DIR-655 wont upgrade

Scotch77

Gawd
I am trying to upgrade my DIR-655 from firmware 1.21 to 1.32NA. Upon upgrading it seems successful but then all of the locations around the routers web interface suggest I am still using the 1.21 firmware. Is this a bug or was the update not successful? If so any tips on how to fix.

Most times after flashing a consumer level router, a factory reset is suggested. Have you done that yet? If you login to the router's admin page from a different machine, do you see the same (old) version listed?

I always reset to fact default, upgrade firmware, reset to fact default again.

excessive? maybe, but it also always worked for me :p

yeah When I pressed the reset button on the back it worked fine. Thanks guys. Now im just a bit curious about this security window that popped up asking me to install software. Maybe a upgrade was not the best idea.

yeah When I pressed the reset button on the back it worked fine. Thanks guys. Now im just a bit curious about this security window that popped up asking me to install software. Maybe a upgrade was not the best idea.
Was anything indicated when you read through the changelog for the newer firmware?

Was anything indicated when you read through the changelog for the newer firmware?
nope

DIR-655 Firmware Release Notes

=========================================

Firmware: 1.32NA

Date: 07/20/09

1. Fix when disable DHCP server and enable DHCP server, LAN PC cannot get IP.

2. Fix using wireless client to configure Access Control rules, cause DUT reboot.

3. Fix UPnP bug.

4. Disable CAPTCHA by default

5. Fixed QRS issue, can't set up wireless setting.

6. Fixed Router DHCP IP range issue.

7. Fixed WPS UI Show Error warning message.

8. Fix potential security leak with CAPTCHA.

9. Fix USB LED issue about Shareport.

10.Fix Shareport HP932C with Wins 7 issue

11. Fix if set more than 8 Trigger or Firewall port in Application Rules. It will show Warning message.

12. Fix bug: When QRS set wan type of rt to DHCP, the rt will not set Primary and second DNS.

Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading to pre-1.3x.

=========================================

ehh... depends on what was trying to install what, and if it truely came from the router (although I wouldn't expect the router to want to install any software on the computer)

where else would it come from? It was a websiter presented from the routers ip, so im pretty sure it was the router.

Can you reproduce this by logging into the router's admin interface from another machine?

It was a one time thing asking me if I wanted to enable a specific new security feature. I could reset the router to defaults, but im not going to do it. Ive got it set up correctly now.

What are you seeking to blame this on user error? find another victim

What are you seeking to blame this on user error? find another victim
Actually, no. I was interested more from your own personal computer security, i.e. if the "security warning" was truly coming from the admin interface or was perhaps a sign of an infection. Testing from another machine was the simplest way to check.

Don't be so quick to assume a question is double-edged.

The pop up you are seeing is for D-Link's Securspot, its enabled by default if you reset to factory settings. Log into the router and look for it under the advanced tab. Remove the check mark and it will go away until you reset the router again. I believe there is an option to kill it on that first pop up screen too. It's a service D-Link is trying to sell you that you likely don't need or want. :rolleyes:

Just to add to what I said above, what I believe it does is set your router to connect to there web page with the add for Securspot instead of your normal homepage. If you actually agreed to use the service all your web traffic would filter though the Securspot server. Its an all in one firewall, web filter, antivirus type deal. You would have to run client software on all your PCs. Anyway it appears to cause a lot of WTF moments not what D-Link was hoping for I would think.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if your having problems with 1.21, but I would not upgrade to 1.32. I unfortunately did and have had nothing but issues. I'm no longer able to reliably stream any video content, my wireless has become very unstable and I need to restart the router every 2-3 days to maintain any sort of connection. Several other people on the dlink forums are having problems also. I of course had no issues with 1.21 just wanted to try out the fixes.

I'm not sure if your having problems with 1.21, but I would not upgrade to 1.32. I unfortunately did and have had nothing but issues. I'm no longer able to reliably stream any video content, my wireless has become very unstable and I need to restart the router every 2-3 days to maintain any sort of connection. Several other people on the dlink forums are having problems also. I of course had no issues with 1.21 just wanted to try out the fixes.

Thank you for taking a [h]it, for the team.

I'll stay at 1.20 until I need to (of course, my iPod Touch3g is having serious issues on my network, but since my comps aren't, I'll just keep this steady.

Once you go to 1.32 you can't go back to 1.21. I'm on 1.32 and it messed up Shareport to the point it wasn't usable any more. Kind or ironic because I went to 1.32 to get the enhanced Shareport features. I managed to fix my problems with a re-flash to 1.32. What I did was:
Reset to factory defaults.
Flashed over a "wired" connection.
And then did my setup again from scratch and saved a new config file.
It's been months now with no real problems on my DIR-655. :)

Back