direct connect to modem doesn't work

bennetvu

Limp Gawd
Hi, I just recently sold my desktop which I used to connect directly to the cable modem but I just sold my desktop and now using a laptop. When I tried to direct connect to the modem, it doesn't work but the wireless connection works fine after I reconnect it properly. What do I need to reconfig in order to work properly? Thanks

check in the network setting and make sure your nic card isn't disabled. You'd be surprised how many computers I've fixed for friends family cause some goofy program decided to Disable the network device.

what exactly doe sit do when you plug it in? Does it says its not plugged in? Or does it tell you its plugged in but when you try to load a web page it just tells you your not connected to the internet?

Need more info to help troubleshoot

1 Have you restarted both the router and computer?
2 Does the network cable work?
3 Is it firmly plugged in?

Try to turn off the wireless if it is not already, then reboot the machine

Disable your wireless device/card, then enable your network card (right click enable), Control Panel > Network Properties > devices should be listed there. On your network car select properties, TCI/Ip Config, and make sure it is set to automaticaly pull the IP from DHCP. (No IP is assigned).

If that is all set, then Start -> run -> 'cmd' followed by ipconfig, ipconfig -release, ipconfig -renew.

If this still does not work, unplug the modem for 5 minute and plug it back in.

Disable your wireless device/card, then enable your network card (right click enable), Control Panel > Network Properties > devices should be listed there. On your network car select properties, TCI/Ip Config, and make sure it is set to automaticaly pull the IP from DHCP. (No IP is assigned).

If that is all set, then Start -> run -> 'cmd' followed by ipconfig, ipconfig -release, ipconfig -renew.

If this still does not work, unplug the modem for 5 minute and plug it back in.

Unplugged the modem for five mins does help. Thanks

Back