one game I haven't got, and would probably buy, would be Tom Clancy's Endwar - but it would have to be a $5 sale. The demo actually wasn't too bad. But no way am I paying more than $5 for that.

Actually now that I think about it, the way things have been going lately, all I have to do is ask, and I seem to be getting it? I asked for a GTX 480 and got one. And then I asked for The Saboteur and Wolfenstein sales, and got those too. So I'm willing to bet that Endwar goes up for $5.

The thing I suspect is that the Activation code vs. the straight CD-key goes to D2D servers. So even if you burn a copy, if D2D goes under, you're still out of luck.

The chances of D2D going under before these games become so antiquated that none of us will want to play them, are about the same as Valve going under - no difference between Steam and D2D.

Okay, maybe 20 years from now - yes, that could happen. By that time these games will all be free anyhow, and they'll be a joke in comparison with the contemporary titles.

30 minutes left for this sale.

What will go up next? I bought Wolfenstein for 50% at D2D just a couple of days ago, so if they put it up for $5 this week I'm going to be sad, mad, and er, bad.

I honestly believe that I now own every game that I've ever desired, er wanted (with the exception of a few recently released titles that aren't going to go on sale), so I'll be curious to see the new list. The one game I haven't got, and would probably buy, would be Tom Clancy's Endwar - but it would have to be a $5 sale. The demo actually wasn't too bad. But no way am I paying more than $5 for that.

Actually now that I think about it, the way things have been going lately, all I have to do is ask, and I seem to be getting it? I asked for a GTX 480 and got one. And then I asked for The Saboteur and Wolfenstein sales, and got those too. So I'm willing to bet that Endwar goes up for $5.

I will firmly stand by my opinion that Endwar is a piece of shit. The voice controls are neat, when they work, but god forbid you try to get complex with them. I was having fun until I had to issue long streams of commands only to find out that the game refused to correctly recognize some important terms, like call signs for objective points. Even after numerous attempts to go through the voice recognition bit in the game it still failed. And yeah good look trying to play the game with a mouse and keyboard when the voice commands fail you.

It's okay, Endwar didn't go on sale anyhow.

There's a beautiful Mass Effect 1 and 2 bundle for $35 though. But most of us probably own those already.

I might pull the trigger on Grand Ages of Rome for $10. Maybe. I'll think about it. No point in buying a game I won't ever play.

Noob question. For games like Titan Quest. If I wanted to play multiplayer with a friend online, do I have to purchase two keys?

Got "The saboteur" but for whatever reason it refuses to completely download for me on D2D. Gets to a 100% and then errors out and resets to 0% again. Tried it with the downloader/s and just using the straight download but still the same thing. Have a ticket in so hope to get it fixed soon or get a refund. Only D2D game so far that i have that has done this.. :(
Just a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back