Dipping back into this hobby (I think) Dusting off Sony NEX-3n

shmitty

Gawd
I never really stopped taking pictures however cell phones have come a long ways and I basically stopped carrying my camera anywhere. My kids are getting older and into sports etc which has me wanting to take photographs outside what my iphone will do.
As the title states I have a Sony NEX-3n (which I've owned since 2013) here's a quick rundown of this camera.
  • 16.1 MP Exmor APS-C sensor for great images
  • SELP1650 lens with motor zoom lever and body control
  • Full HD movie shooting 60i/24p
  • 200 to up to 16k ISO
  • Built in Flash (which is good for me I wont' be carrying an external flash)
I'm going to see how far this camera can get me it came w/ a 16-50mm lens which is pretty decent. The f/ isn't the best but it isn't bad. I was cruising ebay looking at lenses and decided to try the adapter route. I searched different lenses and prices and decided on Olympus OM style. They were inexpensive and many touted great reviews and awesome specs. I got a Metabones Olympus OM to Sony NEX adapter. I bought a 30 dollar 75-200mm f/3.8 auto focus lens off ebay in decent shape to start w/.
I researched the adapters, metabones had good reviews and kept the functionality of autofocus etc.
Does anyone have any experience w/ adapted lenses or metabones in particular? I was looking at 150+ for a used comparable sony lens w/ worse f/. The adapter is on backorder I can cancel that order. I'm not too afraid of being out under 30 dollars for the lens if this was a bad decision.
Any input would be appreciated.

Well I decided to cancel my order on the Metabones, they switched it to backorder on me when originally it stated "ships in 1-2 weeks". I did quite a bit of research last night and decided to buy a cheapo 13.00 adapter off amazon to go w/ that lens(no autofocus) if it proves to be a decent match I'll consider reordering the metabones to pick up the additional functionality.
I've decided I'm going to pick up a canon EF/EF-S adapter. My dad was a professional photographer for about a decade and he still has some of his gear. I will eventually pick up used lenses off ebay to go w/ that if testing w/ my dads lenses proves worthwhile. My worry is if I really dive back into the hobby I could see myself purchasing a higher end canon over sony so really hate to drop too much on sony glass.
Once it gets here I'll throw up some feedback good or bad for anyone looking at the older vintage glass.

Last edited:
Back