Dimming the Blue RV02 Case Light?

AQ_OC

2[H]4U
Anyone have a good way to do this? I know I can unplug it, but I'd light just a faint blue glow, rather than the intense "light-up-my-entire room" blare that it currently creates. Someone suggested putting a resistor in series with it...make sense, but has anyone done this and had it work out nicely? Got pics? What resistor value?

plug it into a fan controller? then you can just adjust the knob to what you want.

Cannot comment specifically on the RV02, but I know I was able to dim the "retina burning" PC-A05 lights by putting some masking tape over the lights themselves to sorta diffuse the brightness between the lights and the front panel. One more thing I know people did for the same case was put a few coats of clear nail polish over the LEDs as well. In the A05 case (no pun intended), the front panel comes off and the lights are actually behind the front panel, shining through little clear plastic pieces that are attached to the front panel. You simply take the front panel off, apply masking tape or nail polish, and then put the front panel back on.

Don't know how you'd get to the LEDs in the RV02, but try either masking tape or clear nail polish. ;) I would assume it works the same way....remove the front panel, do whatever, then stick it back on.

Want to delete this....but don't see how.

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea...perhaps...but my problem with that is I just ordered (a couple days ago, so it will be here soon) a 4-fan controller for the 4 case fans....so I'm already out of controllers!!! Good idea, though.

Cannot comment specifically on the RV02, but I know I was able to dim the "retina burning" PC-A05 lights by putting some masking tape over the lights themselves to sorta diffuse the brightness between the lights and the front panel. One more thing I know people did for the same case was put a few coats of clear nail polish over the LEDs as well. In the A05 case (no pun intended), the front panel comes off and the lights are actually behind the front panel, shining through little clear plastic pieces that are attached to the front panel. You simply take the front panel off, apply masking tape or nail polish, and then put the front panel back on.

Don't know how you'd get to the LEDs in the RV02, but try either masking tape or clear nail polish. ;) I would assume it works the same way....remove the front panel, do whatever, then stick it back on.

I have thought of the tape idea...but I ruled it out quickly just based on the looks of it...but the nail polish idea is something to consider! Thanks for that.

I'm not sure if I can get to the LED by removing the case. I'll find out tomorrow. I would not mind putting tape there. But I do like the nail polish idea...as long as it won't burn...anyone know that answer? On the outside it should be fine.

If you're handy with a soldering gun you can add a resistor in series with the LED. The greater the ohm value of the resister then dimmer you make it. Just solder one in series and cover with heat shrink tubing. You could even do a simple POT (potentiometer) to make it adjustable if desired (though I don't see the purpose). That's all most fan controllers are anyways, except for some PWM models.

I wouldn't waste a channel on a fan controller just to dim LED that I probably wouldn't need adjust ability on in the first place. But you could do so, and free up an output by using a Y splitter to combine similar fans in your case to the same channel. Like on my old Antex 300 I had the CPU on CH1, two (2) front fans on CH2, side a rear fans on CH3 and the RAM set on CH4. Easy-peesy-lemon-squeezy.

Ooh, got any Zalman FanMate2's laying around? That'll do it too.

yeah, those zalman controllers that have the knob on the pci slot would be perfect for you.

they always come with the zalman heatsinks.

I have one sitting on top of my office PC! I rarely touch it. Hmm.... :)

To the office!!

Two things:
1. probably have to trim the plug to get it to fit onto your mobo with all the other front panel switches/leds. just use a razor knife or dremel. no biggie.
2. it is possible that the FanMate2's resistance range won't be enough to dim the LED, but that's unlikely. just a thought.

Let us know how it works.

Well, it may take a while. I hate to mess with the office desktop machine....need it working top-notch 24/7.

you not out of controllers, just put a Y splitter on, and you can have one controller, control 2 fans.

you not out of controllers, just put a Y splitter on, and you can have one controller, control 2 fans.

Yep, this may be what I end up doing. It just seems easier. And the fan under the HDs and one right next to it are ideal for doubling up. I want the one under the CPU / cooler to get special treatment. Hopefully, the controller will arrive today or tomorrow.

I figured out how to get the front panel of the case off (you have to remove 6 screws!!). Anyway, once you can do that you can see the two blue LEDs and the red one. After playing around with it for a bit, I just put some black electrical tape over both of the blue LEDs. There is still plenty of light escaping from around the sides of either LED, so the net effect is a very dim blue which is exactly to my tastes. Now the HDD activity LED (red) is more noticeable, though it is never as bright as the other two.

I think I'm to roll with this for a while to see if it really works to my tastes. Another option is just to unplug that sucker! I'm not convinced I even like lights...but if I do, they need to be dim.

and free up an output by using a Y splitter to combine similar fans in your case to the same channel.

Brilliant! kidding... ;)

Now the HDD activity LED (red) is more noticeable, though it is never as bright as the other two.

Gotta love the trusty electrical tape. Great for so so many things. If you're not up soldering in a resistor (which I still think is the best way) then you can always use a sharpie to 'smoke' the lense. Though, it may look purple-ish.

Brilliant! kidding... ;)

Gotta love the trusty electrical tape. Great for so so many things. If you're not up soldering in a resistor (which I still think is the best way) then you can always use a sharpie to 'smoke' the lense. Though, it may look purple-ish.

Actually, I can solder in a resistor...nothing hard about that. However, since I don't know what resistor value will give me what amount of dimming, it seems like a hit or miss solution to me. The tape is simple and easily removed and fiddled with until I get where I'm at. Had that not worked, or if it proved to not work, then I'll pursue other options, for I simply cannot stand the light.

Actually, I can solder in a resistor...nothing hard about that. However, since I don't know what resistor value will give me what amount of dimming, it seems like a hit or miss solution to me. The tape is simple and easily removed and fiddled with until I get where I'm at. Had that not worked, or if it proved to not work, then I'll pursue other options, for I simply cannot stand the light.
there are a couple of variables which dictate what resistor value to use, forward voltage, ma, vin. but if i were to take a wild guess, a 480Ω resistor in series should be a good starting point. you can go up or down from there depending on the results of the 480Ω (200Ω-1kΩ or so), but i think 480Ω should get it down a good bit. 1/4 watt should be fine.
-sj

there are a couple of variables which dictate what resistor value to use, forward voltage, ma, vin. but if i were to take a wild guess, a 480Ω resistor in series should be a good starting point. you can go up or down from there depending on the results of the 480Ω (200Ω-1kΩ or so), but i think 480Ω should get it down a good bit. 1/4 watt should be fine.
-sj

Thanks. It does help to have someone who done it all before to give these kinds of tips. I had no clue. I will report that the light with the electrical tape over it looks quite nice in a completely dark room. I imagine some would prefer it the way it was. The fan controller is quite nice too.

Back