Dimenco Keeps the 3D TV Flame Alive

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
At the beginning of the decade, glasses free 3D displays were hyped as the next big leap in TV and monitor technology, but the 3D push from big manufacturers fizzled out years ago. However, IEEE Spectrum reports that at least one company was continuing to champion the concept at CES 2019. One of the biggest problems facing glasses free 3D TVs was resolution, as splitting the feed in half with a lenticular filter effectively reduces the TV's resolution. This year's 8K LCDs more than solve that issue, and I imagine smaller 4K and 5K displays will too. Another common problem was the effectiveness of cameras and sensors used to track the position of viewers' eyes, but the field of machine vision has advanced leaps and bounds since 2010. I'm not sure what specific improvements Dimenco made on that front, but Spectrum said their demo at CES was far more convincing that previous prototypes.

Check out the Dimenco video here.

And I can attest that, at least in the demos I saw, the 3D experience was smooth enough so I had no issues with headache or nausea - and I tend to be a real canary in the coal mine for those kinds of side effects... Dimenco's Simulated Reality is not exactly a product yet. The company is aiming to convince hardware manufacturers to add it to their displays, starting with manufacturers of laptops for gamers. In that product, it is expected to add about $200 to the manufacturing cost. And it also needs content. In an effort to get developers excited, the company introduced a development kit, including a 32-inch 8K display, gesture sensors, and audio hardware, along with software to allow its use with the main game development platforms. Dimenco indicated that it expects to see this technology reach consumers in 2020.

Better/alternate way of doing VR maybe? simplifies some things. Only one user, narrow range of possible viewing angles. would allow move freedom in designing the viewing area in the headset. You don't have to isolate the eyes to viewing two different screens.

I like the concept when it works. I just hate the limited angles and clunky glasses. Whatever Disney uses at their theme parks is probably the best instance of the tech I've seen and they've been using it for like 20 years.

It hasn't been 10 years since the last failed attempt. They just refuse to let 3D crap die.

I still love 3D, and was sad to see 3D TVs and gaming suddenly disappear. The issue is so many people cannot perceive the artificial 3D depth of the 3D effect. IF you have ever go to a 3D movie and half way through look around and see a lot of people have taken the 3d glasses and are trying to watch the movie without them? The 3D effect does no work for them for some reason. My wife is this way. She can hardly tell a difference in the 3D and the 2D screen. There are a lot of people like that.

I like VR - it's awesome and quite immersive (even though I still haven't made the leap). I have a 3D TV I bought 7-8 years ago? I didn't pay extra money for it - it was just a feature. I tried out watching a few things on it - lackluster experience. I also did not like wearing the glasses.
Fast forward a bit - I've watched a few movies in 3D and did not care for the experience (and did not like the glasses!) I think I saw the Force Awakens and ones of the Avengers movies. Personally, I prefer the 2D experience.
I hope the technology keeps pushing forward. Maybe someday they will develop something that is a good experience and works a lot better. I'm not anti-tech at all - I just want tech that works well and is enjoyable.

I think they will need to get to Zebra Imaging's level to move people. Hypervsn looks like where they need to be too. Hypervsn is just too loud though...

Back