Digitimes Predicts Slow OLED Market Penetration

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
According to a report by Digitimes Research, OLED displays aren't coming to the market as quickly as expected. The researchers point to Apple's use of an LCD panel in the iPhone XR, and also claim that "the availability of the new production capacity for AMOLED panels has come by rather slowly." While handset AMOLED panels are expected to reach a market penetration rate of 44.5% by 2022, the negative LCD panel growth in the handset industry is much steeper than the "small to medium" LCD industry overall, implying that OLED technology isn't being adopted very quickly outside of handsets.

Global shipments of small- to medium-size TFT LCD panels are expected to decline at a CAGR of 3.5% from 2018 to reach 2.02 billion units in 2023 due to the increasing popularity of AMOLED panels and the retirement of older-generation LCD lines by Japan- and Korea-based flat panel makers, according to Digitimes Research.

OLED burn-in is something that turns me off. I know the actual burn-in for normal users is not as bad as it sounds, but it still gives me a 'meh' feeling about OLED. And I don't need small, niggling worries in the background of my life.

Reliability and price needs to improve.

Look how fast 4k tv's price dropped over the years when everyone makes them. Not many are making oled tv's

So a technology that's been on sale for years that hasn't seen much adoption at all is "predicted" to have slow market penetration!?

I will make another shocking prediction that the sky will be blue tomorrow, and water will be wet!

The price of OLED is still too high. I don't know if it's artificial "premium" pricing for a "superior" product, or if the manufacturing costs haven't scaled down very well.

I mean... have you SEEN the Samsung QLED TVs? I have seen them right next to OLED and I couldn't really tell them apart, if anything I liked the QLED better.

The fact is we live in a world now where you can buy a 55" fairly decent 4K TV for like $600 or a "pretty good / OK good enough" TV for half that (TCL, Vizio, etc). Or a shitty TV for even less.

85% of TV buyers either can't tell the difference, or don't want to pay 3x the price for a slightly better looking TV. And then there are seniors like my Mom and other elder friends of mine, who can BARELY tell the difference between 480p and 1080p. My Mom can't. Blu-ray is completely lost on her. 4k? LOL

So, LG needs to get their ass in gear with the OLED manufacturing price scaling... or maybe not? LG makes and sells plenty of those medium grade LED TV's too. They have their hands in both pockets.. the rich one and the not rich ones.

And now for something totally random... what happened to SED? I thought that was the next big big thing and it appears to have vanished.

Bullshit article by a fanboy of Samsung's. I personally have an 65" OLED I bought for my mom 2+ years ago, the E6 model. That bastard is on 10 hours a day. No burn it. When she leaves it on to leave for a minute, it has an all black screen with fireworks display to keep from having "burn in". Cry babies whining about price. It is premium. But that premium has sales from black Friday where the 55" versions have been at $1500 or below. LG Display makes the majority not LG Electronics, 2 separate companies. They have a plant coming online in China next year and a Gen 10.5 plant up this fall to make larger displays. Rumor is CES 2019 price drops will be incoming along with affordable 75" (not 77", different build) and introduction of a new premium 88". LG Display is putting a lot of development into rollable OLED for larger sizes. LG also is putting money into MicroLED. And the ones coming out of South Korea, DON'T have TARIFFS on them as per an agreement with the U.S.A.

OLED overall is more affordable than 2 years ago and sales are proving that. Because you can't get one for $600 like a TCL doesn't mean it isn't premium. Cracks me up when people buy $16K and up in cars they use for an 1 or 2 hours a day, but bitch about a TV with their hazy greyish black levels they watch for under $1000 for 4 or more hours a day.

Get Real. You can't afford a decent $1500 TV, that's what the lower segment is for. Manage your finances better or get a better job.

Back