Dilemma should i buy tri fire 280x or cf 290x?

Swift_OwL

Limp Gawd
Been stuck with this dilemma for a week now. Cant decide what to purchase. Im looking to future proof and max all games at 1080p until hdmi 2.0 shows up. Then ill move onto 4k gaming.

looking at getting 3 280x for about $480 or 290x cf for $560.

What do you guys think looking for some opinions.

Current set-up is 2x 7870. Been cf since 4850s.

Personally, I'd go for the two 290x's. Not only are the 280x's similar to 7970's, you'll get more performance out of a single 290x for games that don't support crossfire.

Last edited:
Used market of course, miner cards. Whats swaying me is that if I go tri-fire with 280x I will be able to sell those close to the same price as I bought them, and its near 100 dollar difference. The 290x will lose more value as time goes on.

I wouldn't touch Hawaii CX unless water cooled as I owned one and It can make more heat then CX 7950's

I use a dwood bracket and an AIO (Antec 620) on my top card and my bottom is a GB Windforce 3. Top card hits 70, bottom card hits 80 both +50mv and sitting at 1100/1500. VRM's never get above 80 on either card. I know temps would be lower on a custom loop, but these two cards are totally in safe temp zone now as it stands. Sound levels are good as well, 290X CF is manageable on the cheap with a little planning, dont need a full custom loop.

Dilemma over, ordered 2 290x. Read a bunch of benchmarks and found that the 290x handles AA and AF alot better then the 280x. Now to sell my 7870s. Thanks all for the help.

Dilemma over, ordered 2 290x. Read a bunch of benchmarks and found that the 290x handles AA and AF alot better then the 280x. Now to sell my 7870s. Thanks all for the help.

Good choice. That 850W PSU in your sig is going to be tested

Yeah thats for sure, will see what happens have bigger psu if need be though. Wow i see in your sig you got the xeon 5650 up to 4.4 ghz. Im ordering one right now to replace this i7 920. Hows that processor treating you. Guess ill find out soon. Temps?

I'm glad u went the 290x route, I would assume tri-fire would be pretty poor on 280x.

Yeah thats for sure, will see what happens have bigger psu if need be though. Wow i see in your sig you got the xeon 5650 up to 4.4 ghz. Im ordering one right now to replace this i7 920. Hows that processor treating you. Guess ill find out soon. Temps?

Yeah I've been running into some of your posts and believe I responded to at least a few of them directly.
Temps are lovely. I'm cooler at 4.4 on my xeon than I was with my i7 @ 4Ghz. You'll love it.
Were you the one who PM'd me about the xeon?

EDIT no someone else but yeah if you didn't already order offer these guys $70 and they'll accept: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-X5650-2-66-GHz-Six-Core-SLBV3-Processor-Grade-A-/121250737445?pt=US_Server_CPUs_Processors&hash=item1c3b1b6d25
Actually I see esiso has them for $71 so they might take a $66 offer or something. Either way just get one

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back