Direct2Drive or Steam?

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
SInce D2D has the EU version and I never used it before how its services are comparable to Steam? I mean, can I redownload the game anytime I want and what's with patches and general customer support. Prices are very similar to Steam, so that factor ain't matter

D2D isn't bad at all and I have used it before. That said, I would recommend Steam for the simple reason of reinstalls. When you reinstall Windows or have to reformat etc, you can just download steam and tell it to get your games and that is that. With D2D you have to go back to the site manually for most and with newer games you may even have to email them for a reactivation. Both are fine choices, but I think Steam wins overall.

I'm not familiar with D2D but i know with Steam that if you install it on another HDD other than the OS one then you don't have to worry about reinstalling all the games again after a re-format. Heck i been known to move the Steam folder to a whole different HDD and still not have to reinstall anything :).

Go with the cheaper at the time. D2D has been great for me... if you try to reinstall too many times, you might have to contact them. All things being equal, I'd probably go steam, but I definitely don't shy from D2D if they have a good deal. If it weren't for the install limit I might choose D2D over steam. D2D doesn't require that you go through their special client. And you can install it in any folder.

That said, impulsedriven.com is my first choice. Their selection isn't as wide as steam, but they have faster downloads, infinite reinstalls like steam, and a minimalist philosophy... meaning they don't try to put extra stuff on top of your game like Steam does.

AFAIK D2D dont have automatic updates which is big negative for me.

+1 for Steam

Steam. D2D doesnt allow mods for some games where as steam actually hosts some. D2D has to rebuild patches so some games never actually get patched and youre just screwed. YOu still have to install D2D games just like as if you had the physical media. I have both but will never buy another D2D its just too much of an annoyance for me.

ya, if prices are close to the same steam wins.

Steam has automatic updates, easies to re-install games and to back them up. Just copy your steam app's folder and bam all your games are backed up, including all mods and patches you've installed, unlike D2D's installers where you will still have to re-patch and install any mods or changes you've made again.

But D2D is fine if its cheaper than steam, just a bit less convienent

Either work fine, D2D lets you play the game as is and download it in the future if need be, but it's just the game that's on your OS. Also D2D does not do auto updates or have a community feature. You're just simply getting a pure digital version of the game, no strings attached.

Steam games require you to have the steam software in order to play/download your game (afaik). Comes with community and auto updates.

Take whichever is cheaper at the time, both are great game hosts, I've used both.

You can turn off auto updates for Steam-installed games ...

PS my vote is for Steam. :)

I use Steam sometimes (specials) but generally I prefer retail. I honestly don't understand how D2D and the like can charge more for a download than it costs to purchase the retail boxed version.

When I look for a game, I'll first look on steam then anywhere else. I've been using it for quite some time and I've never had any problems.

I use Steam sometimes (specials) but generally I prefer retail. I honestly don't understand how D2D and the like can charge more for a download than it costs to purchase the retail boxed version.

this has been discussed many times before.

one of the biggest reasons is retailers would throw a btich fit and threatin to stop selling a companies game. If online stores had the ability to sell it for cheaper they would lose to much buisness to steam/d2d. So to appease retailers the publishers tell steam/d2d they have to match in-store prices (excluding special sales and such).

+1 for steam. I love how easy it is to reinstall games. Every time I format and go and tell it what games to download, I end up replaying Portal.

Steam is much better overall. I only buy from D2D when the game is significantly cheaper.

I pretty much only use steam, not only for the ease of re-downloading my games, but also to keep connected to the network of friends I game with regularly.

this has been discussed many times before.

one of the biggest reasons is retailers would throw a btich fit and threatin to stop selling a companies game. If online stores had the ability to sell it for cheaper they would lose to much buisness to steam/d2d. So to appease retailers the publishers tell steam/d2d they have to match in-store prices (excluding special sales and such).

Amazon, Play, even my local game store and the supermarkets are all cheaper than D2D/Steam. I paid £25 for Dragon Age delivered next-day to my door (so no less convenient than waiting for a whopping download which would also consume a good chunk of my broadband allowance) or I could pay £40 to download the same edition. SF4 cost me £18 and sells for £30 on Steam. That doesn't seem much like price-matching to me, more like charging a hefty premium. Still, rules are rules (even if they don't seem to apply to retailers :rolleyes: ) and there are obviously enough people using these services to make them profitable ventures.

Amazon, Play, even my local game store and the supermarkets are all cheaper than D2D/Steam. I paid £25 for Dragon Age delivered next-day to my door (so no less convenient than waiting for a whopping download which would also consume a good chunk of my broadband allowance) or I could pay £40 to download the same edition. SF4 cost me £18 and sells for £30 on Steam. That doesn't seem much like price-matching to me, more like charging a hefty premium. Still, rules are rules (even if they don't seem to apply to retailers :rolleyes: ) and there are obviously enough people using these services to make them profitable ventures.

i know its stupid lol.

Then again steam/d2d like to throw up $2-5 sales on lots of games and really good deals on some popular games as well so it all balances out,

For games that valve owns though you see some good launch deals, like the $33 for l4d/l4d2 when you buy 4 copies and such.

Thanks guys from the answer... seems with same prices I'll go for Steam. On the other hand it's "nice" to see that there is basically no price competition between d2d.eu and steam :p Tho some games like ME2, will be purchased from Game UK, as I still sometimes like to have old fashioned box :)

I know maybe one person that actually pays the full retail on Steam for anything. The biggest advantage is being able to buy games on sale much cheaper then online. I picked up SF4 when it was like $15 on Steam when it was still $40 retail. Just a matter of buying at the right time.

I've had a Steam account for over 5 years and the only game I've ever paid full retail for was Fallout 3.

Back