Dim LEDs?

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
I googled, but I couldn't find an anwser. My case LEDs (Tempest 410) are incredibly bright. Not a problem during the day, or not even at night when I'm going to sleep. But, when I put it in sleep mode, it blinks. And that keeps me from going to sleep. A dimmer should work fine, but I don't know what to get. I'm a noob, so speak in layman's terms please.

Jason_CL

CaseLabs Forum Rep
Your Bios may even have an option to turn off the blinking lights, so when it goes to sleep, well, they don't blink. I know my Asrock board had that option.

Aptivus

Gawd
Do you really need an indicator to know if your case is on? Just un-hook the LED header from the board.

wjogert

2[H]4U
Honestly? A dimmer?? LOL.

I guess it's just the tech in me, but a resistor is so cheap and uber easy to install. :p
(100ohm, 220ohm, or 330ohm are my recomendations. Obviously the higher resistance, the more dimming)

A little 555 timer circuit would work as well, set it for 100 Hz, 50% duty cycle or something and it will appear ~ half as bright. Technically there's some power savings, but on an LED, I doubt there would be any.

Resistor as wjogert recommends is going to be cheaper and for LED's probably the better solution. A potentiometer would be slightly better so you can tune the brightness.