DIR-655, having problems using QoS

Rusky

Limp Gawd
I want to set up QoS for my Internet/VoIP/torrents and I'm having problems getting it to work.

I want to set it such that voice takes the highest priority, followed by Internet, and then torrents.

I called customer service and I set it up according to them, but whenever I download a torrent file it still kills the voice and the Internet.

Are there any other options somewhere that I should have checked/unchecked?

You probably set the upload limit too high. If you have comcast or another ISP that does a powerboost type deal (the first 10mb of a file are uncapped) then the auto speed testing that the router does will not work.

It could also be encrypted torrents messing with it. Try making a default catch all rule at the lowest priority, and setting VOIP and Internet higher. This way everything not VOIP or HTTP is throttled down, rather than looking specifically for torrents.

Yes I'm using Comcast cable.

Does anyone that has the 655 know exactly how it's done, because I think that I have it set up correctly and it still doesn't work.

I will post my settings when I get home.

Here is an example for the Vonage setup

Name: Vonage
Priority: 1
Local IP Range: 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.2 <- this is the ip of the vonage box
Local Port Range: 0 to 65535
Remote IP Range: 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Remote Port Range: 0 to 65535
Protocol: 17 << UDP

Does anything look wrong in the way it's set up?

It looks fine. Did you uncheck the auto speed sensing box? Find out what your upload cap is without powerboost on, and manually set it to that. Speedtest.net and other online speed tests are NOT a good estimate of your actual upload cap. If you go by the cap listed on the comcast website subtract 10-15% of that number, maybe more.

Make sure automatic classification is left unchecked. Cant remember if it takes priority over the rules you manually establish or not.

Again, try making a default class at the lowest priority. All IPs, ports, protocols to priority 255 and then 2 other classifications for HTTP and Vonage at priority 1 and 50 or whatever you want them at.

I still think its powerboost messing with it.

Was there ever a solution to this? I tried to get an RMA from d-link. They gave me like a 5 hour runaround and then said they would charge me for not having box and some plastic stuff that comes with it. I tried RMAing through American Express but they said I needed to have already RMAed it within manufacturers warranty to qualify. So much for consumer protection.

edit: Just put the router back on this time with my computer using windows 7. Looks like everything is fine again. Must of been a Vista thing. It's too bad D-Link could never give a straight answer.

Last edited:
Back