Direct X 11.1 - Windows 8 only...

If there is 3rd party software to change win 8 to behave, look, etc like win 7, then no it isnt just a tweaked version. (upgraded and downgraded at the same time)
People are not saying they dont like change its that the interface sucks for them, and they would just like the actual windows interface that even linux shares.(and works)

WHich is my point. win 8 is not a tweaked up cookie version of win 7. as u say, u need third party apps to make it look and feel like win 7.

And as i stated before, you are not forced to use the new UI. win 8 has the normal windows interface.

Actually yeah you are forced to use Metro. Did we freak out when DOS transitioned to Windows? Of course we did! But we went from a text based OS to a GUI, it was a brilliant change! Metro has changed the standard we all know and loved for the last 17 years! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It makes sense for a touch based OS but we are still using mice god damnit, I do not need to click on giant tiles the size of sticky notes to navigate.

Umm no you are not. my win 8 boots into metro but it takes me a split second to go to desktop and i never see metro again. shocking innit how i only get to see metro for a couple of seconds. damm that is forcing it on me innit lol.

This shows that you have not even tried/used win 8 and just making assumptions about it.

I won't buy microsoft again unless they make some major changes to a free'r ecosystem. If things continue in their current vein, I'll be off Windows and everything microsoft by the time Windows 7 is un-useable. I'll either go with a Linux Distro (I'd rather be limited by support for Linux, than the closed ecosystem Windows and Microsoft products are becoming) or abandon PC gaming for non-Microsoft consoles and Mac computer usage (shudder).

Are u forced to use the metro UI? if you dont like it use normal desktop mode. are you scared of change? did u freak out when windows first introduced the desktop we see today?

Do you normally get this offended over an OS? Do you realize "change" isn't inherently a good thing? Did you freak out when people didn't like Vista? The "normal" interface looks like ass compared to Windows 7, so if you're going to stick with that, might as well use the same OS you've already got... You won't pay anything extra, you don't need to reinstall and you have a better looking OS.

Do you normally get this offended over an OS? Do you realize "change" isn't inherently a good thing? Did you freak out when people didn't like Vista? The "normal" interface looks like ass compared to Windows 7, so if you're going to stick with that, might as well use the same OS you've already got... You won't pay anything extra, you don't need to reinstall and you have a better looking OS.

So just because i challenged someone about there post, i am being offensive?

i wasnt a big fan of vista because it did not run well and had lots of bugs and issues. windows 7 was perfect out of the box and far win 8 too(perfect as in no game breaking bugs i have seen that makes me want to stop using the OS for my needs which are programming code, playing games and editing my RAW photo's)

WHich is my point. win 8 is not a tweaked up cookie version of win 7. as u say, u need third party apps to make it look and feel like win 7.

And as i stated before, you are not forced to use the new UI. win 8 has the normal windows interface.

Umm no you are not. my win 8 boots into metro but it takes me a split second to go to desktop and i never see metro again. shocking innit how i only get to see metro for a couple of seconds. damm that is forcing it on me innit lol.

This shows that you have not even tried/used win 8 and just making assumptions about it.

Windows does not come with the normal interface. It has to be done with 3rd party apps as already stated, and even then I am not sure what else needs to be done. My point is it should be an option from MS.

So just because i challenged someone about there post, i am being offensive?

i wasnt a big fan of vista because it did not run well and had lots of bugs and issues. windows 7 was perfect out of the box and far win 8 too(perfect as in no game breaking bugs i have seen that makes me want to stop using the OS for my needs which are programming code, playing games and editing my RAW photo's)

I didn't say you're being offensive, I said you offended. As in, your feelings are hurt because some people have perfectly valid reasons for not liking Windows 8.

I didn't say you're being offensive, I said you offended. As in, your feelings are hurt because some people have perfectly valid reasons for not liking Windows 8.

How is it a perfectly valid reason when people say they are forced to use metro? i responded with how they are not. So what shall i do? what should us human beings do when we read a forum post and disagree with it with reasoning? shall we all stay quiet due to the fact that if we respond we are known to been offended?

Windows does not come with the normal interface. It has to be done with 3rd party apps as already stated, and even then I am not sure what else needs to be done. My point is it should be an option from MS.

the only thing missing from the normal interface is the start button

A rather big omission... And lets not forget the crappy flat looking windows that look like they were designed by a 6 year old that you cant do anything about. You can keep pretending the desktop is the same, and you'll keep being wrong.

So, there are some features that are dependent on WDDM 1.2 that won't get ported over, while features not reliant on WDDM 1.2 will get ported over. So some DX 11.1 features will make its way to Windows 7, and others will not.

Does this make it DX11.05?

Edit: I'm reading what's ported over to Windows 7, but cannot figure out exactly what those features are. Also, more relevant to gamers, it seems like 3D capabilities was not ported over (based on my educated guesses).

Last edited:

Really? Never? So you never go to the control panel or system options or even the start menu? Ok then. Also I have Windows 8 on my HTPC because it's fine for simple uses like that, it's NOT fine for a workstation.

Here is a quick summary of what KB 2670838 adds to Windows 7 Service Pack 1 / Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1:

ID3D11Device1, ID2D1Factory1, IDWriteFactory1, IDXGIFactory2, IWICImagingFactory2, ID3DUserDefinedAnnotation and related APIs are available. Methods that depend on WDDM 1.2 drivers or new Windows Store app APIs are not supported.
Improved Direct3D 11 device interoperability via ID3DDeviceContextState, including the improved interop with Direct2D/DirectWrite
D3D11_FEATURE_DATA_D3D9_OPTIONS feature detection
In addition to the new Windows 8 WIC features, this update also fixes decoding of 96bpp floating-point TIFF images.
All other features of DirectX 11.1 are Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 only.

Really? Never? So you never go to the control panel or system options or even the start menu? Ok then. Also I have Windows 8 on my HTPC because it's fine for simple uses like that, it's NOT fine for a workstation.

This x1000 I also have it installed on my HTPC and actually love it for that purpose, more so than Windows 7. Like you said, as a workstation OS, it falls short.

You'll just have to make friends with the fact that not everyone here is going to agree with you. Including myself. Your scenario is even less likely than it's ever been with previous OS releases since DX 11.1 is a very minor revision. hence the .1 denomination. Sure, eventually support for older OS will drop, including 7 because eventually we'll move beyond DX 11.x and eventually games will use them. Key word being eventually. I'll bet during the life cycle of next gen consoles, only a handful of games will drop support for Windows 7. I won't worry about that becasue i'll be on Windows 9.

I can live with that. but all this basically means is, you don't care about arbitrary restrictions, since you're just going to keep supporting them anyway. whatever floats your boat...

not a complete 180 at all if you read it, just the slight backpedal since they have conflicting interests. they need the backport for ie10 otherwise they lose momentum, most the major features are staying exclusive to win8.

So, there are some features that are dependent on WDDM 1.2 that won't get ported over, while features not reliant on WDDM 1.2 will get ported over. So some DX 11.1 features will make its way to Windows 7, and others will not.

Does this make it DX11.05?

Edit: I'm reading what's ported over to Windows 7, but cannot figure out exactly what those features are. Also, more relevant to gamers, it seems like 3D capabilities was not ported over (based on my educated guesses).

Depends on how useful the features they will port will be. I remember that while AMD supported DX 10.1, Nvidia had support for some features, but couldn't support all, so they only had DX 10 support on their cards. To make use of the features they did support, they had to talk with the game developer and make spesific support for Nvidia cards. I think it was with Stalker or Far Cry 2.

If the new consoles makes a game with DX 11.1 features, its not nessesarily so that they will make one DX 11.1 for Win 8, and an almost DX 11.1 for windows 7 and Vista. I bet they will do the lazy, less costly thing, and only introduce DX 11 for Win7/Vista.

I can live with that. but all this basically means is, you don't care about arbitrary restrictions, since you're just going to keep supporting them anyway. whatever floats your boat...

not a complete 180 at all if you read it, just the slight backpedal since they have conflicting interests. they need the backport for ie10 otherwise they lose momentum, most the major features are staying exclusive to win8.

Yes, absolutely, I'm supporting MS by not upgrading. If that's not the most backwards and flawed logic I've ever read, I don't know what is.

It's really very simple. Windows 8 currently does not offer me any incentive but takes away functionality when using it on my PC. This may not apply to you but you arent everyone, everyone is not you. Clearly, plenty of people feel the same way I do. No one is chastising you for upgrading. Im glad its working out well for you, I wish it could have worked well for me but it simply doesn't. And it's not like money is the issue either. I have several licenses waiting to be activate through my technet subscription... I just think its a crappy workstation OS. Period.

Last edited:

Before you read this post, spin your chair around in a 360, it only takes a second, just do it don't whine.

Now u-nhook your keyboard and throw it away. What? It's only ONE small piece of your computer what are you complaining about?

Win8 is an atrocity.

Good to see that Windows 7 will be somewhat supported.

I've personally switched both my computers to Windows 8 (I guess I have one laptop still on 7) and have enjoyed it so far. I don't rely on my computer for a living nor am I really an advanced user, so perhaps I was part of the target market. I like how I can TRIM my SSD's whenever I want through the operating system and not have to rely on any third party toolboxes.

I do wish they would add a Power shortcut when you right-click in the lower left corner. That's really my only major complaint.

I know it's only "some" support... but how can you only do some when it's an update? Is it only going to be a half update for W7?

Back